BOOKED! Advice on Hong Kong and Tokyo Disney

As above, he got there really early and I suppose being white and my son is super excitable and chatty, they may have charmed the staff :) The 3 of us got to open Universal in Sinagapore on the same trip - Same thing - Just smiled and chatted to the staff prior to opening :)

The countdown is now on and it's time to actually start to plan some things! Planning a trip while working full time is so different compared to planning while working casually :rolleyes1 other than our hotels and flights we have not booked anything and our schedule is still not 100% locked in. 10 days is much easier than 29 though!

Is there a travel sim that anyone would recommend that will work in both Hong Kong and Japan? I've browsed a few websites this morning but figured the advice on here is always better. Woolies seem like a decent option, they have cheaper rates than travel sim or Aussie sim. But I can only purchase a nano sim online so I'll need to order in the next few days to allow for delivery, just in case it takes longer than 7 business days. Only downfall I can see is they don't support MMS yet but I wasn't sure if iMessage would be a way around that using data?

We'll mainly be using data and texting to stay in touch with people back home. So any advice would be great :goodvibes

The countdown is now on and it's time to actually start to plan some things! Planning a trip while working full time is so different compared to planning while working casually :rolleyes1 other than our hotels and flights we have not booked anything and our schedule is still not 100% locked in. 10 days is much easier than 29 though!

Is there a travel sim that anyone would recommend that will work in both Hong Kong and Japan? I've browsed a few websites this morning but figured the advice on here is always better. Woolies seem like a decent option, they have cheaper rates than travel sim or Aussie sim. But I can only purchase a nano sim online so I'll need to order in the next few days to allow for delivery, just in case it takes longer than 7 business days. Only downfall I can see is they don't support MMS yet but I wasn't sure if iMessage would be a way around that using data?

We'll mainly be using data and texting to stay in touch with people back home. So any advice would be great :goodvibes
Which telco do you use?
Vodafone have $5 per day roaming - you only pay for the days you actually use it (days are calculated on "home" time) this uses calls & data from your plan
I no longer bother with overseas SIMs

We leave for Japan in 2 days! Yay!
We are renting a personal wifi and will also use wifi in the hotels. We have all put Skype on our phones, so if we get separated and can find a free wifi (for those not holding onto the personal wifi) we can Skype each other.
In case of something dire (ie we lose a child and are not in wifi area) we all have Vodafone, so will use the $5 a day thing.

We're both with Optus. We're now looking to a personal wifi that allows two devices to use it for Tokyo. Unsure for Hong Kong.

We booked our Disney tickets today but airport transfers are proving hard to prebook. The travel agent who booked our flights was unable to book them as they don't service the Disney Resort area apparently which is very strange for a company like Escape.

The hotel recommends the airport limousine bus but the last one leaves the airport at 7 pm and by the time we arrive and clear customs it will be gone. Plus you can't pre-book a seat.

Any advice or suggestions? We don't really want to be testing the train system late on a Saturday night with luggage! We're flying into Haneda and out of Narita.

Woo hoo aussie shaz!!! Do you have airport transfers pre-booked?

Thanks in advanced!

We arrive at about 8am and are heading to Shinjuku, so we're taking the limo bus. I did have the option of the Nex train but, like you, didn't want to deal with the train as soon as we arrived.
We are leaving from the Hilton Tokyo Bay and will probably use the limobus. Need to look more into times though, as it says it will get to the airport 2 hours prior to our departure, and I'm not a risk taker. So I'll see how I feel when it gets closer.

Looking for some feedback on our single days in Hong Kong and Tokyo. If you think there is a must see/do that we haven't included let me know! I also tried to plan out the public transport we'll be using, to try to make our days seamless to get to everything.

Also other than Shinjuku Goyoen gardens where would be a great place to see the cherry blossoms if they are still in bloom?

13th April- Explore Hong Kong
-MTR: Tung Chung -> Lai King -> Prince Edward -> Wong Tai Sin
-Wong Tai Sin temple
-MRT: Wong Tai Sin -> Mong Kok
-Ladies markets, Tung Choi Street
-MRT: Mong Kok -> Yau Tai Mei, walk
-Jade markets, Battery Street
-Walk
-Fortunes in Temple street
-MRT: Jordan -> Tsim Sha Tsui, walk
-Museums near Star Avenue
-Avenue of Stars
-Star Ferry to Central
-Mid level escalators
-Tram ? -> Garden Road Peak tram Terminus
-Tram to The Peak, shopping, late lunch/early dinner at Bubba Gumps
-Hong Kong observation wheel
-Star Ferry to Kowloon
-Symphony of the Stars 8pm
-MTR: Kowloon -> Tung Chung

16th April-
-Ngong Ping cable cars
-Tian Tin Buddha
-Citygate outlets
-4:55 pm flight to Tokyo

17th April- Explore Tokyo
-Train Maihama -> Shin-Kiba -> Yurakucho
-Shopping around Tokyo Station
-Walk to Imperial Palace
-Train to Nijubashi-Mae -> Hibiya (switch lines)-> Kamiyacho, walk
-View Tokyo Tower
-Train Kamiyacho to Roppongi, walk
-Lunch at Hard Rock Café, Minato
-Train Roppongi -> Aoyama- Itchome (switch lines) -> Shibuya
-Hachiko statue, Shibuya crossing
-Train Shibuya -> Meiji-Jingumae
-Hirajuku, Takeshita street
-Walk
-Meiji-Jingu shire
-Train Meiji-Jingumae ->Shinjuku-sanchome (switch lines) -> Shinjuku-gyoemmae
-Shinjuku Goyoen gardens
-Train Shinjuku-gyoemmae -> Ginza
-Walk to Ginzaicchom (550 meters)
-Train Ginzaicchom -> Shin-Kiba -> Maihama

Those days are VERY full! I would consider cutting down on the number of attractions / places that you want to visit.

My partner and I are normally on the go from 7am to 12pm when on holiday and I'm not sure even we could fit in everything that you have planned on the 13th and 16th. Unless, you're not intending on actually experiencing the things you're visiting (e.g. if you're just looking at the Imperial Palace as opposed to walking through the gardens and if you're just going to look at Tokyo Tower as opposed to actually going to the top).

The markets in Hong Kong would be based on how we like the Ladies's Markets. We may only stop for a few stalls and move onto the Jade Markets. Or we may only do the Ladies's Markets. They won't make or break it for us, mainly just the opportunity to buy a few knick-knacks. The museum near Star Avenue are the same. We'll possibly visit one, if any at all. Taking that into account I think Hong Kong will be doable. But as long as I visit some markets, ride the Star Ferry and visit The Peak I'm set.

Tokyo is just an outline of all the places that have been suggested to us that we like. I only added the Imperial Palace last night so that may not stick anyway. Shinjuku Goyoen gardens is only to see the cherry blossoms if they are still flowering, unless we see them earlier in the day.

Thanks for your feedback though Agent 86 because it's hard to plan for one day when you've never been to the city before.

If I recall correctly, it's your first time to Hong Kong and Tokyo. It can take some time to get around Tokyo by subway / train. Their public transport is incredibly efficient, but some of the stations are also huge. As such, it can take a decent amount of time to navigate between platforms, especially amongst the crowds. The number of train journeys on your list for the 17th would themselves take a fair chunk of your time.

I would prioritise what you want to see. If your main aim is to the see the cherry blossoms, then head to the gardens first thing. That way, you won't risk being on the opposite side of town and realising that you won't make it to the gardens before they close. Or getting too exhausted from all of your other sightseeing and wanting to head back to the hotel instead of viewing the cherry blossoms.

Markets, Star Ferry and The Peak is doable in a single day in Hong Kong. But, it obviously depends upon what you want to do at each location. We probably spent at least four hours "doing" The Peak. We rode the trolley up and down, which took time waiting in line as it's popular, we walked around the top of The Peak, we had lunch at Bubba Gumps and we had a quick look at the shopping centres at the top of The Peak.

We're in Tokyo now and you won't be able to do all of that in one day.
Also, the cherry blossoms in Tokyo will be long gone by then. They are close to peak now and will be gone in about a week. So, unless you like gardens, cut out Shinjuku gardens.
We went to Tokyo tower, but only to look at it. The lines were huge to get up, so if you're planning on going up, that will take a big chunk of your time. Otherwise, just see it from a distance.
Harajuku and Takeshita Dori were interesting and fun. It was packed when we were there on Monday, but it's still school holidays now. It won't take you long to see it.
We did Shibuya last night and it was great. Just seeing the statue and crossing takes no time as its right at the station, but the area is great to experience, with everyone around. We went to a great Sushi train restaurant called Genki sushi. It was heaps of fun and really cheap. I don't go for sushi, but it was worth a try and there's also a few western plates. The whole family loved it. Shibuya also has a really cool looking Disney Store. Chockers when I went last night, but fun to see.
We went to Asakusa and Sensoji temple and thought it was lovely.
We're not doing Tokyo station, Ginza or Meiji Jingu, so can't comment.

We're in Tokyo now and you won't be able to do all of that in one day.
Also, the cherry blossoms in Tokyo will be long gone by then. They are close to peak now and will be gone in about a week. So, unless you like gardens, cut out Shinjuku gardens.
We went to Tokyo tower, but only to look at it. The lines were huge to get up, so if you're planning on going up, that will take a big chunk of your time. Otherwise, just see it from a distance.
Harajuku and Takeshita Dori were interesting and fun. It was packed when we were there on Monday, but it's still school holidays now. It won't take you long to see it.
We did Shibuya last night and it was great. Just seeing the statue and crossing takes no time as its right at the station, but the area is great to experience, with everyone around. We went to a great Sushi train restaurant called Genki sushi. It was heaps of fun and really cheap. I don't go for sushi, but it was worth a try and there's also a few western plates. The whole family loved it. Shibuya also has a really cool looking Disney Store. Chockers when I went last night, but fun to see.
We went to Asakusa and Sensoji temple and thought it was lovely.
We're not doing Tokyo station, Ginza or Meiji Jingu, so can't comment.

Thanks Aussie Shaz this is really handy info given that you're there right now :-) a coworker gave me a lonely planet guide on Tokyo today so I'll also take a flick through that and see what I can come up with. I've found Tokyo really hard to plan once we cut back our time to get the cheaper flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter