Can you believe it? We've going to Orlando and NOT cruising!

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
I'm in the middle of preparing for our trip to Orlando this weekend (leave Fri. and returning home Weds. 10/30). Believe it or not, we are NOT going on a Disney cruise this time! I am going down for a work conference, so DH is joining me. We're flying out a couple of days early, and then we can do the parks in the evening when I'm done at the conference. We did try to sneak in a cruise (an Illuminations pontoon cruise) but no such luck. Oh well, I think we'll find plenty to keep us busy. It's going to feel so strange being down there and not heading out to Port Canaveral or seeing the ship. And (big trauma for me!) we had to rent a car instead of using Happy Limo and the WDW transportation because we're staying at an offsite hotel (Marriott Orlando World Center), and the conference is at the Swan/Dolphin. This will be the first time we've EVER driven in Orlando, so wish us luck!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

good luck - have fun - dont work too hard (what do you do for work that they are sending you to Disney for a conference? Im in the wrong field - lol)

I was just commenting that last Dec when I flew to Orlando from Rhode Island and this vacation in 5.5wks I havent gone to Disney World! They are/were both cruises! First on NCL and coming up soon on the Magic!

You'll have to add Disney World to your website!

When do you arrive on Friday? There are a BUNCH of the Halloween cruisers coming in that day - maybe you'll see us wandering around with that pre-cruise excited looks on our faces!

We get in at 4:30 on American - let us know and enjoy your weekend!

You'll love the Marriott World Center. It's a <b><i>huge</i></b> complex with really neat pool, and (perhaps more importantly) a Starbucks in the lobby!

Hey COOL, I'm glad you actually get to go, Barb!!! :)

I always drive in Orlando, it's gotten much better since they have improved their road signage! :) Just get a good map from your rental car company.

Go enjoy the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot, it's a blast! :)

I don't believe it!!! ;)

A few tips, being we just got back. (may be redundant, but ya never know!)

1) Take the south airport exit and follow 417 and look for 536 and follow it - it'll take you almost directly to the Mariott. It's clearly marked, you won't get lost. A very uncrowded and pleasant drive over. You'll need two $1 tolls. That place look gorgeous, btw. (edit - thanks Dave, I don't want to get them lost either! :D )

2) If you havn't seen it yet, make sure to go to MGM and see the 100 years of Walt, you will not be disappointed.

3) Lately the terrace to the right of the Rose & Crown pub has not been reserved for most evenings(it used to be a private party EVERY night), and it's a prime location to see Illuminations from, and usually stays uncrowded until close to showtime.

4) For a very quick bite on the way over to Epcot walk the Boardwalk and get hot dogs from the Blue Wagon. They are exceptional.

5) For a better and easy meal if you're going to the MK go to the Poly and eat at the just remodeled Kona Cafe. The Teriyaki Beef salad is incredible.

Enjoy!

ok, ok, I fess up, I stink at numbers! :jester:

I went and looked at a map before making corrections - I knew there was a 500 number in there somewhere! :)

Oh, and here's a map to show basically where it is in relation to the world.
map.jpg

We did try to sneak in a cruise (an Illuminations pontoon cruise) but no such luck.

Hey Barb --

You may not be totally out of luck. Last year, I wanted to book my family on one of these boats to celebrate my step-dad's 75th birthday. He is a Disney-aholic and he & my Mom have annual passes and go up there (they live in So. FL) all the time. Anyway, I wanted to do something different and tried to book one of these to no avail. Instead I booked another boat trip, not the Illuminations, but a day time birthday cruise. Sorry for the long intro, here's the point of the story. The CM taking my reservation told me to call every day up to the day before I wanted, as they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. Lo and behold, about 3 days before the trip, someone cancelled, and we got to do his birthday on the boat! Being a Disney experience, it was done RIGHT. They decorated the boat with balloons and streamers and banners, and they provided a GORGEOUS cake and loads of snacks & drinks.

So keep calling and maybe you'll get lucky too.

Also, you'll like the Marriott. It is soooo close to the World. We own a timeshare next door at Vistana. It's a superb location.

Allison

We did try to sneak in a cruise (an Illuminations pontoon cruise) but no such luck.

Hey Barb --

You may not be totally out of luck. Last year, I wanted to book my family on one of these boats to celebrate my step-dad's 75th birthday. He is a Disney-aholic and he & my Mom have annual passes and go up there (they live in So. FL) all the time. Anyway, I wanted to do something different and tried to book one of these to no avail. Instead I booked another boat trip, not the Illuminations, but a day time birthday cruise. Sorry for the long intro, here's the point of the story. The CM taking my reservation told me to call every day up to the day before I wanted, as they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. Lo and behold, about 3 days before the trip, someone cancelled, and we got to do his birthday on the boat! Being a Disney experience, it was done RIGHT. They decorated the boat with balloons and streamers and banners, and they provided a GORGEOUS cake and loads of snacks & drinks.

So keep calling and maybe you'll get lucky too.

Also, you'll like the Marriott. It is soooo close to the World. We own a timeshare next door at Vistana. It's a superb location.

Allison

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Unfortunately, we don't get in until late Fri. night (really, more like Sat. morning since it's around midnight). I appreciate the info. on how to get to the hotel easily, as I think we will barely be conscious and easy directions will be the only way we'll make it there! And with a Starbucks in the lobby, I think that a few (okay, more than a few) Iced Carmel Machiattos (I know I mangled the spelling) will be consumed.
I called about the Illuminations cruise today and the CM said they had just gotten a cancellation for 11/2, so who knows, I might get lucky with the Oct. dates. I have plenty of long-distance minutes on my cell phone, and if not, we'll check out that area near Rode & Crown.
All our other ressies are made...as much as I would love to try Kona, Ohana will lure us away. It has always been one of my favorite WDW restaurants, and now I like it even more because the name reminds me of my favorite Disney movie. We'll be doing a Fantasmic dinner package at Brown Derby too (Cobb salad....mmmmmm!).
Barb

Oops, and I forgot to mention...
The conference is a Macromedia conference. They are the makers of the software I use at work for internet development (I design and develop online training courses...bet no one would have ever guess that my "day job" involves internet development!). I just got the new release of their software, Dreamweaver MX, but since I was two released behind, I have no idea of how to maximize its potential. It was a nice surprise to discover that the conference is in Orlando :D :D :D .
Whenever I look at my DCL website, I think of all the fancy things I would love to do it to (I know quite a bit of Javascript and ASP/VBscript), but by the time I am done at work, more internet programming is the last thing I want to do. That's why Tony has slowly but surely taken over my site.
Barb

Enjoy your trip! Ohana is our family favorite as well. It will be weird onour next trip being just a cruise (the opposite)!

Deb

Don't forget "Grapefruit Cake" for dessert at the BD. YUM! If you are really 'flush', and need a cruise 'fix', try the Grand I at the GF for a sunset cruise. It is wonderful!

Jus tbe prepared, that Cobb salad is gonna cost you forty bucks. (Sorry, but this change in the Fantasmic Package, now a pre-paid over-priced forcing into appetizer, entree and desert is a dirty trick.)

Just be prepared, that Cobb salad is gonna cost you forty bucks. (Sorry, but this change in the Fantasmic Package, now a pre-paid over-priced forcing into appetizer, entree and desert is a dirty trick.) Why not just charge an extra 20-30 bucks for reserved seating at Fantasmic???? I know, I know, debate board.

Yikes, I didn't know about the changes to the Fantasmic package! Oh well, at least I will be "forced" to have dessert, so I can eat that awesome grapefruit cake guilt-free. :D :D
Hubby thinks I'm nuts, but it's my favorite dessert at WDW, especially since they took away the dessert I used to love at the Royal Table (the ice cream/frozen orange juice twist at MK is my second favorite dessert).
We leave tomorrow night, so I am getting VERY excited. I also just found out that there is a special conference event where we will have Universal all to ourselves (just the Macromedia group) for three hours on Tues. night.
Barb

Have fun Barb and Tony. We ended up spending 10 days at Orlando before the first 7 day on the Magic. Son #3 earned a baseball trip to Nationals being held at Orlando. Take about hectic and strange. Being at the parks but not staying on property, yuck. Then we flew home only to leave again 6 days later for the first 7 day on the Magic. When we flew back we felt like we were going home! we were there for so long. In one week we will be going to Ft. Lauderdale for a boat show and my brain is telling me, no, you are flying to Florida so you must be cruising. Nope, no cruise ship this time. We will see some very nice boats but no DCL. Kathy

We always go to the Derby just so I can have grapefruit cake too. Get it to go with a fork and then eat it during the Fantasmic if you are too stuffed from the appetizer and entree. Have you tried asking for vanilla ice cream with pineapple juice at the Adventureland stand? They have listed a pineapple ice cream in pineapple juice, which I ate, but I saw someone with this combo that wasn't on the menu. I also have the recipe for the grapefruit cake, not hard to make. Want it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter