• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bypass surgery

MelbellMac

Earning My Ears
Hello! We have finally booked a return WDW trip! It’s been a few years since we went (2017). I know a lot of things have changed that we now need to re-learn Disney (Genie+, all the new rides, virtual queues, etc.). In addition to Disney changing, we have also changed. We are now a group of 7; 4 actual adults, 1 Disney adult (13), and 2 kids (twin 7 year olds). Additionally, 2 people in our group have had weight loss surgery. We are considering the dining plan for various reasons and trying to do a cost analysis to see if it’s worth it. I know that you cannot share buffet and price fixe meals but what about the others? Can you order 1 meal to share between 2 people and only use 1 table service credit?

Also looking for restaurant recommendations. I know table service isn’t the most cost effective with the weight loss surgery but we would like to do a daily table service meal just to allow for a break, air conditioning, etc.

Thanks in advance and have a magical day!

Hello! We have finally booked a return WDW trip! It’s been a few years since we went (2017). I know a lot of things have changed that we now need to re-learn Disney (Genie+, all the new rides, virtual queues, etc.). In addition to Disney changing, we have also changed. We are now a group of 7; 4 actual adults, 1 Disney adult (13), and 2 kids (twin 7 year olds). Additionally, 2 people in our group have had weight loss surgery. We are considering the dining plan for various reasons and trying to do a cost analysis to see if it’s worth it. I know that you cannot share buffet and price fixe meals but what about the others? Can you order 1 meal to share between 2 people and only use 1 table service credit?

Also looking for restaurant recommendations. I know table service isn’t the most cost effective with the weight loss surgery but we would like to do a daily table service meal just to allow for a break, air conditioning, etc.

Thanks in advance and have a magical day!
Hi, Big family trips can be so much fun! I hope you have a great time together. I am a person with a very small appetite, and share meals with my husband often. Previously we have shared table service meals on the dining plan often. I assume we will be able to now also, but I have not yet read actual reports of people doing so since the dining plan came back this month. We have also paid out of pocket for an appetizer to stretch the food a bit and used the one dining plan credit for the actual meal.

I would also say that sometimes we do an all you care to enjoy family style meal or buffet because it is fun for the others in the group even though I will not eat that much. I just look at is as averaging out among the whole group or that I'm paying for the cost of the atmosphere and "entertainment" in the case of character meals or the band in the Biergarten in Germany. The good food and conversation around the meal is more important than the food to me.

There is a thread on the boards for people who have actually used the new one and they share their experiences. You might want to check it out.

Yes, you can share, just not at character meals or buffets. Depending how far out both are from their bypass surgery, even if they share the plate, they might have leftovers.

Hi, Big family trips can be so much fun! I hope you have a great time together. I am a person with a very small appetite, and share meals with my husband often. Previously we have shared table service meals on the dining plan often. I assume we will be able to now also, but I have not yet read actual reports of people doing so since the dining plan came back this month. We have also paid out of pocket for an appetizer to stretch the food a bit and used the one dining plan credit for the actual meal.

I would also say that sometimes we do an all you care to enjoy family style meal or buffet because it is fun for the others in the group even though I will not eat that much. I just look at is as averaging out among the whole group or that I'm paying for the cost of the atmosphere and "entertainment" in the case of character meals or the band in the Biergarten in Germany. The good food and conversation around the meal is more important than the food to me.
We definitely have a couple of buffets and family meals planned and I’m looking at it as paying for the experience much more than paying for the food.

That’s a good tip about getting the appetizer to spread it out a bit more! I can’t wait for October to get here so we can go!!

Yes, you can share, just not at character meals or buffets. Depending how far out both are from their bypass surgery, even if they share the plate, they might have leftovers.
I knew not at character meals, buffets, family style, just wasn’t sure if they could share at regular table service that isn’t price fixe.

Congratulations! Sleeve surgery 2 years ago, and multiple trips before and since, so just my opinion.

I am super fortunate to have an 18 year old son who eats CONSTANTLY. That has been super helpful - he cleans my plate; my daughter and I also split meals.

As far as Quick Service...lots of higher protein options and we love Mobile Order. My favorites...(if you are self paying - kids meals can be the perfect size) - ABC Commissary and Woodys; Satuli and Flame Tree; Regal Eagle and Sunshine Seasons.

Table service is tough for us; I feel like we are wasting a ton of food...thats just my hangup. I do get the relaxation and ambiance factor too...

I guess it comes down to the convenience factor too. I do love that! No wrong answer!

I knew not at character meals, buffets, family style, just wasn’t sure if they could share at regular table service that isn’t price fixe.
I recognize you knew that, but I wanted to make sure that if someone came along and read my response, they understood that it wasn't saying sharing could happen everywhere.:)

We are considering the dining plan for various reasons and trying to do a cost analysis to see if it’s worth it.
The cost analysis is unlikely to favor the DDP, especially with members of the party who eat very small meals and likely not drinking alcoholic beverages. Sharing a plate simply ends up with extra unused meal credits. One suggestion is to put the value of the DDP on a gift card (or multiple gift cards if the group may split) and use that to pay for meals. You'll likely find you come out ahead and can use the extra for souvenirs.

The cost analysis is unlikely to favor the DDP, especially with members of the party who eat very small meals and likely not drinking alcoholic beverages. Sharing a plate simply ends up with extra unused meal credits. One suggestion is to put the value of the DDP on a gift card (or multiple gift cards if the group may split) and use that to pay for meals. You'll likely find you come out ahead and can use the extra for souvenirs.
It doesn't have to result in unused credits if you eat more than two meals in a day. Eating three or four meals in a day if often preferable for folks with smaller appetites.

It doesn't have to result in unused credits if you eat more than two meals in a day. Eating three or four meals in a day if often preferable for folks with smaller appetites.
True. I was thinking of the party as a whole and OP didn't indicate those 2 individuals might be doing more meals without the rest of the party. I can see that working better for QS than TS, though, unless those individuals want to separate from the rest of the party for a time.

True. I was thinking of the party as a whole and OP didn't indicate those 2 individuals might be doing more meals without the rest of the party. I can see that working better for QS than TS, though, unless those individuals want to separate from the rest of the party for a time.
@lanejudy has a good point. TS credits are non transferrable, even between members of the same party. So you can't give another person in the group a TS credit assigned to a different person, or someone not with the group (meaning a friend or guest). And all credits expire at midnight day of check out. I don't think it's the best value for the OP. The gift card idea seems to be a better solution if they would like to not overspend. If buying the DDP for convenience, then that is a different story. Though scanning a MB to pay for a meal and then using a gift card at check out is basically the same as scanning a MB to use the meal credit. But everyone should do what works best for them! Hope the OP has a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter