Brit's Guide 2004 - Up-date (01/12/04)!

Hi again disneyholic. The reason you won't find the book in US retail outlets is that we would have a copywright problem if we tried to sell directly in the States. We have UK rights to various images, etc, but Birnbaum's own all Disney pic guidebook rights in America. That's not to say we aren't looking at a US version of what we do, but it would have to be re-written and with all-new artwork. Watch this space, as they say!

Hi Simon! Just came back from DLP last month and with the help of your book was able to do a lot more than thought possible ( we landed sat. lunchtime and left sun. evening). I had a wonderful dinner at Blue Lagoon and had lunch with the characters at Lucky Nugget Saloon. BTW the food here is excellent too. Please point out in any new additions that the fab 5 were not in attendance at this lunch ( I expected to see them, oh well).
Anyway, just wanted to say that I have bought your guide to the world every year since 2001 whether I'm going or not and look forward to the new guide just in time for my trip in January.
Thanks for many years of happy reading, my DH is very jealous of your work but he always benefits in the end (couldn't get him to leave Race Rock!)
Thanks again and much pixie dust for your future trips,
Claire

that's too bad.....and i assume that if you re-write it especially for the US market, you'll remove those semi-insulting comments which made it so amusing for me to read....(the one that comes to mind is in the chapter on food...possibly the opening line....something about americans and food, but i don't recall it exactly....only that i laughed very loudly when i read it)...

but yours is a very good guide.....so i'm sure there would be a market for it....it covers a lot of those non-WDW things that many guides ignore....

Simon

Any idea when the 2005 version of your book will be out. I am off to Orlando on 6 November for 2 weeks and it would be great if it was out before then.

Hi Greeko. The book should be out by then, but it might be touch and go, depending on where you live. Some stores are better than others at getting new titles on the shelves, and it is hard to say for sure. Amazon.co.uk are usually pretty quick to get it out to customers, but I think they let a few people down last year, so it is hard to know if they will be the quickest this time.

any ideas where i can get it before oct 26,i need it,i will be lost without it,im almost suicidal help

I don't think that you'll get it by then. I ordered my copy (have had one every year) and a copy for my dad so that when he goes to grab mine on the plane I can just give him his own?!! i ordered at Amazon quite a while ago and the first date was Oct, then 1 Nov, but ive just checked and it says

ITEMS YET TO BE DISPATCHED
Delivery estimate: 16 Nov 2004 - 2 Dec 2004 2 of: A Brit's Guide to Orlando

As long as I get it before christmas Im happy!

hey Simon, how about an online book signing! Not sure how that would work mind, but it would be nice for Christmas.

LOL, Michael. Not quite how it might be organised, though! I am actually hoping to be in Florida for Christmas, so I will happily sign anyone's book if they are there too! :teeth:

You haven't posted any updates for a while, Simon. Anything we should know about? We've got a 9 day trip planned (including 4 days on the Wonder) from December 3rd (that's a week tomorrow! :teeth: ) and another one next April/May.

Hi Deb. Yes, we have been working on up-dates now for the 2005 book and on our new Brit's Guide website - www.askdaisy.net/orlando - which will be able to carry all our up-dates in future. Here's what we have so far:

Things That Beat Our Deadline

WALT DISNEY WORLD

THEME PARKS:

Magic Kingdom: Guests will enjoy Meet And Greets in the new Princess Room at Mickey’s Toontown Fair (Page 103). Ariel will be in attendance until Ariel’s Grotto is refurbished later in 2005. Princesses include Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Snow White, and Cinderella. Additional Princesses will make guest appearances. Stitch’s Great Escape is now open, in place of the old Alien Encounter attraction, but it still seems to spook younger children when the theatre is plunged in to darkness (and Stitch suddenly belches in your ear!) (Page 104).

Epcot: Spaceship Earth’s Global Activity Center has closed indefinitely (Page 114). At The Living Seas pavilion, two new encounters based on the Disney-Pixar hit film Finding Nemo provide encounters with laid-back turtle Crash and Bruce, the vegetarian shark (Page 114).

WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORTS:

Animal Kingdom Lodge now has hearing assistance devises available to Lodge guests (Page 66).
Contemporary Resort: The Children’s Activity Center, the Mouseketeer Club, has closed indefinitely (Page 61).
Grand Floridian Resort’s Pirate Cruise for children now has an age limit of 4-10 years, meaning 3-year-olds will no longer be allowed to take the Pirate Cruise (Page 62).

WALT DISNEY WORLD DINING:

Priority Seating requirements: All table service dining now requires a credit card to hold a Priority Seating on major holiday dates. 2005 Holidays include New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, St Valentine’s Day (February 14), Easter Sunday (March 27), Mother’s Day (May 8), Memorial Day (May 30) Father’s Day (June 19), Independence Day (July 4), Labor Day (September 5), Halloween (October 31), Thanksgiving (November 24), Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (Page 61).

Chef Mickey’s: Beginning October 10, 2005, Chef Mickey’s buffet will be $17.99 ages 12 and up, $9.99 ages 3-11 (Page 62).

Cinderella’s Royal Table (Magic Kingdom) and The Princess Storybook Breakfast (Epcot) require a credit card to hold a Priority Seating (Page 93)

Birthday Cakes can be ordered 48 hours in advance at 407-824-1520. Delivery available (Page 42).

ELSEWHERE IN THE WORLD:

Typhoon Lagoon: a major refurbishment in early 2005 sees the addition of a fabulous new flume ride (Page 208),

Downtown Disney: the big shopping/dining/entertainment complex has opened a new store, Mickey’s Mart, featuring “Everything Ten Dollars and Under” (Page 286).

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS/ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE:

Halloween Horror Nights (click HERE! for our special feature on HHN) has a price increase to $54.75. For an additional $15, guests can purchase a Horror Night Express Pass to bypass most of the attraction queues (Page 162).

OTHER PARKS

SEAWORLD:

The Key West Dolphin Fest will be closing, to be replaced by “a revolutionary and creative design that encompasses both sea and sky" in summer 2XXX (Page 167).

CYPRESS GARDENS:

Cypress Garden’s Grand Opening occurred on December 9, 2004, with a full weekly schedule and a special Grand Opening admission price of $29.95, available through 28 February 2005. Regular admission beginning 1 March is $34.95 (ages 10-54), and $29.95 (ages 3-9 and over 55). Parking is $7.00. The park opens at 10:00 am, with varying closing times from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm. See website for specific days and times. http://cypressgardens.com/welcome.asp

The all-new Adventure Park debuted their newest roller-coaster, Hurricane Charley, as well as a new craftsman’s village, botanical gardens, water-ski show and ice skating show. Live entertainment though March 2005 includes Kenny Rogers, Glen Campbell, The Drifters, The Coasters, The Platters, Chubby Checker, Pat Boone, Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, Loretta Lynn, Guy Lombardo, and the Smothers Brothers. (Page 191)

ORLANDO AREA ATTRACTIONS

SPORTS AND OUTDOOR ADVENTURES:

Boggy Creek Parasail have suspended their parasailing excursions until further notice (Page 218).

Walt Disney World’s Eagle Pines and Osprey Ridge golf courses now have GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) on all golf carts, with the ability to measure distance between ball and pin, show statistics, location of golfers in front of and behind your party, hazards, relay weather conditions and enable guests to order refreshments from the beverage carts (Page 234).

Flying Tigers Warbird Air Museum in Kisssimmee has been forced to close in the wake of extensive damage caused by the unprecedented hurricane season. No re-opening is expected (Page 222).

Hard Rock Vault has closed indefinitely (Page 200).

I have just ordered the 2005 edition of your book Simon through amazon.co.uk and am sure it will be as invaluable as the 2004 edition. Hope it'll come through the post soon, I can't wait any longer! :guilty:

Just editing this message to add that my Brit's Guide arrived a few days ago and I am very pleased with it. Well done Simon on another great book!

You're welcome. And we hope to make our new website just as useful in future.

Happy New year everyone!

Simon

Ok so I'm clicking through to Amazon to buy the book - and I see that it's free p&p over £19... I already got the new UGs in January so what other Disney book should I pick up?

Is the Birnbaum one any good?

The 2004 had (IIRC) a discount voucher for Alamo car rental. Is it in the 2005 guide? Just about to book my car rental for mid-May and if the voucher's there I'll wait till I've got the 2005 guide.

I have used simons book every year I've been and even lent it to clients (I'm a travel agent) as it has always been invaluable for tips. most first timers to disney think they'll be 'all disneyed out' after a week or they reckon theres not enough to do for a 14 day park pass. this book shows how wrong you can be. i have learned far more through this than any information disney puts out to the travel trade

rosiejo said:
Ok so I'm clicking through to Amazon to buy the book - and I see that it's free p&p over £19... I already got the new UGs in January so what other Disney book should I pick up?

Is the Birnbaum one any good?

Hi,

I always go for Simons and The Unofficial Guide to Disney.

Birnbaums is too official and not in any way critical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter