• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BLT Grand Villa During Refurb?

LivingTheFruit

Earning My Ears
Not members, but considering a rental stay at a Bay Lake Tower Grand Villa for our family in late January 2025. Would you risk staying here, given the BLT rooms will be undergoing refurbishment?

The convenience factor of Contemporary is very alluring. However, the main tower/Garden does not have great options available (comparable in cost) for large groups (plus we have multiple little kids, so a W/D and full fridge are ideal).

Kind Thanks!

BLT's reservation page banner currently indicates refurbishment work from September 2024 to September 2025 so, no, I wouldn't risk a January 2025 reservation. Especially not as a renter.
Why would you not risk it? Noise and other problems related to construction, being bumped, etc.? Asking because we're considering trying for a TP view 2BR for marathon weekend (have BWV booked, but we'll have a 20 month old in a stroller, so we know MK will be a frequent destination).

I wouldn’t risk it either. I avoid staying at resorts during refurb. We have BLT 2 bedroom booked September 2024 and are already looking at options to book at a different resort.

I wouldn't rent a BLT grand villa in the middle of the resort's refurbishment schedule and risk needing to be moved. I wouldn't want to spend the next several months stressing about whether a grand villa, refurbished or not, will be available for me at check in. There are too few alternative units, if they were even available for me to move to, that I would consider comparable or an upgrade from a BLT grand villa. If I was moved to something I considered a downgrade, it is highly likely there will be far differing expectations between DVC and the owner, and the owner and renter, of what would be considered reasonable compensation.

My thoughts are primarily because your post indicates a grand villa, of which there are a limited number, and being a renter rather than owner. I would feel differently as an owner booking a studio, one, or two bedroom reservation at BLT during renovations. A room I would consider comparable or an upgrade is likely to be available for me at BLT or another resort.

I wouldn't rent a BLT grand villa in the middle of the resort's refurbishment schedule and risk needing to be moved. I wouldn't want to spend the next several months stressing about whether a grand villa, refurbished or not, will be available for me at check in. There are too few alternative units, if they were even available for me to move to, that I would consider comparable or an upgrade from a BLT grand villa. If I was moved to something I considered a downgrade, it is highly likely there will be far differing expectations between DVC and the owner, and the owner and renter, of what would be considered reasonable compensation.

My thoughts are primarily because your post indicates a grand villa, of which there are a limited number, and being a renter rather than owner. I would feel differently as an owner booking a studio, one, or two bedroom reservation at BLT during renovations. A room I would consider comparable or an upgrade is likely to be available for me at BLT or another resort.
After the way they handled the boardwalk renovations and relocating people with reservations, I wouldn't even be comfortable booking as an owner.

You make a lot of good points. Thanks so kindly for your help! Bah--a bummer this is no longer an option for us, but definitely good to know ahead of time! I know no matter where we end up, it will be magical, nonetheless. ☺️

On another note, does anybody find it odd that the refurbishment is mentioned on Disney World's site, but if you are booking with points on the DVC site there is no mention whatsoever?

I'm an owner and have a grand villa at BLT reserved for 9 days around the last week of January. This is for a family gathering and had been planned for some time. I believe it would be difficult to change at 7 months anyway. The thought occurred to me (or maybe wishful thinking) that if they did need to move me a good solution would be the 3 bedroom unit at the new Poly tower. This is assuming the tower is completed by then. Just a thought.

I also remember reading here that people thought they would renovate floor at a time. Due to the limit number of 3 bedroom units I think that would be difficult. Do the 15th floor and you take out all the 3 bedroom villas. I'm wondering how they will be proceeding.

I read that Disney typically only refurbs one resort's rooms at a time. Is this true? Both BLT and AKL DVC are due for refurbs... so if that's true, it is probably unlikely that AKL will be undergoing refurb in January, since BLT is due first, and probably won't be done by then? I know no one has a crystal ball, but attempting to gauage what previous experience has been like.

🤔 Trying to determine if I could book AKL with little-to-no risk there'll be any construction at the end of Jan. 2025.

@Sally524 Ah, new Poly rooms would be a great alternative! Hopefully it doesn't come to that for you, but at least it's a possibility, if necessary. As a non-owner, I'm not going to bet on that. We'll have to save BLT for a future trip!

On another note, does anybody find it odd that the refurbishment is mentioned on Disney World's site, but if you are booking with points on the DVC site there is no mention whatsoever?
Yes. I have rooms booked at blt in January and March. I have them set up for split stays so at 7 months I can decide if I want to deal with the refurb or not. Hopefully since they’re supposed to start in September, there are reports of which floors are first and how it’s progressing. I checked the Disney website and both dates have the warning.

Odd. Not at all. Disney IT department is not very good to put it nicely. They will probably add it shortly before construction begins, or they know it will be delayed and aren’t telling us.

I have a 2 Bedroom Theme Park View booked for mid January 2025. From the other details I can find online it seems like they are planning to do top down refurb. I guess I’d either want a low level room (away from the refurb, or the highest possible and hope that by January floor 11/12 will already be done). What type of “movement” did they do for folks during Boardwalk renovation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter