• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Booking into 2013

AllieV said:
How much was the rack rate? So they'll adjust the price later without losing the reservation? I saw may 2012 rooms at HRH for under $200 and am hoping to find that for 2013.

Yes if you book rack rate right now and when it gets closer to your dates you can call and they will switch it to lower rates without loosing your reservation
Just keep checking for the lower rates

Wallet found but still can't book May 2013; they are admitting to having through April, though.

How much was the rack rate? So they'll adjust the price later without losing the reservation? I saw may 2012 rooms at HRH for under $200 and am hoping to find that for 2013.

Rack rate was $224/night plus tax, which apparently comes to $252/night. Like PP said, the reservationist also let me know that a discount can be applied down the line. This is for the second week in January, so I definitely would not be surprised to see that come down. I'm not sure when discounts tend to be released for early 2013, though?

Edited to add that this is for a standard room with a request for a view of the parks. I was told that this is not a separate booking category, but a request only available for the standard category. We need a crib, and I was told there is no additional charge for that.

So I called again for the May 2013 room and now they're telling me to check in august or september. Oy.

AllieV said:
So I called again for the May 2013 room and now they're telling me to check in august or september. Oy.

That sounds about right cause I always have to wait til November or December for June rates

I called last night. I wanted to check on room rates and availability for the Royal Pacific (early Jan. or mid Feb.). The nice lady on the other end of the phone could not give me rates. Not even rack rates. She said that the Partner Hotel rates had been released last week, and they hoped maybe by next week they could give me a quote!

Holy cow. Who knew it would be this difficult to plan that far in advance?

I called last night. I wanted to check on room rates and availability for the Royal Pacific (early Jan. or mid Feb.). The nice lady on the other end of the phone could not give me rates. Not even rack rates. She said that the Partner Hotel rates had been released last week, and they hoped maybe by next week they could give me a quote!

Holy cow. Who knew it would be this difficult to plan that far in advance?

That is funny, I called and got the exact opposite information. I called and asked about rates for Feb 2013, and was given a rate for President's Weekend ($319 per night at RPR). I also asked about partner hotels, and they told me that those rates wouldn't be out until sometime in August!

some of the call centers that your call goes to, can really give confusing information about booking way in advance.

you might want to hang up and call again or ask to put the supervisor on the phone to help you.

Sounds like you guys are calling different places. You can call Loews Hotels directly which will give you more accurate information than calling Universal Vacations. The person who was told they just released partner hotel info, must have been calling Universal Vacations. They are a travel agency. The Loews Hotels reservation line wouldn't have that information about partner hotels.

You need to remember that Universal doesn't run their own hotels. They are operated by Loews, who make their own rules about advanced bookings depending on their past experiences. Generally, the Universal hotels do not book up quickly. Only Christmas vacation and spring break seem to book up much in advance.

some of the call centers that your call goes to, can really give confusing information about booking way in advance.

you might want to hang up and call again or ask to put the supervisor on the phone to help you.

Sounds like you guys are calling different places. You can call Loews Hotels directly which will give you more accurate information than calling Universal Vacations. The person who was told they just released partner hotel info, must have been calling Universal Vacations. They are a travel agency. The Loews Hotels reservation line wouldn't have that information about partner hotels.

You need to remember that Universal doesn't run their own hotels. They are operated by Loews, who make their own rules about advanced bookings depending on their past experiences. Generally, the Universal hotels do not book up quickly. Only Christmas vacation and spring break seem to book up much in advance.

Why is soooo hard for me to get this booking?
Yes, it can be frustrating when the call center doesn't make sure all operators have the same playbook.

I called the number on the Universal Studios Orlando website. The one that is shown when you follow the drill down menus while trying to book a package. Can a call directly to Loews get me a package (room, tickets, meal plan) booked? if so, then I'm gonna call them next!

My evil inclination is to just tell the wife that they're booked during that time (because the planner shows "NO AVAILABLE ROOMS" when attempted to book on the website) and we'll just have to go back to "The World" instead.

But, in the off chance that I do get booked into an onsite or partner hotel - what is the best way to get from MCO to the area? Do they have something similar to the Gray Lines Disneyland Resort Express like in southern CA? I know that they don't have anything comparable to the DME, but surely a four or five star hotel like a Loews property has an airport shuttle?
Mears? Super Shuttle? Any recommendations? Will not rent a car - ain't gonna happen!

DryCreek said:
Yes, it can be frustrating when the call center doesn't make sure all operators have the same playbook.

I called the number on the Universal Studios Orlando website. The one that is shown when you follow the drill down menus while trying to book a package. Can a call directly to Loews get me a package (room, tickets, meal plan) booked? if so, then I'm gonna call them next!

My evil inclination is to just tell the wife that they're booked during that time (because the planner shows "NO AVAILABLE ROOMS" when attempted to book on the website) and we'll just have to go back to "The World" instead.

But, in the off chance that I do get booked into an onsite or partner hotel - what is the best way to get from MCO to the area? Do they have something similar to the Gray Lines Disneyland Resort Express like in southern CA? I know that they don't have anything comparable to the DME, but surely a four or five star hotel like a Loews property has an airport shuttle?
Mears? Super Shuttle? Any recommendations? Will not rent a car - ain't gonna happen!

No they have no airport shuttle and I always use Mears private town car and reason for that is the regular shuttles Mears uses can take one to two hours to get to the hotel and private town car takes just minutes

Booking a package is often more expensive than booking individually. You get a better deal on tickets ordering from undercovertourist.com

There are no cancellation or change fees when you book your hotel directly with Loews (provided they are not less than 5 days from arrival). You can also call and change your rates when lower ones come out.

The meal deal is not the best use of your money or the best food at Universal. You only have a choice of a few counter service restaurants at each park.

Posters on this site don't recommend booking a package. It isn't in your best interests.

I take a cab to and from the airport.

Universal Vacations is just a travel agency. They don't know what Loews plans are.

The meal deal is not the best use of your money or the best food at Universal. You only have a choice of a few counter service restaurants at each park.

Posters on this site don't recommend booking a package. It isn't in your best interests.

I take a cab to and from the airport.

Universal Vacations is just a travel agency. They don't know what Loews plans are.

How much is cab fare between the Universal Hotels and MCO?

yeah, I looked at the meal package, and it seems that you are pretty limited as far as which restaurants participate. I am OK with counter service though. I like to grab something small several times throughout the day rather than just larger meals.

Are the tickets really cheaper through under cover tourist? I was under the impression that the Universal Website guaranteed the lowest rates for admission. How much would we save? I usually order my theme park admission directly from the parks to avoid counterfeit or stolen tickets - especially for Disney properties and Busch Gardens.

So, the Universal Vacations that is inked directly from the Universal Studios Orlando website is a third-party travel agency? From the seamless fit into the website I just assumed that they were a part of universal, just like booking through the WDW and DL websites will get you official Disney travel.

No they have no airport shuttle and I always use Mears private town car and reason for that is the regular shuttles Mears uses can take one to two hours to get to the hotel and private town car takes just minutes
What is the average rate for the private town car between MCO and the Universal Hotels?

DryCreek said:
What is the average rate for the private town car between MCO and the Universal Hotels?

I believe I paid like $110 or $120 round trip
From airport to hotel and from hotel back to the airport

How much is cab fare between the Universal Hotels and MCO?

yeah, I looked at the meal package, and it seems that you are pretty limited as far as which restaurants participate. I am OK with counter service though. I like to grab something small several times throughout the day rather than just larger meals.

Are the tickets really cheaper through under cover tourist? I was under the impression that the Universal Website guaranteed the lowest rates for admission. How much would we save? I usually order my theme park admission directly from the parks to avoid counterfeit or stolen tickets - especially for Disney properties and Busch Gardens.

So, the Universal Vacations that is inked directly from the Universal Studios Orlando website is a third-party travel agency? From the seamless fit into the website I just assumed that they were a part of universal, just like booking through the WDW and DL websites will get you official Disney travel.

Disney runs most of their onsite hotels. Universal does not. Universal's set up is more like the Swan and Dolphin at WDW. Universal Vacations is a third party travel agency and booking rooms through them is no different than booking through any other agency.

Yes, your tickets are cheapest through undercovertourist.com, a very reliable company. You'll have to do comparisons by looking at the websites.

Universal has a lowest price guarantee but you have to get a refund, they don't do it upfront.

Cab far is about $100 return including tip.

It varies, but about $115-ish from the airport to either Universal or Disney. If you want to move between Universal and Disney for a split stay, it's about $55, I think is what I remember seeing. I priced it over a month ago, so don't remember exactly. A cab is about $40, so not much different but the towncar will give you a grocery stop without an extra charge (and a carseat if you need it for a little one).

edit: I should clarify that the $115 is roundtrip. If you want a one-way, some do it and I think it's $50-75 depending on who you use. The $55 to shuttle between disney and universal is a one-way charge, I believe.

Wow, it looks like the private town car may only be $10 to $20 more than the cab fare! Still, the range of $100 to $120 quoted for cab or limo fare took me by surprise. Of course it has been over 30 years since I have ridden in a taxi though.

I guess that the DME (priced into the reservations) and the Grey Line DLR Express (at $38 pp R/T) may have spoiled me?

Thanks for the clarification on Universal's setup there. What a mishmash. I can see having someone else operate your hotels for you as a cost saving measure, but to try and tie it all together as a package deal with a third-party travel agency is odd.

But, I guess that it works for them, huh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter