Boulder Ridge Refurb Has Begun!

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of it is to replace the sheet rock entirely. You can’t scrape it off and you can’t add enough mud to smooth it out. A lighter paint tint makes it far less obvious.

You can put a quality primer and then a thin coat of plaster/mud on a wall to make it flat as long as the texture isn't insanely thick and or this is also an option if the texture is insane -

We can only hope they break out the 40 Grit for this one!:)

Would not be fun with the likely multiple coats of paint on the wall :)

I knew a lady who was professional high end plaster and texture person who did lots of the super expensive home in Summerlin Las Vegas with venetian plaster and other fun stuff. She would take the textured walls flat first and then do her thing. But yes, I don't think Disney is looking to pay that kind of money. For an efficiency standpoint it's likely easier to go down to the studs and go again. Plus this also likely gives them a bit of flex to make minor adjustments on outlets and other items if they wish.

Really looking forward to the refurb. We are hosting a family reunion at WDW next summer and really tempted to try and put some of our family in BRV to check out the rooms during the trip.

You can put a quality primer and then a thin coat of plaster/mud on a wall to make it flat as long as the texture isn't insanely thick and or this is also an option if the texture is insane -

Would not be fun with the likely multiple coats of paint on the wall :)

I knew a lady who was professional high end plaster and texture person who did lots of the super expensive home in Summerlin Las Vegas with venetian plaster and other fun stuff. She would take the textured walls flat first and then do her thing. But yes, I don't think Disney is looking to pay that kind of money. For an efficiency standpoint it's likely easier to go down to the studs and go again. Plus this also likely gives them a bit of flex to make minor adjustments on outlets and other items if they wish.

Really looking forward to the refurb. We are hosting a family reunion at WDW next summer and really tempted to try and put some of our family in BRV to check out the rooms during the trip.
In nearly 40 years as a GC, I’ve never seen anyone do anything close to that on production work. If it were a custom home, trying to prime and skim coat the walls would be a total waste of money. I’d just demo the drywall. This isn’t ever going to be a Level 5 finish, and from what I’ve seen, right now it’s a VERY heavy lace, with a semi-gloss enamel. Even after a couple of coats of primer and then mudding the whole surface, you’d still have to go back and do a knockdown over everything. At worst, that lady in Summerlin was applying plaster to a wall with an orange peel or knockdown finish (which I HAVE seen on residential work on several occasions).

They aren’t pulling sheet rock off. It’s staying the way it is.

Last edited:
This is no bueno :(

And yes, you are correct. 99% of the "new" homes in Vegas use a knockdown texture and those new/fancy homes in Summerlin are likely the same :)
I could always be wrong as to how deep they decide to go. If anyone knows what the wall surfaces were at SSR before their refurb, that might provide some insight. Right now they are a light orange peel.

In 2019 I got us 200 BR points for $90 (loaded with prior years points too). I thought refurb was coming soon after. But I used the points at CC, BR, Riviera, etc. So all good. I am booked week right after Thanksgiving this year, so fingers crossed.
Did you buy direct at $90 a point?

No my 200 BR $90 was resale, (only my 25 points are direct and blue carded and purchased while I had another contract at BCV). It was from a widower apparenty from the paperwork. So points were loaded as it had not been used in awhile. We sold BCV to buy in at BR. It was a wash, did not lose any $$.

No my 200 BR $90 was resale, (only my 25 points are direct and blue carded and purchased while I had another contract at BCV). It was from a widower apparenty from the paperwork. So points were loaded as it had not been used in awhile. We sold BCV to buy in at BR. It was a wash, did not lose any $$
I was just asking if it was direct points you purchased as you said you used them at Riviera.

For me, the ONLY thing CCV has/had going for it was the newer room decor. I absolutely LOVE the WL lobby (I mean we own more points at BRV than any other resort), but also love the fact that BRV is separated from the hustle and noise of that awesome space. I like that there is a buffer zone that gives you the sense of separation and exclusivity. And the BRV lobby has to be the most relaxing and intimate space on property. I also think that, on average, you're going to get a far nicer view at BRV. Lastly, I'm not a fan of the CCV room layouts, especially having to walk through the galley kitchen to get to the living room. It's just too obviously side by side converted hotel rooms. No argument on the sleeping capacity benefits, or again, the appearance and furnishing of the rooms.

Again, pre-refurb, the BRV rooms shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as CCV rooms, but post-refurb I think it's a whole different story.
Totally agree with you about the lobby of BRV…..the ambiance and sense of relaxation while just sitting absolutely cannot be beat. We bought our first points at BRV …way back in 2001 and it’s been by far our favorite since then. Actually, when we downsized 4 years ago we got inspiration for our small retirement home from VWL…have always loved the touch of custom handcrafted tile work. I found a tile artist from the Pacific Northwest ….and had some custom accent tiles made for our kitchen and baths, we have a rough cut ceiling wood beam and post where we removed an exterior wall to extend our living space and decor is all lodge themed.

We bought our first 50 points at BR for $100 pp in 2018 having never stayed there before. I hoped we would like it and luckily even with the need for refurb we did. The refurb can only make it better!

Yes, I can use my resale points at Riviera, and my 25 direct are eligible as blue card points. I did both things before I knew it was all changing, a fluke. (We had 200 direct BCV, bought the 25 direct BRV, sold the 200 BCV, bought 200 resale BRV. All in a few weeks time. The sale and purchase were at exact same time, had to stall the BRV purchase a few days for the BCV check to clear! We cut it close.)

Because we realized we LOVE BRV, and had not stayed at BCV in 7-8 years, we were at all the other resorts. I like BLT and Poly too.

We bought BRV in 2000 (back when it was still VWL!) and still love it despite some things showing their age. That said, we stayed at CCV in July and my husband said he would have a hard time going back to BRV until it was updated so hopefully he likes whatever they do with it!

We're supposed to be there next week and I was looking forward to checking out the progress...I'm not sure if Ian is going to get in our way though. We'll decide tomorrow if we're cancelling or not. If we are there, I'll definitely give a refurbishment update :)

We're supposed to be there next week and I was looking forward to checking out the progress...I'm not sure if Ian is going to get in our way though. We'll decide tomorrow if we're cancelling or not. If we are there, I'll definitely give a refurbishment update :)
I'm definitely interested in more updates if you go.

@MickeyT - Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the rooms look great! Don't own there, but hope we get a chance to stay some day. We enjoyed the CCV stay we were able to book a year or so ago, and love the resort complex. :)

@MickeyT - Thanks for posting the pictures. I think the rooms look great! Don't own there, but hope we get a chance to stay some day. We enjoyed the CCV stay we were able to book a year or so ago, and love the resort complex. :)
We are blessed with BRV, AKL and BCV's. Best of all worlds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter