Can someone tell me what Creme Brulee is ?

Ron from Michigan

DIS Veteran
My wife and myself were looking at menus for our next trip and saw creme brulee on almost every menu. It must be really great to see it on so many menus, but we don't know what kind of dessert this is. Thanks for any help out there.

Oh, it is WONDERFUL!!!! It is a custard like dessert that is served warm. I have had it with raspberries on top and it was wonderful. I have also had it served cold and it was NOT as good. I think the key is served warm. I LOVE IT. I hope you will too.

The typical or basic creme brulee is an egg type custard baked in a ramekin with a hard caramelized sugar on top. There are now many variations. We had one at K-Paul's in New Orleans that had a praline crust on the bottom - good stuff.

You need to blow torch the top, so most people don't make it at home! I have a friend who does, it's yummy! Traditional flavor is usually vanilla bean but at WDW they have many variations. I think it's more a Southern specialty, don't see it up north on the menu too much.

If you like Butterscotch...you have to try the Butterscotch Creme Brulee at Tony's in the MK. My husband is looking forward to that more than anything on the trip!!!

My Favorite desert. I cant wait to try it at WDW, I will try it every where it is served.

It is a vanilla type custard with brown sugar on top that has been carmelized by using a flame.

It is wonderful, In NY its usually only served in pretty decent restaurants, Not something you would find in a diner.

Another reason to count the days!

I dont order dessert unless it is the creme brulee! My favorite is when they serve it as a trio. You get three little cups with a different flavor in each. My favorite is the Grand Marnia (spelling).
You have to try it!:D

Sometimes it is cold (my club serves it frozen - which I'm not fond of, but I do like it cold). You can make it at home without a blowtorch by carmelizing the sugar. I've done it a couple times (before I invested in the blowtorch) and it works ok. You can even buy a prepackaged mix at the grocery store. It isn't brown sugar (in its pure form) its usually a big grained white sugar.

In its basic form, think vanilla pudding with a candy (carmalized sugar) top.

Its French in origin, and you see it on the menu all over the place in the Twin Cities - in "finer" dining establishments.

My favorite dessert ever....I love eating it while visiting the World.....

Don't know why I read this thread...being that I know what creme brulee is, even if I haven't eaten it before.

But I tell you....I'm definitely planning on trying it next time I see it on a menu! LOL.....I usually opt for something chocolate. I love all the descriptions...and the trio of flavors sounds wonderful. Where do you get that particular version?

Thanks for all the great reply's. This is the one dessert that we can't wait to try. I cannot believe all the different flavors they have at WDW.

I had 5 different Brulees on my honeymoon. They were:

1. Vanilla Bean. Victoria & Albert's. By far, the BEST dessert I've ever had in my entire life.

2. Butterscotch. California Grill. Amazing.

3. Banana. Cinderella's Royal Table. Very good.

4. Lemon. 'Ohana. Again, very good.

5. Citrus. Citrico's. This was pretty good. A little sweet for me, but definitely worth trying.

I'm looking forward to expanding my Brulee knowledge during my December trip!!

creme brulee is also known as caramel custard which is a nice desert both was you say it the french way or the english way we tend to eat it cold from the fridge the pots we get it in have a little hole in them which are sealed with foil. open up the pot turn upside down onto a plate remove seal and custard falss on to plate and carramel ozzes onto it ready to eat. The idea of the flme is for dramateic efect like when you flombay somthin it looks nice so they charge more
Paulh

Originally posted by paulh
creme brulee is also known as caramel custard which is a nice desert both was you say it the french way or the english way we tend to eat it cold from the fridge the pots we get it in have a little hole in them which are sealed with foil. open up the pot turn upside down onto a plate remove seal and custard falss on to plate and carramel ozzes onto it ready to eat. The idea of the flme is for dramateic efect like when you flombay somthin it looks nice so they charge more
Paulh

Creme Brulee and Caramel custard have the same basic recipe for the custard part but they are different in the fact that caramel custard had a sugary glaze "built in" to the bottom of the custard and is usually serve cold. Creme brulee doesn't have this sugary ooze on the bottom and is generally served warm and eaten directly from the ramekin. Hence IMHO creme brulee and caramel custard are both very good but are different desserts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter