Boarding groups - Any thoughts/rumors on when this might end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry, I don't see how you can compare military projects to theme park attractions. Those are two different things. Yes I would guess those projects are more technical than theme parks in many regards but they also aren't the same.

I don't know why one would be glad to not try to ride. Its an amazing attraction. I think it would also help you understand more about what is going on.

And they have done that testing. If they hadn't this attraction wouldn't have opened when it did. Like I have mentioned before this also isn't a Disney issue. Universal is having the same troubles with a complete different complex attraction.

First, no need to apologize. Second, you implied what project's I worked on previously and I gave you the answer to which your response is their different. Of course their different...if I worked on theme park attractions as a PM I probably would be violating my NDA posting on these boards. You should know that.

Third, trying to ride is not the issue, but the mechanisms in order to do so that I don't agree with. Again, the testing should have been completed to open the attraction as SB or FP. I don't understand why this is a difficult concept (said respectfully as I don't want to incur infractions).

We've done "testing" on projects, but that could equate to 60% efficiency or 99.9% efficiency. So when you say they did testing that's like me saying, I drove my car. It doesn't tell me how far I've went or how fast I've gone.

First, no need to apologize. Second, you implied what project's I worked on previously and I gave you the answer to which your response is their different. Of course their different...if I worked on theme park attractions as a PM I probably would be violating my NDA posting on these boards. You should know that.

Third, trying to ride is not the issue, but the mechanisms in order to do so that I don't agree with. Again, the testing should have been completed to open the attraction as SB or FP. I don't understand why this is a difficult concept (said respectfully as I don't want to incur infractions).

We've done "testing" on projects, but that could equate to 60% efficiency or 99.9% efficiency. So when you say they did testing that's like me saying, I drove my car. It doesn't tell me how far I've went or how far I've gone.
IMO based on knowledge of the attraction both inside sources and reading various things online I feel they did enough testing. I remain of the opinion that this ride is going to take a lot of time before it’s running very well. As you also should know mechanical things don’t always work like they are supposed to. Now yes I will agree there was a rush here due to money. However at the same time the ride was ready for people. With or without the issues thousands of people are riding every day. To me it’s an it is what it is type of thing now.

I truly recommend a ride on this as soon as you can too.

[QUOTE="TheMaxRebo, post: 61593313, member: 174177] Both have had technical issues - personally I prefer the BG process vs just standing in line but I know others have differing views

I prefer a ride to open without the need for a recovery system knows as BG. Seems to me like a predetermined mindset that they knew the ride wasn't ready for a holistic opening.
[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, sure - it would be great if every ride opened and worked flawlessly, but that rarely happens. FoP had issues when it first opened, Test Track had major issues when it first opened (which was a big delay for original date) and still has issues, Hagrid's has had issues as discussed.

Honestly RotR performed BETTER than I expected when it first opened (certainly better than Hagrid's did) - I do think it is concerning that performance of the ride hasn't moved since opening and actually, until the last few days seemed to be performing worse than earlier in the opening. So makes me concerned that this is just something that will plague the ride long term.

IMO based on knowledge of the attraction both inside sources and reading various things online I feel they did enough testing. I remain of the opinion that this ride is going to take a lot of time before it’s running very well. As you also should know mechanical things don’t always work like they are supposed to. Now yes I will agree there was a rush here due to money. However at the same time the ride was ready for people. With or without the issues thousands of people are riding every day. To me it’s an it is what it is type of thing now.

I truly recommend a ride on this as soon as you can too.

As someone else said, the ride is flawed (and I agree with him/her). Conceptually, it is very strong and, when working, I'm sure is an incredible experience. I don't agree the ride was ready for people. It was ready for a group of people, not...and I'm going to use the word I think I coined earlier...masses.

I'm not worried about the thousands or people riding it everyday; I'm more concerned about the families/guests that abides by this new concept known as BG and still are unable to ride. Don't you have compassion for those folks?

Personally, I'm looking forward to Hollywood Studios after dark. A hot ride with a low capacity just means its going to be a challenge to ride.
They won't do any add on events until the nightly maintenance isn't needed to this capacity. Its not even part of EMH currently.

Only the Ancients know and in reality it will come down to when they get the ride running more reliably

I will just add that were there past Monday (Presidents Day) with three small kids and while very crowded it really wasn't bad. Everyone was very friendly and chatting before BGs went live and after we were all lead calmly into Galaxy's Edge - no running or shoving or anything.

Yes. The lack of running to rides IMO is a lot safer. We did the running of the bulls for Hagrid’s. A woman in her 40s shoved my 9 year old out of her way in order to sprint past.

We got our kids up and to the park an hour before park open. We waited near the front of the rope drop line. We didn’t sprint. We walked with purpose and had sprinters go flying past us. We got to Hagrid’s in a reasonable amount of time. Went into the queue. And stopped dead while the ride was down. We waited 2.5 hours in the queue, knowing that if we left before they dumped the line, we would get nothing for our time. We couldn’t go on other rides during that time. And we waited an hour at the gate. We had no idea if they would get it running it not while we waited. I don’t understand why people think that is better then getting there half an hour before park opens and knowing at the end of that half hour if you have a good chance to ride or not. Stby has a lot of the same issues that people have with BGs.

I’m really happy we get a chance to ride 2 brand new e ticket rides with fairly minimal waits (BG + Tier 1 FP) per day at HS. I really hope they don’t get rid of BGs before my trip.

I would think that especially for a ride as complex as ROTR, no amount of pre-opening testing is ever going to replicate real-life conditions where the attraction is flooded by crowds of people of all shapes and sizes who may or may not listen to or completely follow instructions.

As someone else said, the ride is flawed (and I agree with him/her). Conceptually, it is very strong and, when working, I'm sure is an incredible experience. I don't agree the ride was ready for people. It was ready for a group of people, not...and I'm going to use the word I think I coined earlier...masses.

I'm not worried about the thousands or people riding it everyday; I'm more concerned about the families/guests that abides by this new concept known as BG and still are unable to ride. Don't you have compassion for those folks?
No matter what system you use not everyone is going to be able to ride. In this situation this is the best option. Even if the ride is running at full capacity without any downtime not everyone in the park is going to get to ride. You'll have people that would be upset about not getting a FP or refusing to stand in a 5+ hour line. This is an attraction that certainly warrants that type of line when they do open it up to standby.

Honestly RotR performed BETTER than I expected when it first opened (certainly better than Hagrid's did) - I do think it is concerning that performance of the ride hasn't moved since opening and actually, until the last few days seemed to be performing worse than earlier in the opening. So makes me concerned that this is just something that will plague the ride long term.

But with the improvements in technology and reliability with PCB's, etc. why has this attraction slipped from it's original timeline/operating-efficiency? I'll stick to my guns and say they underestimated the testing phase by leaps and bounds.

Yes, some/most folks that are willing to put the effort in are rewarded with riding. But, I honestly don't think this was the vision when project plan/charter was established. To me, it's an awful slip and schedule failure.

Yes, some/most folks that are willing to put the effort in are rewarded with riding.
Don't you have to put in effort in order to ride any attraction? Whether its getting up to get a FP at 7AM 60 days before your trip or waiting in line? Every attraction requires some effort. You rarely see walk ons thee days.

Don't you have to put in effort in order to ride any attraction? Whether its getting up to get a FP at 7AM 60 days before your trip or waiting in line? Every attraction requires some effort. You rarely see walk ons thee days.

Shifting focus away again from RotR....but I'll say Carousel of Progress only requires walking, not a FP. It also takes effort for me to use the restroom, but I am missing your point. The BG procedure is a new, time sensitive process that some guests are unaware of.

Shifting focus away again from RotR....but I'll say Carousel of Progress only requires walking, not a FP. It also takes effort for me to use the restroom, but I am missing your point. The BG procedure is a new, time sensitive process that some guests are unaware of.
Of course but there are many guests unaware of FP too. I know people who have asked me "don't you have to pay extra for FP?"

I remain under the belief that if you do your research and plan accordingly you should be able to ride RotR no problem unless of course there is some big issue outside of your control like the one instance that the attraction did not open until like 2PM. That can happen with any attraction though. Just last week I believe it was Big Thunder was closed for hours during the day.

BGs work fine based on ride reliability for now and the foreseeable future. Unlike any other attraction. This one has more moving parts to work through. Some days are better than others. Again, it's an understanding the system thing. 4 trips now. BGs 23, 7 ,7, 9. And bgs are gone within 2 minutes

Of course but there are many guests unaware of FP too. I know people who have asked me "don't you have to pay extra for FP?"

I remain under the belief that if you do your research and plan accordingly you should be able to ride RotR no problem unless of course there is some big issue outside of your control like the one instance that the attraction did not open until like 2PM. That can happen with any attraction though. Just last week I believe it was Big Thunder was closed for hours during the day.

OK...I'll stop here and call it a night with good grief. If you want to continue other aspects of this discussion, send me the message on Facebook (you know my background). Good night.

Agreed. The fact that 90%, of the guests across parks on any given day didnt do their homework isnt anyone fault but their own. And works to the benefit of those of us who have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter