Camping supplies at Walmart

MalkaR

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if there is a good selection of camping supplies like air mattresses and sleeping bags at the Walmart closest to Disney World? Also, we're flying in, so is it allowed to post on here if someone would want them after we leave?

Ive been to the one in Turkey lake and the one south and they seemed like they were full size Super Walmarts. One thing I have noticed is the camping section shrunk maybe 5 years ago but its back to having a full selection.

Have you thought of shipping the stuff from home or from an online store? Then even sending them back to your home after you are done.

Also not sure you are going to find too many casual campers here to leave them with.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a good selection of camping supplies like air mattresses and sleeping bags at the Walmart closest to Disney World? Also, we're flying in, so is it allowed to post on here if someone would want them after we leave?
Yes, you can definitely post here anything you pass along. I also suggest buying online and mailing it to The Fort. The time of year would also make a difference how much camping stuff they have.

We have done the passing off routine several times over the years. This has included food, cooking supplies, sleeping bags. Not sure who might be there same as you but if no takers I would suggest the mailing it back home option.

Are you renting a tent or something along those lines?

Yes, we're only staying one night, weather permitting, so my boys can enjoy the campfire and get a taste of camping, staying offsite the rest of the time. I have an "amazon wish list" of camping supplies I plan to order to be delivered, but the price of the air mattresses goes up and down and I don't want to pay very much for them, so that's why I thought Walmart might be a good idea. I'm renting a FW tent for the one night. I could buy this stuff ahead of time, but then I'd have to pay for an extra suitcase.

You could always order the supplies from Walmart.com and have them shipped to the store. Shipping is free when shipped to store, and then you have a guarantee what you want will be in stock.

Yes, we're only staying one night, weather permitting, so my boys can enjoy the campfire and get a taste of camping,

Just to be clear, anyone can enjoy the camp fire but why not buy the camping stuff at home and just camp at home? What if they love camping and now you have to buy it all again?

Oh and if you do get air mattresses don't forget the pump.

Last edited:

Also consider that the fort also rents cots. May be cheaper then the air mattress and certainly if you are just going to give it to someone else.

I also like the suggestion of trying the camping at home with the boys. Certainly I understand it May difficult timing and location wise though.

Either way, I hope you have an awesome trio.

I agree, check out the rental cots and not mess around with air mattresses. In my experience with air mattresses, you get what you pay for. One night on a cheapie air mattress could make or break the whole camping experience.

Sounds like a fun plan, though. Have a great time!

Yes, the cots would be better, but I was told I can only fit three in the rental tent, and it's me and three boys. Luckily DH and DM are completely uninterested in camping, so it's not more. Maybe I'll call FW and ask if four cots can be squeezed in.

I know you stated you are only going for one night, and not sure how old your boys are, but you could also have 2 Disney tents pitched on the one site.

11-12-14 028 copy.jpg

So on top of what you paid for your site, add in another $100 for 2 tents and 4 cots, unless you have very young kids, I believe this would be cheaper than buying a 6-8 person tent, (you would want room to move around without stepping on someone in the middle of the night to go to the CS) and 2-4 airbeds. Just my .02 cents.

My kids are pretty young, 7, 5 and 4 so I wouldn't want any of them to be in a tent alone. I called FW but it was 4:50pm (they close at 5) and they already weren't answering the phone. I left a message. I for sure will not be buying and putting up a tent for one night! :) I'd planned to get two queen mattresses and have two people on each, but if they'll let me squeeze in 4 cots, I'd much rather do that.

I think it would be tight, but I'm trying to recall from memory, but I believe the 4 cots should fit in one tent.

1) I would recommend buying the items you need at Walmart.com and having them delivered to the store of your choice.
2) You can pick them up when you are here.
3) If there is a large time gap, call the store Customer Service Desk and tell them your pick-up date.

Just to see, I walked thru my local South West PA large Walmart camping section and the sleeping bag/air mattress section was pretty well stocked up considering its way past camping season.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter