california grill and substitutions

stitchaholic

DIS Veteran
I would love to go to CG, my 16 year old DS is very picky , do you think they would sub out the filet sides for some type of potato side and leave off the sauce ?

I am guessing yes. They really are customer oriented. My daughter has a bunch of weirdness with food. She generally gets the kids mac and cheese there. They change the portion size and have added a variety of things on the side for her (the things on the side are just things they included - nothing we asked for).

Yes, any of the Disney restaurants will let you swap out sides. Its not unusual at all.

You can usually substitute a side for a side listed in the description of another entree on the menu. You cannot choose a side listed in a separate section that has price points called "Sides," "Accompaniments" or "Enhancements" unless you pay for it. Ask for sauces to be on the side or omitted.

Any idea if they'd make the old heirloom tomato risotto if I asked really really nicely?

It was probably my favorite part of my meal when I went on my honeymoon 2 years ago!

Any idea if they'd make the old heirloom tomato risotto if I asked really really nicely?

It was probably my favorite part of my meal when I went on my honeymoon 2 years ago!

They'll happily change out sides for something they're already producing. Making something special? They may not have ingredients, etc. for the dish so that may be a road too far. If its sitting there and just a plating change, I'm sure they'd do it.

I'm positive they'll work with your son and do side saucing. CG is great and I hope ya'll have a lovely time!

You will have no issue whatsoever. I've asked for sauce on the side and a side from other entrees and had no problem. Most all of Disneys restaurants are accommodating, but I find CG especially so

You can ask, but if they don't have the ingredients, the time, the manpower or the kitchen space it won't be possible. They can only work with what they already have and risotto is not the quickest dish to prepare so if it isn't on the menu they probably don't have it available.

What does "asked really really nicely" have to do with a restaurant having ingredients, manpower, space, or time to prepare a risotto not on the menu have to do with anything?
Sounds really bad

I read 401Disney's question as sort of a joke. I don't think they were seriously asking for this do be done.... but I could be wrong.

What does "asked really really nicely" have to do with a restaurant having ingredients, manpower, space, or time to prepare a risotto not on the menu have to do with anything?
Sounds really bad
Nothing really but I find that asking politely and nice and not being rude or demanding gets you a lot further in life then being condicending rude or just a negative mean person in general

I would love to go to CG, my 16 year old DS is very picky , do you think they would sub out the filet sides for some type of potato side and leave off the sauce ?
Disney does customer service.

Sauce can always be on-the-side.

If there is a potato on the menu someplace else, yes, you can likely have a substitution. But if the kitchen has no potatoes, they cannot always produce one. For instance, the menu I see has sweet potatoes for kids.

You might also wish to call and have a notation on your reservation if this is a great concern. Because Disney does customer service.

Nope unless they bring it back to the menu. I LOVED it as well, I asked if they could make it 3 weeks ago and was denied. So sad.... The new risotto isn't bad just not as good as the tomato was. They also recently removed the Nutella chocolate cake - total bummer. Hopefully they bring that back as well.

Nope unless they bring it back to the menu. I LOVED it as well, I asked if they could make it 3 weeks ago and was denied. So sad.... The new risotto isn't bad just not as good as the tomato was. They also recently removed the Nutella chocolate cake - total bummer. Hopefully they bring that back as well.
Ugh bit of a heart breaker but thank you so much for your info! I'm positive we will have a great meal no matter what but I was hoping there was a sliver of hope I might be able to have it again. Looking forward to trying the new risotto though :-)

Ugh bit of a heart breaker but thank you so much for your info! I'm positive we will have a great meal no matter what but I was hoping there was a sliver of hope I might be able to have it again. Looking forward to trying the new risotto though :-)

I agree - maybe you'll get lucky and it will be back. I was hoping it was seasonal and it would be back on the menu. It was really good I agree. Let me know if it's back when you go, I won't be back again until spring 2018.

I have done this at several different places with no issues. Disney's customer service is the best, in fact they give seminars to major corporations on this very topic.

We have a lot of food issues to deal with. DS has ASD, and food texture issues. He is getting better as he get's older and more confident with things.

I have to say, most places will leave off a sauce, or swap a side for something that is listed as a side with another meal. (because, you know then that they have it in the kitchen)

Disney, I found, are among the best at making such swaps and making the food work for the customer.

Not sure I would ask for something entirely not on the menu, (that would suggest to me that I am in the wrong restaurant?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter