Campsite and don't use it..There at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW - paying for a site and not using it is not stealing. However, I do think it's pretty crummy for people to do that just to get the bennies of being onsite. There are limited campsites on property and it's not fair to those who want to camp.

That said, I do this type thing in hotels all the time to maintain my status level. There is no law saying I can't do it. The hotel may have rules about "occupying" the room, but most don't. If I walk into the room and then leave, technically, I've occupied it.

That said, I believe Disney needs to make some rules about this. Occupying a campsite should mean putting up a tent. If there are no tents after a certain amount of time after checkin, the site should be offered to someone else.

FWIW - paying for a site and not using it is not stealing. However, I do think it's pretty crummy for people to do that just to get the bennies of being onsite. There are limited campsites on property and it's not fair to those who want to camp.

That said, I do this type thing in hotels all the time to maintain my status level. There is no law saying I can't do it. The hotel may have rules about "occupying" the room, but most don't. If I walk into the room and then leave, technically, I've occupied it.

That said, I believe Disney needs to make some rules about this. Occupying a campsite should mean putting up a tent. If there are no tents after a certain amount of time after checkin, the site should be offered to someone else.

I am definitely not in agreement with booking a site knowing full well you are not going to occupy it.

That being said.... there are circumstances that keep people from arriving on their check-in date, so FtW management is not going to release a paid for site just because someone hasn't arrived! Also, some people use their RV's as their transportation (yes, you can put a camping van or Class B RV in the 2000 or 1500 loops -heck, I've even seen large Class C & A rigs there) - so they could be checked in, but just not at their site. There are other reasons why a site could be occupied but no one actually in the site at the time you go by it.

Disney will always go with "a bird in the hand" philosophy. If a site is booked & paid for, they could care less if anyone actually uses it. Sad, but true. It just makes it more of a challenge for those of us who really want to stay there.

What I don't understand is this, for a couple of extra bucks you can book a value resort & have the benefit of using it - even if you only come back to the room in the afternoon for a breather. I just don't get the "reserving a campsite for the benefits" theory.

Boy have I stepped in it
:scared1: on that thread...not surprising though!:rotfl2:

I think I added more than my 2 cents worth and should have taken a breather before doing so!:eek:

Phyllis, I added my two cents too. It's a loop hole that others will use to take advantage with. :mad: It makes me mad because sites are already so hard to come by on the weekends, peak times and holidays.

Boy have I stepped in it
:scared1: on that thread...not surprising though!:rotfl2:

I think I added more than my 2 cents worth and should have taken a breather before doing so!:eek:

No, I actually think you had quite a few good points. It seems that everyone has forgotten the morality issue and only wants to see what they can get away with. I said this on the other board and I will say it here...

Why play the game if you don't need to play it in the first place? It is a waste of effort!

Disney put in 1000's of rooms in the 80's and 90's to entice people to stay on property. If you have a limited resource for all and it is misused, the resource becomes unavailable and unusable to all. This is why communism just never worked...

Phyllis, I added my two cents too. It's a loop hole that others will use to take advantage with. :mad: It makes me mad because sites are already so hard to come by on the weekends, peak times and holidays.

it is crap like this along with Disney wanting to sell sites in blocks of time that make all of us have to plan out our trips over a year in advance...

the times of us just coming up to the FW gates and wanting to come in are over...i witnessed a guy screaming at a poor cm because he couldn't get it right before the 4th...it was sad (for the cm, i didn't really feel sorry for the guy because of his attitude)

I can understand people choosing to stay off site. The rates of the rooms are getting pretty expensive. Especially for a family with more than four. So I do see that desire to get better accomodations and pay less by staying off site. Only..when you do so, you are sacraficing the perks that staying on property give you. It's a choice you make. Having a family of five we've had to use Deluxe resorts or two rooms to accomodate us over the years. We could have stayed off site, but being on property was an important part of our vacation. I don't think it's right that someone who chooses to stay off site, for whatever reason...should receive the perks of on property guests. Just doesn't seem right. Why should the campground guests suffer the consequenceds for those choosing to stay off site. I really do wish that there was a way for FW to police this. Or at least open up sites that are obviously not occupied after a day or so. I guess it's like Debbie says.."the bird in hand" attitude. The site is paid for,and they don't have to bother re-booking it. Just creates such ill will, and I'd hope that's something they would want to address.
I wonder has anyone from the forum ever contacted Disney or FW regarding this practice? We should get some type of petition together.

Oh..and I have to just shake my head regarding the poster who indicated that whenever there isn't a logical explanation for not doing something, there are those that will throw around the "moral" issue. It does make you wonder...what's the matter with people? This reminds me of the person who keeps the money when given back the wrong change from a cashier. Sure ...you didn't steal it..but you didn't give it back either. Doesn't make it right.

I plan on saying something when I complain about our botched site assignments for the GG. I see both sides, but cannot morally agree with doing such a thing. I mean, if you are going with a family (and most do), what are you teaching your children? That getting around the system by playing a game is the right thing to do? I just can't condone that. We have enough problems in our society today without having people teaching that to their children, but that is the teacher talking.

I plan on saying something when I complain about our botched site assignments for the GG. I see both sides, but cannot morally agree with doing such a thing. I mean, if you are going with a family (and most do), what are you teaching your children? That getting around the system by playing a game is the right thing to do? I just can't condone that. We have enough problems in our society today without having people teaching that to their children, but that is the teacher talking.

Funny you say that...I've always been told by my dd teachers that it was nice to see a parent teaching their kids "values and right from wrong". It constantly saddens me to see that people aren't teaching their kids these values. We try so hard to teach our girls to "do the right thing"...and that it doesn't always mean you end up with the popular vote.

I too see both sides. Disney *is* expensive and I do understand why folks seek accommodations offsite. But when people do this tent site booking while staying offsite, they are not just "getting over on Disney"....they are taking away from another family that wants to enjoy the site at FW for its *intended purpose*! That's what gets to me! :mad:

It's the mother talking also. :thumbsup2 As parents, we're all teachers to our children.
I'll never forget the look on my son's face when I went back around to the Taco Bell drive through to return the near $40.00 extra change that the cashier gave me. When I counted it, my son had this huge Christmas morning grin...and when I pulled back in..he was dumbfounded. I told him, it wasn't ours to keep. That the cashier might loose her job..and someday he might have a job where he might loose it if he made such a mistake.

I think you're right..what are they teaching their kids by doing something like that? Seems so petty and small, and not a big deal. Only kids watch every little thing. They don't stay little forever..and it would be nice if they turned out to be decent human beings, and you know as a parent that you had just a little something to do with that.

My .03 have been added, and I have a change purse waiting if needed.:thumbsup2

No, I actually think you had quite a few good points. It seems that everyone has forgotten the morality issue and only wants to see what they can get away with. I said this on the other board and I will say it here...

Why play the game if you don't need to play it in the first place? It is a waste of effort!

Disney put in 1000's of rooms in the 80's and 90's to entice people to stay on property. If you have a limited resource for all and it is misused, the resource becomes unavailable and unusable to all. This is why communism just never worked...

Thanks Jen!:thumbsup2

Why are you not in the parks or playing at the Fort? Hope your headaches are gone...I slightly understand.:sad2: I occasionally have ocular migraines but not on a daily basis or to the extent you have had.

Have a good Forth(I mean Fourth!:goodvibes )...I guess I got my goodvibes back now by venting on the other thread...not feeling so evil now!:flower3:

What I don't understand is this, for a couple of extra bucks you can book a value resort & have the benefit of using it - even if you only come back to the room in the afternoon for a breather. I just don't get the "reserving a campsite for the benefits" theory.
I think some people, perhaps with larger families, are booking condos/timeshares/homes offsite and then getting a campsite for the bennies.

Offsite you can get a pretty sweet deal on accomodations for a large family compared to getting 2 or more value rooms.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but I think with the percentage of this happening VS the amount of sites rented each year you all are wasting time you'll never get back. Just book your site way ahead of time. Speaking of that, I could start a thread about all the people who book Christmas knowing it's a 50/50 chance they're going. If it doesn't work out you cancel. Well, what if somebody who wanted the site and couldn't get it because you "MIGHT" go could be a legit complaint. I just say book far in advance and forget the worries.

It does kind of stink though that the people paying the price for those who choose to stay off site..are the campers. Those choosing to stay off property get to have the best of both worlds...the value that an off site accomodation offers and the perks of staying on Disney property, at the campground guests expense.

Somehow..it doesn't seem right. I know there's no policy against it..only..come on, it's not right. What ever happened to the "pay it forward" attitude. Seems all you hear about is the "screw it..I paid for it" attitude.
I'm embarrassed to see that some of the posters are from Long Island on that thread..and honestly..that is a VERY prevelent attitude here. That..and "my kid can do no wrong..and I'll sue you".:sad2:

I added a couple of comments. I don't know, I just find it disturbing that there are so many people who are willing to do almost anything in the name of providing their family with a Disney vacation. I think maybe some are losing touch with what's really relevant in life.

Apparently there has to be a "law" to do the right thing. :confused: Kind of sad. :sad2:

Man, this aribelle person sure can write novels. The problem is, they make very little sense. It's going the way all those threads go. These morons are going to do whatever they want to anyway. To me, it makes no sense to pay an extra 42 bucks a day plus tax, not to mention taking time out to actually check in at an on site resort, in order to get free parking. Doesn't that make the parking 42 bucks a day instead of 11? Oh yes - they also get the privilege of buying the DDP, so they can gorge themselves. Let's face it, there is no reasoning with this group. I am thankful they are in the minority, and most can figure out this is no bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter