Booster seats & car hire

lisag1

Mouseketeer
Can anyone tell me what US regulations are regarding car hire and child seats please?

In our party we have a child of 5 who weighs 34lbs and a child of 4 weighing 42lb. Here in the UK we use booster seats with or without a back. Can you please tell me what we would require in the US as we wish to take our own seats out there.

Also I have a child aged 3 who weighs 30lb and would like to know what seat I have to bring over - either a booster or his own Britax car seat.

Don't want to hire as it costs $6.00 per day and we're there for 3 weeks!

Many thanks

Lisa

Lisa, your own seats are fine. The booster seats here are both with and without a back. Also the children will more comfortable in their own seats.

The car seats here are marked as being good up to 40 pounds and then kids should ride in a booster seat until 80 pounds for their own safety. My daughter was under 40 pounds when I switched her from a car seat to a booster because she is petite(in weight) and was too tall for the car seat.

Hi Lisag1--

I was just checking on the same thing myself--we're heading to WDW in a few weeks with our 38-lb 5 year old; she uses a booster seat at home, but we really didn't want to drag it with us...

Anyway, here's what I found under Florida on a site that lists regulations on a state-by-state basis:

1) (a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the
roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child
by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint
device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a
separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

You might want to confirm that with the rental company, or see if the State of Florida has anything on their official site...I haven't checked there yet.

Hope that helps!

Dan's Mom:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter