• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cabins at FW

BelleEileen1113

Disney Dreamin'
Would some folks with experience share with me the good, bad, and ugly of staying in the Cabins? The idea of having a kitchenette and enough room to take Mom along with us and the kids is really appealing. But what should I think about before booking here?

Thanks for your time! Following along with the main WL thread, too!

We stayed in one for the first time 5 moths ago. Previously I thought they looked interesting but not anything great or out of the ordinary. I liked all the themed hotels better. We all loved staying here. It is quiet and the cabin was comfortable and very functional. The decor was great and we were close enough to walk, quickly, to a pool. The downside is transportation. Getting to the parks looked too convoluted with Fisney buses so we drove and even that wasn’t a direct route from there to the MK parking lot. Would love to stay again.

We stayed in one for the first time 5 moths ago. Previously I thought they looked interesting but not anything great or out of the ordinary. I liked all the themed hotels better. We all loved staying here. It is quiet and the cabin was comfortable and very functional. The decor was great and we were close enough to walk, quickly, to a pool. The downside is transportation. Getting to the parks looked too convoluted with Fisney buses so we drove and even that wasn’t a direct route from there to the MK parking lot. Would love to stay again.

We stayed at WL in May and found that the boat was the easiest way to get to MK.

Would some folks with experience share with me the good, bad, and ugly of staying in the Cabins? The idea of having a kitchenette and enough room to take Mom along with us and the kids is really appealing. But what should I think about before booking here?

Thanks for your time! Following along with the main WL thread, too!

I've never stayed in one, but please report back if you do! It's way way way way out of our price range. I've stayed club level at the lodge though, and it's a great resort.

There are new cabins in the DVC section of Wilderness Lodge (called Copper Creek). I assumed those are what the OP was referring to?

Those are the Dream, but the reality is more like the Cabins at Fort Wilderness.

I'm not what you'd call "outdoorsy," but the theming is similar to the resorts we used to stay in in the Midwest when I was a child, so it kind of appeals to me on a nostalgia level.

We were in a FW cabin for 2 nights before getting relocated to AoA for Irma, and while we understood and took that very seriously, I was really bummed to leave early. We LOVED it! I do recommend renting a golf cart, so that you can get to the settlement shops, dock, and park buses efficiently. Plus, it’s just fun to ride around in. We loved how quiet it was, and we had all these plans to do a Fort day where we didn’t even leave the campground and had HoopDeeDoo reservations, but of course, Irma had other plans. Since we got cut short, it’s back on my to-do list when I travel with the same two people again. It was so cozy and just felt so different than a normal resort stay.

The good: no immediate neighbors sharing a wall/ceiling/floor, very nice to have a vehicle parked at the cabin, a full kitchen, eating area and living area are such a bonus with kids, the deck is nice to use with the picnic table, bedroom now has a queen bed (previous full size was not big enough) and bunk beds. Our kids and now grand kids love the outdoor areas. Campfire is fun. Boat rides are fun. Kids loved the pools.
The bad: nothing really "bad" for us. Once our location was a longer walk to the bus, but we managed. As long as you have a car or are located close to laundry at, that was ok.
The ugly: I have to admit I have always had a vehicle so I can't say I've solely relied on their transportation.
We usually stay a week in a villa, but start the trip with at least 3 nights in the cabins because we all like it so much.

I love staying at Fort Wilderness so I am a little biased:)
It’s so peaceful and quiet. It’s smells nice like pine and Spanish moss. Last time we stayed there my kids were a bit smaller so I found it really helpful to have the kitchenette so I could get them fed quickly every morning while dad is in the shower. I saved a lot of time this way. It’s also nice to be able to reheat leftovers easily. There are comfort stations too if you need an extra shower or bathroom. My daughter loved the bunk beds and the critters that would hang out on the deck, cute little frogs and lizards.
We all enjoy the home style food at Trails End and make it a point to see Hoop Dee Do so it’s very nice to cut out the travel time for that.

I find the bussing annoying because of the bus to bus or bus to boat situation. I have little patience for that, just my personality. It’s not a very long wait but if I have to fold my stroller one more time...

The kitchen in the cabin is actually close to a real kitchen. You get a full size fridge that has an icemaker in the freezer. There is a cooktop and now a combo convection oven/microwave. Plus there is a dishwasher! The kitchen is stocked with dishes and cookware. Every cabin has a charcoal grill too. You can order groceries from a delivery service or go shopping yourself. I love having that kitchen

The cabins themselves are well done, loved the kitchen space and parking at my front door. Loved having a living room area where we could see and relax as opposed to sitting on beds. I liked it when there was a murphy bed in living room, not a sofabed but it still sleeps 6 .... but that is a sofa bed and two bunks (not twin sized) ... and bedroom is shared.

Downside ............ isolation from all the activity means it doesn't feel like a resort to us. We like walking to pool, food court and amenities. Transportation was awful. We had to walk down the road to get to a bus stop, wait on a bus, take bus to another bus or boat. Multiple wait times, often standing on internal bus ... it only took a couple trips to realize that the cabins meant using our car to go anywhere outside the campground. Sleeps 6 yes, but one bathroom. Bedroom has bed and bunks and little walking space it's so small.

So if we want the kitchen and extra bedding, we'll like go to Bonnet Creek where I'll get more space, bathrooms, laundry and easy drive to parks. Amenities there are nice and easy to walk to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter