Camping with Pets

falash

Earning My Ears
I would like to know how strict FW is about pets being kenneled when you are visiting the parks. Our little 10 pound dog (2 yr old) has never been in a kennel and is quite happy & comfortable to stay in our trailer during the day while we are gone. She has food, water, toys and the "run" of the trailer. If she stays quiet, will it be okay to leave her? We would never be gone for more than 5 hours at a time.
Also, we will be on loop 300. Anyone stayed there with pets before?

You are allowed to leave her if your camper is hard-sided (no pop-ups), and has air conditioning! :)

We've stayed in 300--it's a very nice pet loop. You can walk your dog along the creek, a pleasant walk. It isn't quite as roomy as the other pet loops and you won't see so many pets, though. I prefer the 1600-1900 loops because I have more paved area to ride the bike/dog combo!

If you are camping in a regular hard-sided trailer you are allowed to keep your pet. Pets may not be left unattended in a pop-up or tent. If your dog is used to being alone she'll be fine. I know mine snoozes the day away!

Alright, time to get packing!

when we stayed there in August. Be forewarned, though, that your dog might want to play in the swampy swales between the campsites or chase the little lizards and frogs that are everywhere!
Terri the Yoopermom

I guess that is our fear too that our doggie will want to play with the critters.

Our dog thinks also he is king of the world and would want to fight other pets. We are usually OK as long as he doesn't get eye to eye with one. How close together are the 1600-1900 loops? Are they spaced far enough apart to give a little pet privacy? Which loop is roomiest?

Ft. Wilderness requires you to keep your pet on a leash when it is being walked. Saw an armadillo in the bushes once, but it was further away than the end of the leash. I think that there are so many pets being walked around the pet loops that most of the critters have gone elsewhere.

The space between sites is is better than most parks and usually has trees and bushes to provide a level of privacy. But all sites are back in and in many cases your front bumper may be 15 to 20 feet back from the road. Pets will be walked past the front of the rig throughout the day and evening. If you have an agressive dog you might want to ask for a deep site when you make your reservation.

We have never had a problem leaving our "furry kid" in the motorhome while we visited the parks or went out to dinner. It may be that the rule is published as a liability shield; in case the power goes off or something else happens which could cause injury to a pet left by itself during the day. Don't see you having a problem. :)

As long as you have A/C on it should be fine. In fact we were told this by CM when making reservations. Our dog slept all day while we were at parks. He sleeps all day while we are at work/school anyway:D And yes, our dog had a great time trying to catch toads and lizards:eek:

What are the "pet walks" like? Are they open fields or paths? How large are they?

I agree with the idea of AC both for comfort and noise. We take our dog (Jack Russell Terrier) on camping trips and he does fine. Just like at home, he has the AC on and we either leave on a radio or TV for additional background noise. In the motorhome we pull the drapes so it is nice and dark. We had neighbors at a campground where we stayed last summer for 7 days say they only heard him once when we were out sightseeing and that was when the maintenance crew was cleaning up around our site and the noise woke him up. He barked for a while and then was quiet until we got back. As long as nobody (including critters) bothers him I am sure he will just enjoy the nap.

We also don't plan on being commandos in the parks anyway and will probably come back to FW by early afternoon anyway.

BESIDES HAVING THE A/C ON WE ALSO LEAVE A COUPLE VENTS OPEN. JUST A SAFETY IN CASE SOMETHING HAPPENS WITH THE POWER..

The walk areas by the canals are open, grassy areas bordered by the trees and campers on one side and the canal on the other. The walk in the 1600-1900 loop goes a really long way--all the way down to the nearby golf course.

When I called Disney reservations they said loop 300 is no longer a pet loop, only 1600-1900. Did this change recently? Thanks!

I seem to remember other people saying that they were told by CRO that 300 wasn't a pet loop. But it is. They must have it wrong in one of their records or something. Call back and ask again, and ask them to double-check. Unless they've just recently changed it, it is a pet loop!

there were pets in it last Saturday, i think we have a case of the right hand not communicating with the left with CRO and Fort Wilderness:rolleyes:

I called this morning and I was able to request 300 as a pet loop. When I originally called the beginning of the week, the first person I talked to said only 1600-1900 were pet loops. You are right, not everyone working there has the same info. I am so glad I got the info here! Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter