Can we get expensive menu item on Dining Plan?

angelkk

Mouseketeer
We are on Dining Plan, but the guidelines looks so confusing to us. I read this forum and understand that we cannot add lobster tail to any meals (unless pay OOP), but other than that, are there any restrictions? We are trying to maximize our value if possiblee :p

Anyone know if the following are possible?

1. ordering "Fresh Maine Lobster $18" as Starter at Flying Fish Cafe (2TS)
2. ordering "Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter $24" as Start at California Grill (2TS)
3. ordering "Whole Maine Lobster $54" as Main Course at Narcoossee's? (2TS)
4. order "Milkeshake" as drink at Whispering Canyon Cafe (1TS)?
5. order apple/orange juice as drink at other TS restaurant (instead of softdrink)?

angelkk said:
We are on Dining Plan, but the guidelines looks so confusing to us. I read this forum and understand that we cannot add lobster tail to any meals (unless pay OOP), but other than that, are there any restrictions? We are trying to maximize our value if possiblee :p

2. ordering "Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter $24" as Start at California Grill (2TS)
5. order apple/orange juice as drink at other TS restaurant (instead of softdrink)?

I wouldn't plan my trip around looking for ways to "beat the system". The menus you see in the internet aren't official and MYW Dining is causing some restaurants to drop some items from the menu or put them in a category that allows them to exclude it.

AFAIK 1 and 3 are currently allowed. Some of the Sushi at CG can be ordered as an entrée but not as an appetizer I'm not sure about Yoshies's Sushi platter. Unless it's changed milkshakes were allowed as a drink. Although most restaurants may let you order juice as a drink you probably won't get free refills.

Some of the WS restaurants give you better value than many of the 2 credit signature restaurants.

We will be going to Narcoossee's in a week's time. DW also wants to get Surf and Turf, or lobster since she likes seafood. Basically she is willing to pay 2TS for this meal because of wishes, want to check out GF, and lobster :smooth:

I believe there is no restrictions in all disney-owned restaurants, but I heard there are some limits in CS meals at downtown disney.

There are menu items at many of the Signature restaurants that are excluded from the plan. Best bet is to ask your server when you are aseated. And as Lewis pointed out, planning meals to milk every last penny from the plan is probably going to backfire as menu's change day-to-day and some items are excluded.

IMHO it's better use of the plan to eat where you'd like to eat rather than fretting about squeezing an extra dollar from it.

Anne

Thanks for the comments. I am not intended to beat the system too, as I know the main purpose of the trip is to have the happiest celebration on earth with my kid, not eat :p

I guess the best bet is to inform the server that we are on dining plan first, and see if there will be any limitation before our order. I guess they would be nice enough to advice what will cost us extra. Actually we need to do so too since DS2 is not on any dining plan and we plan to order some stuff for him OOP.

We have made ADR for quite a few character meals, which DH (a seafood lover) is not too interested. He glanced thru the Narcoossee's menu on All Ears, and said that "if i can order lobster, then we go".

I searched thru the board, but rarely found any comments on Narcoossee's. Wondering the 2TS is because of its location (GF), or it is a good seafood restaurant (compared to Flying Fish). In other words, does it worth 2 TS?

Glad to know that we can get apple/orange juice as drink on dining plan. Sometime having too much POPs in a day, I would prefer water (even tap water) or juice.

The question isn't if an item is excluded, there are very few exclusions at the Disney run restaurants but rather don't be disappointed if the menu item you saw posted in an internet site isn't even on the menu.

If you're looking for good seafood go to Cap'n Jacks at DTD. They don't take ADRs but if you go early it won't be too busy. We went to Narcoossee's and Cap'n Jacks. We had lobster at both. We got the surf n turf at Narc and the 2 lobster tail meal at Cap'n Jacks. Cap'n Jacks is one TS and Narc. is 2. Cap'n Jacks was so much better, and a way better deal. We thought they were snotty at Narc. We didn't enjoy that meal at all. We wished we had chosen a different signature restaurant.

Here is a pic of our food at Cap'n Jacks:

78460lobster2.jpg

Is your mouth watering yet!!??

We used the DDP from 2/19-2/24 and would recommend it highly. We did not have anything that was excluded from our meals at TS or CS. Our kids did get the milkshakes at WC included in their meals and they were great. If we ordered the skillet dinner at WC, the app was the salad included with the skillet. But the 3 other adults that did not order the skillet were allowed to order app.

We could order anything off the menu at Coral Reef but did notice that the menu was "downgraded" since they switched from Signature to regular dining. They no longer offer lobster. Stay away from the crab cake entree, not the best. Our meal for 2A and 2C with tax and tip was $172. With the DDP costing us about $92/day, that was an $80 saving just on that diner not including the CS and snacks for the day. I think it was well worth it for our family.

robnkris said:
If you're looking for good seafood go to Cap'n Jacks at DTD. They don't take ADRs but if you go early it won't be too busy. We went to Narcoossee's and Cap'n Jacks. We had lobster at both. We got the surf n turf at Narc and the 2 lobster tail meal at Cap'n Jacks. Cap'n Jacks is one TS and Narc. is 2. Cap'n Jacks was so much better, and a way better deal. We thought they were snotty at Narc. We didn't enjoy that meal at all. We wished we had chosen a different signature restaurant.

Here is a pic of our food at Cap'n Jacks:

78460lobster2.jpg

Is your mouth watering yet!!??

Wow those lobster tails look amazing ! My mouth is watering !!! I don't think the OP was trying to milk or beat the system. I love seafood myself & specially lobster. I also plan on getting the dining plan & will order stuff that normally I might think is too pricey but have always wanted to eat at Disney. & that includes more TS restaurants when normally we would only do 1 or 2. I think it's great you can order about anything from the menu & try different appetizers & desserts on the dining plan. :goodvibes

pandora174 said:
I don't think the OP was trying to milk or beat the system. I love seafood myself & specially lobster. I also plan on getting the dining plan & will order stuff that normally I might think is too pricey but have always wanted to eat at Disney. & that includes more TS restaurants when normally we would only do 1 or 2. I think it's great you can order about anything from the menu & try different appetizers & desserts on the dining plan. :goodvibes

I agree. I loved the dining plan because we were poor first year teachers and never got to eat out. Then at WDW we were high class. We got to order whatever we wanted. Yes, I did go to some really nice restaurants because I could order expensive seafood. I don't see anything wrong with that. I also went to Sci-Fi, so I didn't try to milk it for all it's worth.

angelkk said:

2. Yoshie's deluxe platter cannot be ordered as an appetizer at the Cali Grill. The reason is it's for two people. But the rest of them that are listed at all ears at the moment can be ordered including the ones over $20. The Yoshi's platter for $13 can be ordered as well.
We got the Snake in the grass, the Tuna 3 ways and the spicy sensation (3 adults.) All were Yummy.
5. Apple/Orange Juce can be ordered at other TS if they serve them. Milk can also.
3. Whole Maine Lobster can be ordered main course at Narcoosee's."

Keep in mind that at many restaurants, the menus change so not everything you see listed at allears will be necessarily available when you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter