Blue Card Increased Info 100 to 125 (Effective Oct 19)

If it takes 10 - 15 years for it to be worth it to buy direct, at the end of the 48 year contract it will be still be worth it.

I just emailed the guide I've been speaking with about a FW. We like traveling in Fall, but aren't married to always traveling in Fall.

I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask (please redirect me if I'm wrong), but if we had a 110 points with a June UY, could we bank the 2020 points to 2021 and have until May 30, 2022 to use the 2020 and 2021 points?
Agreed here! It's why we also have direct points, as well as FWs.

We don't always plan on traveling during Thanksgiving and early Christmas holidays, but we recognized that it's:
(a) a time period we'd like to be able to travel
(b) is excessively popular
(c) Studios are hard to book
(d) we love the idea of avoiding the hassle of having to book studios when we do want to go
(e) love that we can just cancel that week and use the points for another trip, or bank into next year

So for that reason the FWs work for us! At some point, we may also pick up FW 44 somewhere for that Halloween/F&W as well.

As to your final question - yes, you could bank your 110 points into 2021 and have from Jun 1 to May 30 2022 to use both 2020 and 2021 points.

If it takes 10 - 15 years for it to be worth it to buy direct, at the end of the 48 year contract it will be still be worth it.

I just emailed the guide I've been speaking with about a FW. We like traveling in Fall, but aren't married to always traveling in Fall.

I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask (please redirect me if I'm wrong), but if we had a 110 points with a June UY, could we bank the 2020 points to 2021 and have until May 30, 2022 to use the 2020 and 2021 points?

Sure can!

You are taking a risk because the AP benefit is not guaranteed, and the savings associated with it bounce around quite a bit year to year. I tend to think there will be a DVC AP benefit for the next 20+ years but It could end tomorrow.

That said, if you can afford it and you are comfortable with the numbers, and it will make you happy, you should ignore this random internet stranger and buy it! It’s a blessing when we get to spend our money on something that brings us joy.

You are taking a risk because the AP benefit is not guaranteed, and the savings associated with it bounce around quite a bit year to year. I tend to think there will be a DVC AP benefit for the next 20+ years but It could end tomorrow.

That said, if you can afford it and you are comfortable with the numbers, and it will make you happy, you should ignore this random internet stranger and buy it! It’s a blessing when we get to spend our money on something that brings us joy.

I need some joy in my life. I'm sure everyone does, but your words have greater impact than you think. ❤️

I need some joy in my life. I'm sure everyone does, but your words have greater impact than you think. ❤

+1
Not to be an enabler, but in your case my gut feeling is direct makes sense if you can afford it.

Sounds like you know you will go once per year (at least) for many years to come. Planning to have kids so there's a high probability of you using your membership 20+ years from now... in which case you wouldn't want to be locked out of any new resorts that may be built over the next two decades... or if you're planning on mixing direct with resale, you'd at least have some points that are "future proof".

Good luck

When we owned DVC we were true blue members. Absolutely loved it, so I can’t say much bad about it (okay maybe a bit about housekeeping and maintenance).
That said, to predict, and make a decision on what you will want 40 years down the road..... no matter how much you love Disney, is ludicrous.

I sold my BLT about 8 years ago but looking to buy again. What is a blue card?

I sold my BLT about 8 years ago but looking to buy again. What is a blue card?
To get the full benefits if being a dvc member you need the blue card. If you're not currently a member you have to buy direct from Disney to get the blue card. Right now the minimum is 100 points but soon going up to needing 125 points.

We live in the Bay Area, and are considering buying direct points before the increase to 125. Looking for feedback on if the benefits are worth it if we primarily visit Disneyland? The direct benefits seem to favor WDW over DL?
Thanks in advance- new to DVC! If there is already a discussion about this please point me in the right direction!

We live in the Bay Area, and are considering buying direct points before the increase to 125. Looking for feedback on if the benefits are worth it if we primarily visit Disneyland? The direct benefits seem to favor WDW over DL?
Thanks in advance- new to DVC! If there is already a discussion about this please point me in the right direction!
The benefits that apply to Disneyland are minimal. It’s possible this will change when they open the Disneyland DVC tower in 2023.

What resort are you looking to purchase? Grand Californian is sold out and has a wait list that is several years long.

The benefits that apply to Disneyland are minimal. It’s possible this will change when they open the Disneyland DVC tower in 2023.

What resort are you looking to purchase? Grand Californian is sold out and has a wait list that is several years long.
We just passed ROFR on a Grand Cal contract, so we'll have resale points there. We were thinking Saratoga for a direct 100 point contract since it seems the most economical.

I'm worried about how high the minimum point buy in will be by the time the Disneyland Tower opens. We wouldn't be able to afford like 200 points at $230/point, so I'm trying to plan ahead in case we want the blue card.

Please correct me if I'm wrong- but is there a minimum amount of points you can buy direct at resorts (disregarding benefits) if we aren't direct owners already? For example, since we'll own at VGC (resale), we might not be able to buy a smaller contract at the Disneyland Tower when it goes on sale since we aren't direct owners yet?

Thank you!

We just passed ROFR on a Grand Cal contract, so we'll have resale points there. We were thinking Saratoga for a direct 100 point contract since it seems the most economical.

I'm worried about how high the minimum point buy in will be by the time the Disneyland Tower opens. We wouldn't be able to afford like 200 points at $230/point, so I'm trying to plan ahead in case we want the blue card.

Please correct me if I'm wrong- but is there a minimum amount of points you can buy direct at resorts (disregarding benefits) if we aren't direct owners already? For example, since we'll own at VGC (resale), we might not be able to buy a smaller contract at the Disneyland Tower when it goes on sale since we aren't direct owners yet?

Thank you!
As an owner you can buy less than the minimum for resorts. It used to be 25 for cash and 50 for finance.

The past few resorts they said minimum is 50. That may or may not stay the same.

Bur you would not have to reach the blue card minimum just to buy at The new DL tower.

I emotionally so want to buy before minimum goes up next month but running the numbers it just doesn't make sense for our family. We go every other year, my son is 14, and we are happy staying at value resorts. I was thinking of buying 100 points at CC but looking at annual dues increasing yearly that small amount now grows pretty big down the road. Still wavering but that money in a retirement fund would probably be wiser. Guess I still have some time to decide!

I emotionally so want to buy before minimum goes up next month but running the numbers it just doesn't make sense for our family. We go every other year, my son is 14, and we are happy staying at value resorts. I was thinking of buying 100 points at CC but looking at annual dues increasing yearly that small amount now grows pretty big down the road. Still wavering but that money in a retirement fund would probably be wiser. Guess I still have some time to decide!

In your case, I think it would not be about savings over values, but getting the deluxe experience for a similar price.

Will say, studios at CCV are hard to get and if you are content with where you stay, it may prove frustrating to have to change the booking style owning CCV for studios requires...unless you buy a fixed week.

DVC is a lot and don’t jump in unless you feel comfortable. When we bought, we did stay deluxe but we knew for about the same price, we could stay in 1 bedrooms instead,

Of course, 11 years later and I went from owning 180 to 775 so no savings at all...but the initial Plan was a good one.

Are CCV studios hard to get at 11 month if you own there?
Yes. Studios at CCV can be challenging even at 11 months, especially during Fall Frenzy (Sep-Jan). This is one reason we bought Fixed Weeks direct.

we mainly do DL too and I wouldn’t buy direct in your shoes. I have a 25 point direct contract at AKV in addition to my GCV resale points-grabbed the former when that was the minimum for blue card benefits. Really-barely worth it for us at that level And wouldn’t be at 100. We visit WDW every few years, so the AP will probably never be useful-and the Epcot lounge was pleasant for about 1/2 an hour but definitely not worth thousands.

I have Disney Visa which I think gives discounts too...what does the Blue Card offer?

we mainly do DL too and I wouldn’t buy direct in your shoes. I have a 25 point direct contract at AKV in addition to my GCV resale points-grabbed the former when that was the minimum for blue card benefits. Really-barely worth it for us at that level And wouldn’t be at 100. We visit WDW every few years, so the AP will probably never be useful-and the Epcot lounge was pleasant for about 1/2 an hour but definitely not worth thousands.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm curious if perhaps DL will offer a more substantial AP discount for DVC Members once the Disneyland Tower is open? But with the large number of AP locals, who knows 🤷🏻‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter