• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Booked Aulani...fingers crossed

newdeal

DIS Veteran
Already booked the flights thinking it would be fine by the time our trip rolled around February 19-27...7 months away and I am getting worried that either Hawaii won't be open, or we won't be able to get from Canada to the USA. Fingers crossed that we can get there and that we don't have to isolate for 2 weeks after coming home by then...

Already booked the flights thinking it would be fine by the time our trip rolled around February 19-27...7 months away and I am getting worried that either Hawaii won't be open, or we won't be able to get from Canada to the USA. Fingers crossed that we can get there and that we don't have to isolate for 2 weeks after coming home by then...
Will cross fingers for you! The travel restrictions may be lifted by February, but I would still be prepared to wear a mask on the plane and in Hawaii. I don't think those requirements are going away for a while.

I have read that the expectation is Fall/Winter may see a dip in cases, and then a resurgence in the Spring/Summer similar to what we saw this year. Hopefully that bodes well for February travel!

I don't mind wearing a mask on the plane, also we are in first class so we have a little more room on the leg that goes to SFO and on the leg from SFO to HNL its the lie flat seats so we basically have barriers enclosing us due to the pod like nature of those seats. Also both legs are 2 seats side by side and there are 4 of us going so we won't be shoulder to shoulder with a stranger at least. Our credit card points have a set price for tickets up to a maximum ticket price so flying first class uses the same number of points, we have to pay tax anyway, and we get free bags instead of having to pay so basically works out to be the same price for us when flying from Toronto ($5500 Canadian total for 4 round trip first class tickets and the points picks up $4400 of that vs $2200 for 4 coach tickets but we have to pay around $140 or so per person in tax since points don't cover tax and we would also have to pay for bags and food, tax on a first class ticket is about the same as a coach ticket in spite of the price difference)

Who are you using for travel medical insurance? I’m not aware of any Canadian insurer covering Covid, so If you’re willing to share the name, it would be appreciated.

Who are you using for travel medical insurance? I’m not aware of any Canadian insurer covering Covid, so If you’re willing to share the name, it would be appreciated.

We don't generally purchase travel medical insurance and just use the insurance that comes with our credit card. Because it comes with the card I am not aware of any exclusions for COVID, that said I am not sure if its covered but I am also not that concerned. Also any treatment needed in Hawaii would be prior to a COVID diagnosis due to how long symptoms take to develop and how long tests take to come back but again I am not really worried about that. We will distance, sanitize and wear masks.

Most CC do not have health insurance coverage, just trip cancellation/disruption insurance. I would recommend calling your cc.

Also any treatment needed in Hawaii would be prior to a COVID diagnosis due to how long symptoms take to develop and how long tests take to come back but again I am not really worried about that. We will distance, sanitize and wear masks.

This is very confusing to me. If you need treatment in Hawaii for symptoms that could be COVID, you would plan to fly back to Canada prior to when a COVID test would result? Exposing everyone on the plane to a possible infection? What if there is a test that takes an hour to return a result? And before a test, nothing you were seen or treated for could retrospectively be billed as COVID related medical care?

I don't have a lot of experience with the Canadian health care system - just what my family-by-marriage in Canada tells me - but as an American health care provider, I see a lot of issues with this plan......

Most CC do not have health insurance coverage, just trip cancellation/disruption insurance. I would recommend calling your cc.
Three of my cards have travel health insurance coverage. Maybe it's different in Canada or else because I use points cards that's a common benefit.

Three of my cards have travel health insurance coverage. Maybe it's different in Canada or else because I use points cards that's a common benefit.

Dang I can't believe I didn't even think of this hurdle. I have one years coverage from BCAA that expires next January but unless Canada lifts the travel warnings there's no Covid coverage.....

Wishing you good luck. I don't have plane tickets, but we were considering traveling to Aulani for Spring Break in March and I'm getting cold feet. I was in Aulani last March when this all started. I live in the USA, but nervous about the need to present a negative test result 3 days prior to arrival (what Hawaii plans to do starting August 1) -- if I can't get the negative result within the needed timeframe, then you are required to follow the 14 day quarantine. I wish I had some inkling of what March will look like (me and the rest of the world, right?)

We don't generally purchase travel medical insurance and just use the insurance that comes with our credit card. Because it comes with the card I am not aware of any exclusions for COVID, that said I am not sure if its covered but I am also not that concerned. Also any treatment needed in Hawaii would be prior to a COVID diagnosis due to how long symptoms take to develop and how long tests take to come back but again I am not really worried about that. We will distance, sanitize and wear masks.

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt... :sad2:

This is very confusing to me. If you need treatment in Hawaii for symptoms that could be COVID, you would plan to fly back to Canada prior to when a COVID test would result? Exposing everyone on the plane to a possible infection? What if there is a test that takes an hour to return a result? And before a test, nothing you were seen or treated for could retrospectively be billed as COVID related medical care?

I don't have a lot of experience with the Canadian health care system - just what my family-by-marriage in Canada tells me - but as an American health care provider, I see a lot of issues with this plan......
Hawaii travel will require a negative Covid test taken 3 days or less prior to travel, so it is unlikely the OP would have Covid on the way to Hawaii. OP said that if he/she did develop Covid in Hawaii, due to the incubation period it's likely OP wouldn't be aware until after returning to Canada (if symptoms ever developed at all). Not an airtight scenario but there are no airtight scenarios now.

Best of luck, OP! I'm planning a trip there for June, as well. I'm hoping testing will be quicker then than it is now. The 72 hour turnaround time is the biggest uncertainty. We're willing to pay for & take the test, but we'll need the results before flying to Hawaii.

We had a trip in late June that we rebooked for Easter break (late March). I am getting nervous because of the testing...not the test itself but the fact that you might get a false positive test. Then you are 72 hours away from your trip and I am not sure at that point about cancelling and getting your money back. We have Aulani as well as a condo on Maui booked. I might cancel the closer we get if the tests don't become more reliable.

Do they require masks at Aulani? I don't want to go if everyone else isn't wearing one.

Do they require masks at Aulani? I don't want to go if everyone else isn't wearing one.
They undoubtedly will require masks upon reopening. All Disney properties do, and Hawaii does, as well.

They probably won't be required in the pool area, though.

The WDW resorts aren’t requiring them on the pool decks (from what I’m reading—I haven’t been). And I can’t imagine what will happen to the pool chair situation if they space them out 6’ apart.

I live in the USA, but nervous about the need to present a negative test result 3 days prior to arrival (what Hawaii plans to do starting August 1) -- if I can't get the negative result within the needed timeframe, then you are required to follow the 14 day quarantine.

The 14 day quarantine was extended until at least September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter