Cali Grill, Chef Mickey's, or both?

ubarpants

Earning My Ears
Hi all, trying to decide how to make the ADRs work for my December trip. It's just me and my husband, no kids, and we're in our late 30's. We like traditional comfort food but also the type of food that gets described as "adventurous" here. :) This is our first trip to WDW though we've been to DLR several times. Here's what I'm looking at--it feels weird to have two meals planned at a resort where we aren't staying and I don't know if I should drop one of them.

California Grill Brunch (on first Disney day)

Pros: Looks AMAZING. Nice kick off to the Disney part of the trip and I've never seen anything negative about the experience.
Cons: Logistical nightmare due to only being offered on Sunday. We were planning the Sunday of our trip to be our third and final day at US/IoA/VB, and having to be over to WDW that early will cut the last day there very short. Side question: Could we uber directly to the Contemporary and store our luggage (just carry-on size) at Bell Services while we eat, or is that tacky? I reallllly want to make this work but I'm worried it's just not practical.

Chef Mickey's (before MVMCP)
Pros: Fits into the plan for the day very well--wanted to take an easy non-park morning and then have a HUGE lunch and head over to MK for the party. Chef Mickey's is open until 2:30 and we can kill some time and then walk over around 4pm. There doesn't seem to be any other AYCTE restaurants outside of the parks that are open for lunch unless I'm missing something.
Cons: I've read some really negative reviews about the food being terrible and the overall experience being super loud and hectic. Also not sure if we're character people since we've never had a character meal before. Maybe that's a pro since we could try it once at least?

Also, I was thinking I could make a Cali Grill brunch reservation and then decide on Saturday if we want to spend more time on the dark side or if we want to go to brunch and then cancel if needed, but I hate the idea of hoarding an ADR that I think is pretty valuable.

how to make the ADRs work for my December trip.

I think Chef Mickeys gets so-so reviews probably not worth it especially if you don't know if you are character people. When you talk character meals sometimes the food quality isn't always there. We did a couple character meals and if you truly want to enjoy your meal don't do one with characters. When you finally get into eating there is another character coming around. It is cute, but it takes away from the food.

As for Cali grill -- have you considered making dinner reservations -- this might make your planning a bit easier to fit it into another night instead of stressing over getting there and figuring out your luggage situation. Really no meal is worth complicating your day. Plus a dinner reservation would get you some amazing views of the fireworks at night.

If you are looking for comfort food I would suggest liberty tree tavern, which could be for lunch or dinner -- this could fit the bill for your large lunch when you are at MK. We ate there a couple weeks ago. We knew it received good reviews but we were blown away with how good it was. Another option would be hoop dee doo review - those would give you some comfort foods and a dinner show, but somewhat difficult to get to.

What resort are you staying at?

The brunch just doesn't work for you. You really don't want to cut US short plus they have their own great dining

CM is mediocre food that somehow people still think is a must do.

What about wcc or cp?

I personally thought Chef Mickey's was excellent, although I haven't been to Cali Grill myself.

I really wouldn't cut your Uni day short to go to Cali Grill. There are some great restaurants at Uni. Cali Grill brunch just isn't worth leaving Uni for.

I wouldn't do Chef Mickey's. I know you want a big lunch, but you will be paying a huge premium for a character buffet where the food is mediocre at best. If you want an AYCTE, maybe look into WCC at WL and doing the skillet. You can then take the boat to MK. Or just go to one of the better 1 TS on the monorail (we really like GF Cafe and the Wave). You could always just order extra apps or an extra entree at one of those restaurants to get more food, perhaps? The food is just so much better at those restaurants.

Thanks all! I think I was trying to talk myself into something that didn't quite make sense. I think our Universal resort actually has a Sunday brunch too so I'll check that out instead, as well as looking at some other options for the MVMCP day. We are doing Hoop Dee Doo the following day so I think we'll skip WCC but that's a great suggestion. Thanks so much for the input. :)

Hi all, trying to decide how to make the ADRs work for my December trip. It's just me and my husband, no kids, and we're in our late 30's. We like traditional comfort food but also the type of food that gets described as "adventurous" here. :) This is our first trip to WDW though we've been to DLR several times. Here's what I'm looking at--it feels weird to have two meals planned at a resort where we aren't staying and I don't know if I should drop one of them.

California Grill Brunch (on first Disney day)

Pros: Looks AMAZING. Nice kick off to the Disney part of the trip and I've never seen anything negative about the experience.
Cons: Logistical nightmare due to only being offered on Sunday. We were planning the Sunday of our trip to be our third and final day at US/IoA/VB, and having to be over to WDW that early will cut the last day there very short. Side question: Could we uber directly to the Contemporary and store our luggage (just carry-on size) at Bell Services while we eat, or is that tacky? I reallllly want to make this work but I'm worried it's just not practical.

Chef Mickey's (before MVMCP)
Pros: Fits into the plan for the day very well--wanted to take an easy non-park morning and then have a HUGE lunch and head over to MK for the party. Chef Mickey's is open until 2:30 and we can kill some time and then walk over around 4pm. There doesn't seem to be any other AYCTE restaurants outside of the parks that are open for lunch unless I'm missing something.
Cons: I've read some really negative reviews about the food being terrible and the overall experience being super loud and hectic. Also not sure if we're character people since we've never had a character meal before. Maybe that's a pro since we could try it once at least?

Also, I was thinking I could make a Cali Grill brunch reservation and then decide on Saturday if we want to spend more time on the dark side or if we want to go to brunch and then cancel if needed, but I hate the idea of hoarding an ADR that I think is pretty valuable.

We usually try to fit in Chef Mickey's on a Friday evening. It has better choices of food for us that evening with more seafood options. On other nights, and lunch, it's just ok. If you're not character people, I might choose something else entirely. We do like CA Grill. But we haven't had Brunch.

We relate Chef Mickey's to the Golden Corral. Some people like it, we don't.

What about the Grand Floridian Cafe? Then you could hit the Magic Kingdom.

Chef Mickeys is truly crap.
Chef Mickey's is alright for breakfast. For dinner, it's garbage.
:rotfl2:Don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel! Basic bland cafeteria food, only bearable if you have children and want character dining, IMO Tusker House does it better. And never, ever should California Grill and Chef Mickey’s be in the same running as choice ADR.

:rotfl2:Don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel! Basic bland cafeteria food, only bearable if you have children and want character dining, IMO Tusker House does it better. And never, ever should California Grill and Chef Mickey’s be in the same running as choice ADR.

LOL!!! You made me laugh this mornign!!!

OP I would not look for AYCTE meals, you pay a huge premium, and still only eat a normal meal. Use the day to have a nice late breakfast anywhere. And then book the earliest meal in the MK that you can on the party night. I am not fond of LTT but a lot of folks love it, and the atmosphere is nice Or book Skipper Canteen. If you can get dinner at 4:15 you have time to check into the MK and get to your restaurant, have a good meal and then enjoy the party when it starts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter