Booked Aulani...fingers crossed

We had a trip in late June that we rebooked for Easter break (late March). I am getting nervous because of the testing...not the test itself but the fact that you might get a false positive test. Then you are 72 hours away from your trip and I am not sure at that point about cancelling and getting your money back. We have Aulani as well as a condo on Maui booked. I might cancel the closer we get if the tests don't become more reliable.
Yes, the testing is throwing a huge wrench into planned trips. What happens if one person in party is tested positive? Will hotels and airlines refund/provide credits? Will home counties require quarantine for all members in group? We had a trip planned for October, but cancelled. The testing issue just raised too many unanswered questions.

Yes, the testing is throwing a huge wrench into planned trips. What happens if one person in party is tested positive? Will hotels and airlines refund/provide credits?
I would say those issues are the travelers' responsibility, keeping in mind that most airlines & resorts are more flexible than usual in regards to changes & cancellation now. A top Hawaiian resort that I'm looking at only requires cancellation 24 hours in advance. I'm booking the first night separately from the rest of the trip, so if I have to cancel last minute, only one night's lodging costs are on the line. But I'm definitely not renting DVC points for Aulani, for example. Non-refundable & unchangeable reservations to Hawaii are just too risky right now.

But aside from vendor flexibility, that is the kind of thing travel insurance is for. If you're Covid positive, your doctor will order you not to travel, which would be a medical reason not to travel. And to be on the safe side, a cancel for any reason policy is a good idea for any travel right now.

My big concern is not testing positive before the trip (as we'll be prepared for that if it happens), but the possibility of the testing not being completed within the required turnaround time. 72 hours is not currently realistic for where I live. I'm hoping that situation will be much improved by June, when we plan to travel. It's a gamble but I'm willing to roll with it, given airline & resort flexibility and the fact that other travel options are so limited at this point.

The 14 day quarantine was extended until at least September.
Yes, but Hawaii is moving in the direction of allowing a negative test result in place of the 14-day quarantine. You just have to have your test done within 72 hours of travel. March seems like an eternity away right now given the unknown nature of the virus and the twists and turns that have come with it.

Can someone remind me of the current policy on holding points with DVC? Is DVC currently waiving holding? I'm good with a cancellation (if necessary) but the penalty of points in holding would be a real drag if I had to cancel inside the 31 day window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter