Broken leg!

AmberCommerford

Earning My Ears
Hi! I’m a regular Disneyland goer. I have a magic key pass, but I’ve never gone with a broken leg! I have a cast on my left leg. I know they have the ECV and wheelchairs available to rent at the main entrance. But I’m trying to figure out logistics of getting there. I can’t do crutches all the way from parking structure to tram entrance, and I don’t want to cart my crutches around all day in the park. What’s everyone’s suggestion for getting from my car to a place where I can rent an ECV? I can’t walk at all, so I need something to get me to and from the wheelchair rental. Anyone experienced this? What did they do? TIA!

Bummer!!

There was a wheelchair/ECV rental with limited supply on the ground floor of the parking structure, but I'm not sure it's still there now that the trams are running. You'd still have to get to it, though.

You could theoretically have your party drop you off on Harbor, but then you'd have to use crutches to get to the 'main gate' rental place.

When I shattered my ankle I used a collapsible walker and it folded down really small. I probably could have gotten in into one of the X-large lockers on the Esplanade (the dimensions of the lockers are on the website somewhere. Would a walker work for you? You could use it to get to the trams then to the rental location or from the Harbor drop to the rental location then stow it in a locker.

Honestly, your best bet may be to look into an 'offsite' rental place and rent from them. Hopefully they'll have wheelchairs/EVCs that breakdown enough to fit in your car or are a 'walkable' distance from the Esplanade.

I'd call DL guest services and see if they have a special unit than handles disability issues. There may be something they offer that isn't 'general knowledge'.

Are you alone/driving yourself? If not, get dropped off at the Harbor entrance and crutch over to the ECV/Wheelchair rental. It's not too far inside the security checkpoint.

Otherwise, ask your doctor for a temp Handicap placard application. This way you can park on the structure close to where the trams load. It's just a matter of taking the escalator or stairs down to the trams. As an alternative, park in Toy story and take the shuttle bus to the Harbor Entrance.

Or, Uber/Lyft to the Harbor entry.

Or get a knee scooter.

Or rent a wheelchair from a local medical supply company for a few weeks and keep it in your car.

I agree with the folks suggesting rent before the park, especially if crutches aren't working for you. It'll also give you a chance to get used to it before being in park!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter