Can an urgent-care clinic issue a 90-day recovered letter?

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
We are now within 90 days of our cruise, so this COVID testing/denial at the port is starting to get real.

I am in-between PCPs right now. My previous one recently retired, and I’m not due to see my new one until July for my annual check-up.

If I happen to test positive and recover in time to qualify for a 90-day recovered letter for my cruise, does anyone know if an urgent-care physician can issue that letter? My new PCP is pretty jammed up and it’d probably be a whole lot easier and quicker to go the urgent-care route if possible.

Plz and thx.

Yup....read #2....and instead of a "Letter" on letterhead our primary care doctor wrote a note on his script pad that had all the pertinent info and it was accepted by Safe Passage.

MJ

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that as with any healthcare provider, it may depend on their comfort level in declaring you "recovered" and "clear for travel."

Yes, I understand. The question was “can they,” not “will they.”

Month or so ago I called all over trying to find someone that would do the letter.... now there are two clinics offing documentation for travel on their roadside signage.

I used QuickMD (online doctor) for my letter because I don't have a primary. I had no problem with it being accepted on my Feb 5th sailing.

That’s even better. Thanks!

Thanks for this thread - I was gonna post the same question. Husband and I both tested positive this weeek and don’t have PCPs. If anyone else has other options, would love to hear them.

I do have a related question: does this apply to unvaccinated kids under 5 as well? I didn’t see anything on DCL’s website but wanted to be sure.

I used QuickMD for mine, too. Cost $75. My local urgent care clinic, the one where I got my PCR test, actually recommended it because they wouldn't/didn't do it.

So, while it would be acceptable, the clinic might not do it.

I used QuickMD for mine, too. Cost $75. My local urgent care clinic, the one where I got my PCR test, actually recommended it because they wouldn't/didn't do it.

So, while it would be acceptable, the clinic might not do it.

Can you describe the process? Do they have you take another test so they can see the negative result? Or do you have to provide results to them in advance?

When I tested positive last week, I specifically asked the urgent care I went to if they would also issue the recovery letter and they said yes, just to come by 10 days post-positive test. They said I didn’t need an appointment. So should you end up in a situation where you are getting tested to have it “official”, just explain then what you will need, and see what they say. At the least if they say no, it will buy you 10 days to figure out a plan B.

Can you describe the process? Do they have you take another test so they can see the negative result? Or do you have to provide results to them in advance?
I didn't have to have a negative result. They just asked questions. I think they follow the CDC guidelines that if it's been XX (sorry, it's changed so many times I don't remember) days since your positive test, and your symptoms are improving then they consider you okay to travel. I was worried because I did have a lingering cough, but they didn't seem to care and seemed fairly certain that I wouldn't be contagious. (I was close. I tested positive 2 weeks before we traveled - 16 days before we sailed. BUT I had also been sick for 2/3 days and was already improving by the time I actually tested positive. It's just...weird).

Edit... Oh, and I made the appointment online for "next available" (though you could chose a more specific day/time) and it was all via phone (video chat was also an option). There was some stuff I had to fill out online prior to the call, but for my son, I never actually got all the details uploaded before they called and they were still fine giving him the letter.

I didn't have to have a negative result. They just asked questions. I think they follow the CDC guidelines that if it's been XX (sorry, it's changed so many times I don't remember) days since your positive test, and your symptoms are improving then they consider you okay to travel. I was worried because I did have a lingering cough, but they didn't seem to care and seemed fairly certain that I wouldn't be contagious. (I was close. I tested positive 2 weeks before we traveled - 16 days before we sailed. BUT I had also been sick for 2/3 days and was already improving by the time I actually tested positive. It's just...weird).

Edit... Oh, and I made the appointment online for "next available" (though you could chose a more specific day/time) and it was all via phone (video chat was also an option). There was some stuff I had to fill out online prior to the call, but for my son, I never actually got all the details uploaded before they called and they were still fine giving him the letter.
Thanks! I got an official test on Sunday so I guess I'll wait 10 days from then.

Wanted to update this: I used MDAnywhere today for my 90 day recovery letter. I answered several questions regarding when I first had symptoms, what symptoms I had, when I tested positive, other medical conditions I have, etc. They required I upload a selfie taken today, a photo of my driver's license to verify my identity, and a photo of the test results (it would not accept a PDF so I had to convert it to a jpeg file). Once I submitted everything I got a notification my letter was ready within 10 minutes. Very easy process. Cost $69.

Also, my son somehow avoided Covid while my husband and I had it, but caught it someplace else. And he just got his first vaccine shot last week too. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter