Cam's New Lease on Life Journal (comments welcome!)

Thanks for asking, Tracy. :hug: When I am sitting still, my knee is not painful at all. Moving it or touching it hurts but even that is getting better. I slept okay last night without taking any dilaudid, which was my goal.

I have an appointment this afternoon. I am sorry for the TMI, but this is totally freaking me out. I noticed a tiny piece of suture line at the bottom of the incision and thought I could just pull it out with a tweezer, thinking it was just sort of sitting there. Well, when I pulled it, it got longer and then I couldn't pull it anymore and I almost vomited from the situation. Now I am freaked out that there is suture line left inside my leg that did not come out when he took out the stitches last week. :eek: I am SOOO not looking forward to whatever he is going to have to do to get this out. Overall, the incision looks like it is healing well, but there are spots where it is a bit lumpy and the whole area is discolored like a huge elongated (4" incision) bruise. I'll be curious to see what he thinks this afternoon.

Cam - I am so glad that you are making sure to eat all your points and balancing things out. I kno wit's hard fro you not too eat less. You rock! :scared1:Sorry about the sutcher. Glad you can get it looked at today. I hope it can be very easily fixed. :hug:

Thanks, Carrie!

I just had dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt (80 calories!) with a tiny bit of sliced almonds mixed in. OMG!! This is so delicious! I swear it's like having dessert for breakfast!! I used to do this with mini pretzels in place of the almonds - just 2 or 3 mini pretzels broken up and mixed in is so delicious!

Glad you found the bag, Cam! Sorry about the pain and the suture.....ICK!!!!! Hoping to hear it was nothing bad. I, too, would be freaked!

Your food is incredibly good! I love yogurt with 'stuff' added. My fav is vanilla with a dash of cinnamon, fiberone cereal and fresh berries.

Praying all goes well and pain eases soon!

Thanks, Tracy & Julie! Julie -- Your yogurt mix sounds delicious!

The doctor was able to cut the suture line that was protruding and said that the internal sutures will absorb, fortunately. He was very pleased with how much I've accomplished in teaching my knee to bend to better than 90 degrees with no weight bearing. I have another 2 weeks of no weight bearing/mostly wheelchair, during which time I can start PT. Then I'll be fitted with a brace that can be adjusted to a limited range of motion so that I can start bending it and putting 50% weight on it with crutches.

So, it will be a slow process, but well worth it if my knee is strong when it is healed.

I went over my points by 2.5 yesterday because I was so hungry at about 10 pm that I ate a turkey burger with fat free cheese. Interestingly, the scale was actually down a bit this morning. I do NOT understand how my body works. LOL!

Food today:
B: coffee w/skim milk; apple (2)
L: LC panini (6)
S: yogurt w/sliced almonds (2); 100 calorie cheezit snack mix (2)
D: turkey with lettuce, tomato & sweet peppers on whole wheat roll; reduced fat kettle chips :eek:

I'm glad to hear that your doctor's appointment went well, Cam. :goodvibes

Great job on points yesterday! :thumbsup2 Are you doing the Flex Plan?

Hope you have a wonderful day!:hug:

I'm glad to hear that your doctor's appointment went well, Cam. :goodvibes

Great job on points yesterday! :thumbsup2 Are you doing the Flex Plan?

Hope you have a wonderful day!:hug:

Yes, Tracy, I am following the WW flex plan, though I have not been good about following the healthy guidelines for healthy oils. :rolleyes1 Veggies, dairy and water haven't been too bad, though.

Cam, so glad you are continuing to heal and that your pain is getting better. That is great news!!

I am also glad the doctor was able to get that suture thing out and is pleased with your progress. That would have freaked me out too, glad it was all fine and good!

I am laughing at your "I do NOT understand how my body works" line! I can totally relate to that.:rotfl:

That yogurt and almonds thing sounds very good. I am going to have try that.

The healthy oils thing has never been easily accomplished by me. Sorry but its tough to want to add in those points and its not second nature to pour oil into other foods/beverages. And honestly, when I did do that, I didnt' notice any difference with hunger/satisfaction like they said I would.:confused3 I also don't find the veggies, water and dairy tough to do either.

Hope your weekend was a good one!

Thanks, Amy!
We had an awesome weekend, though it wasn't easy to stay on track, food-wise. All in all, I think I did really well.

Friday night, I didn't get dinner until 9:30 on our way home from special olympics opening ceremonies. We stopped at wawa and I had DH get me turkey, lettuce, tomato & sweet peppers on a whole wheat roll (dry) and a bag of reduced fat kettle chips.

Saturday was tough because I was home alone while my family was off working with special olympics. When I finally got around to eating something, my BFF called to say he and his fiance were nearby and were bringing lunch. So, I let him talk me into a nice treat. The good thing is that I didn't eat anything else the rest of the day until I ate 2 slices of lunchmeat turkey before bed just to have a bit of protein.

Saturday food:
Brunch: apple; WW santa fe style rice & beans over lettuce
Late lunch early dinner: 1 slice anthony's coal fired pizza; 2 baked chicken wings; 1 bite sweet sausage
S: 2 slices deli turkey

Yesterday was tough because we went to a barbecue at our friends' house and there was so much good food. I think I was pretty restrained though I should have asked Howard to move the chips away from me.

B: apple, dunkin donuts egg white flatbread with turkey sausage
L: baby carrots, veggie burger on roll; salad w/candied pecans; a few chips; 1 rainbow cookie
D: turkey burger on 1/2 whole wheat flat wrap; 1/2 piece grilled chicken; small slice london broil

Today should be much better, though I am so hungry already that it is unbelievable.
B: coffee, apple
S: yogurt w/sliced almonds
L: Lean Cuisine panini
S: pretzel crisps w/laughing cow cheese
D: whole wheat pasta w/rotel
S: mini bag of light popcorn; 1 WW chocolate chip cookie

Cam - It can take your body a couple days to catch up weight wise. Thatalways gets me. I will eb bad and my weight goes down so I think I can be bad again. Nope, the weight shift was from being good a few days agao. So, har dto figure out. Just try to be slow and steady. If your body is screaming that it's truely hungry, as it sounded like teh otehr night, feed it. It knows what it needs. It's just when our heads say we're hungry tha twe get into trouble.

Of course, I know these things, but that doesn't mean I do well implementing them. :guilty:

You are doing awesome!!!!

Thanks, Carrie! I keep telling myself that I have to be good now if I want my weigh in to be good on Friday. I am really hoping that I will have lost a lot more than the .2 I gained last week. Still, 6.4 over 2 weeks isn't bad.

Today:
B: coffee w/skim milk (.5)
S: yogurt w/almonds (2)
L: whole wheat pasta w/rotel (6)
S: pretzel crisps & laughing cow cheese (4)
D: grilled chicken strips; green beans (4)

Glad the suture issue is resolved! ICKY!!!!

Food still looks good! 6.4 in 2 weeks is definitely a good thing.

Hope things all continue to keep healing well! Still praying!

Thank you, Tracy and Julie! I was doing okay yesterday. PT was not as hard as I thought it would be, seems I've been making progress over the past week pretty well. However, about an hour or 2 after I got home I was in a lot of pain and nauseous from it. I ended up climbing in bed early and stayed there. I didn't even eat much and even though I had Andrew bring me my devil dog that I'd been looking forward to for dessert, I didn't even eat it. I ended up having way too few points yesterday. I may allow myself a treat or two today or maybe Indian food for dinner.

Food today:
B: coffee w/skim milk; apple (1.5)
S: Special K fruit crisps (2)
L: grilled chicken strips & green beans (4); 1/2 bag fritos (5)
S: sugar free jello (0)

Cam, I think you are doing awesome with your food. If this was me, I'd be eating bunches of Devil Dogs feeling sorry for myself. But you are a trooper and doing so well, I am impressed!

I am sorry you had so much pain after your PT. I hope you are doing better with that.

I hope you had some Indian food for dinner, you certainly deserved something tasty and comforting!

Thank you, my WISH friends!

Last night, I broke down and asked Andrew to set up the ice/compression system for me and I used it for more than an hour. In the interim, I was dealing with details regarding a potential emergency for this morning's hearing. When I finally fell asleep I was in enough pain that I woke up and took something for it. It really does get me about 4 hours of mostly pain-free sleep, which is good.

Dinner last night was a mix of lean ground turkey, onions, mushrooms & A1. And I did have my devil dog for dessert. :) Boy, did I enjoy that. Still a little low on points yesterday and the scale was up about .5 this morning, which is ridiculous. Since WI isn't until tomorrow, I am not going to worry about it.

I have a hearing this morning, my first court appearance since my surgery. My file clerk/paralegal/friend will get me to the courtroom in the wheelchair and I am hoping there is actually room at counsel table for me to pull the wheelchair up to it. I am not going to take the crutches so the US Marshals don't think they are potential weapons. Getting through the metal detectors with the steel rodded immobilizer may be an adventure in and of itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter