BLT wear and tear

Wingnut330

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a weeklong stay at BLT in 2 different rooms. In my opinion, both rooms were pretty rough. The couches in both rooms were very dirty - we had to have one couch cushion replaced. The furniture and finishings in both rooms were nicked and scraped. The carpets in both rooms was worn and our second room 7818, smelled like a pair of old gym shoes.

It was our first stay there and we love the facility (it's our home resort) but I have to say we were fairly disappointed in how this relatively new resort is aging. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Yes, it has been noted many times. Sadly a poor quality material was used for BLT due to the decisions of the former, head of DVC.

Yep, we were in room 7918 and it was looking very tired, I took pictures and sent them to DVC member services

We were in a 1 bedroom LV on the 14th floor (can't remember the room number) in October and it was in pretty good condition. I can't help but wonder if we got such a good room because our first 3 nights were booked on cash and the last on points. the one thing I did notice was that the sliding bathroom door did not glide smoothly and could get a little stuck/ jammed.

Yep, we were in room 7918 and it was looking very tired, I took pictures and sent them to DVC member services

Would like to see them as an owner if you don't mind, thanks.

OP as well.

I have stayed at BLT many times and have never stayed in a room where wear and tear was a problem.

Sure no room has been perfect.... But no hotel or other DVC property that I have stayed at has been perfect either.

Yes, it has been noted many times. Sadly a poor quality material was used for BLT due to the decisions of the former, head of DVC.

Is anything being done about it? Was your email addressed or responded to?

It's disappointing given what we paid for those points....

We stayed once and didn't notice any wear and tear that stood out. We are probably the least observant people in that way though since it takes a lot to really bother us or for us to notice.

This appears to be a hit or miss situation, when we stayed there this year (on our points with no cash nights), the room we got was fine.

You also get guests who think it's a good idea to move the furniture around in the villa. Like try to move the sleeper chair into the bedroom.

Plus with the solid color sofa color, it is bound to show stains more easily than the print ones in the other resorts.

It depends on the room but we just got back from a stay in the standard view room we have stayed in 3 times before over the last 2 years and nothing in that particular studio seems to be much more worn than it was on our previous stay in it which was over 9 months ago. Since we have stayed in the same room so many times I have seen it over time and it is not as worn as other we have stayed in between times in this one. What that shows me is that a lot of the wear and tear is due to the particular people staying in the room and their use of it. DH and I are not hard on a room but small children can be much harder on a room. As this is a standard view studio I suspect it is never out of service since those are always booked solid.

Quality of furnishings and colors are an issue. We stayed there shortly after opening and our room looked like a wild party had happened. Hole in ceiling, black marks on walls, broken light fixture above table, stains on carpet, and damaged window covering on balcony door.

:earsboy: Bill

I think the BLT opened in '08. We stayed there February of 2010 and were surprised at the stained, ripped sofa.

The next we stayed in a SV with an obvious wear 'stripe' down the middle of the carpeting along with water marks on the black furniture. The sofa was in pretty good shape.

The last time we stayed in a 2Br hoping that it would a less used unit. The sleeper chair looks like it was dragged around open because the Hyde was peeling at the front of the seat cushion. Housekeeping came to check that out while we were there. I had to put the couch together every morning as the cushions wouldn't stay together. We put the accent pillows aside as they molted feathers when used. The side chair ... the back deflated as you leaned against it until you felt the bars. One kitchen bar stool was so loose we put it aside because we were afraid it would break apart. The table ped had big chips missing (how would that happen?). The plaster was bubbled around the showers. Conversely the kitchen looked brand new: appliances, dishes, cookware and flatware.

We love the location, the balconies, having 3 bathrms, CM's, the cleanliness and TOWL. From our previous 2 stays we weren't completely stunned with the condition of the textiles. I did email DVC the list above and they acknowledged my email. Just felt there was so much there that needed to be addressed.

I wouldn't reconsider - the location is amazing and the overall facility is great - you can't beat the convenience. Just be prepared for a few issues in the room and be sure to call facilities with any problems.

We were planning on booking a 2 bedroom next year. Should we reconsider?

I would still stay there, not all rooms will have issues but it was surprising how many had problems so soon after opening. IMO some of the Disney cash guests had some wild parties before the rooms were declared. I have never seen the wear and damage at any other DVC resort.

The other issue for us is that the resort didn't live up to our expectations. The TPV isn't any big deal and the rooms inside the "C" views are also not the greatest.

Everyone should stay everywhere and do everything at least once to decide for themselves.

:earsboy: Bill

We have stayed at our home resort a couple times now, and didn't have any problems. Some paint was peeling in one of the bathrooms once, but that doesn't bother me. It's unfortunate that it's getting run down in some of the rooms. I still love BLT though and wouldn't hesitate to stay there, it has a fantastic location, beds are comfortable and we like the pool.

I would say that 90% of the time the arms of the couch in the studios look dirty. We had 2 dedicated 2BRs and one lock off two bedroom for our family gathering in June and I noticed that the couches in the 1 and dedicated 2 BRS looked fine. The studio's arms looked well used. But the rest of the rooms and the furniture looked great. It was just a bad mistake to use a light beige pull-out couch in the studios.

Not BLT, but our unit at BWV that we just stayed in was gross...there are no other words. We won't stay there again until it's fully renovated.

I guess I can tell DH that his plan to stay at BLT instead "because it's newer and can't be in that bad of shape" is out:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously, why is DVC allowing the existing units to look trashed but yet building seemingly endless newer units?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter