Canada Set To Announce Dropping Covid Tests for Visits Under 72 hours

My plan for this is to fly from MCO-Bangor and cross the land border. I will pack one of those Air Canada tests with me and only take the test upon landing in Bangor. Results are supposed to be emailed very quickly. We will spend the night there and drive across the border the next day to come home. I am like you, I don't want to test in Orlando because if one of us does test positive, I cannot in good conscience get on that plane.
May I ask where you get the Air Canada test from?

Globe and Mail reporting this a.m. that the easing of restrictions will be a three-step plan, and this recent announcement re: 72 hours trips is the first one. The article said PM Trudeau would announce all three steps on Friday, which would be a great improvement over this maddening month-at-a-time stuff. I hope we actually do hear a plan.

Globe and Mail reporting this a.m. that the easing of restrictions will be a three-step plan, and this recent announcement re: 72 hours trips is the first one. The article said PM Trudeau would announce all three steps on Friday, which would be a great improvement over this maddening month-at-a-time stuff. I hope we actually do hear a plan.
Awesome!!

May I ask where you get the Air Canada test from?
https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/
You don't need to fly Air Canada or even be an aeroplan member to purchase. I love the fact that I pack it in my suitcase, take it at my leisure and have the results pretty much immediately.

I'm with you! Hope they announce actual dates tomorrow for the changes so that we can plan accordingly.

Switch Health.
Thank you. Looked into that but with the cost being $149/person and needing to make an International call to administer it, not sure that's a good option for us as there are 2 in our travel party.

Keeping it as an option but hoping after tomorrow we'll have more clarity for our upcoming trip.

You don't need to fly Air Canada or even be an aeroplan member to purchase. I love the fact that I pack it in my suitcase, take it at my leisure and have the results pretty much immediately.
Have you used these? How long are you normally on the call to administer the test? Is $149 for Aeroplan or non-Aeroplan members? Thanks!!

Hey all, just a reminder that it is not specifically a PCR test that is required, but instead a molecular test, of which the PCR is one of many. The NAAT (Rapid test at Walgreens) is also molecular.

As for returning to Canada at the land border, if you are a Canadian citizen you cannot be denied entry, regardless of vaccination or even COVID status. You have to be let in, even if you do not have test results. You would most likely be ordered into quarantine without a test, and face hefty fines, but they can't prevent you from entering the country.

I'm with you! Hope they announce actual dates tomorrow for the changes so that we can plan accordingly.

Thank you. Looked into that but with the cost being $149/person and needing to make an International call to administer it, not sure that's a good option for us as there are 2 in our travel party.

Keeping it as an option but hoping after tomorrow we'll have more clarity for our upcoming trip.

Have you used these? How long are you normally on the call to administer the test? Is $149 for Aeroplan or non-Aeroplan members? Thanks!!
I have not used these, but there are a few threads on here of people who have. Seems to be a short call and then results 15-60 minutes later. $149 is for Aeroplan members, $199 for everyone else.

I have not used these, but there are a few threads on here of people who have. Seems to be a short call and then results 15-60 minutes later. $149 is for Aeroplan members, $199 for everyone else.

I believe it's two tests in the purchase? so it's $149 for two tests... someone mentioned that in the first thread but I haven't bought them so can't confirm personally.

I believe it's two tests in the purchase? so it's $149 for two tests... someone mentioned that in the first thread but I haven't bought them so can't confirm personally.

It is two tests for the antigen ones but only one test for the molecular LAMP test.

While I'd love that too, I doubt they will announce dates around the subsequent steps.

Reason being is I doubt they even have firm dates for them. My guess is that it will be tied to some criteria (like vax rates, or case rates staying below a specific number for some period of time) which I also guess they won't tell us specifically what the criteria is. They don't want to be tied to a specific goal that they might not be able to keep and end up looking bad.

I hope I'm wrong though becasue it would be a nice change of transparency that has been lacking in all of this.

While I'd love that too, I doubt they will announce dates around the subsequent steps.

Reason being is I doubt they even have firm dates for them. My guess is that it will be tied to some criteria (like vax rates, or case rates staying below a specific number for some period of time) which I also guess they won't tell us specifically what the criteria is. They don't want to be tied to a specific goal that they might not be able to keep and end up looking bad.

I hope I'm wrong though becasue it would be a nice change of transparency that has been lacking in all of this.
I'm fine with this scenario as well. Just SOMETHING that isn't "wait another 30 days and see."

Honestly, I don't know. Since the government says a negative PCR test is required to enter Canada, I honestly don't know what they would do if you arrived at the border and your test was positive.

You would still be allowed in but you would be asked your quarantine plan and advised to go directly to your quarantine destination without stopping. If for some reason they discovered you did not follow instructions and were caught you would receive a fine.

You would still be allowed in but you would be asked your quarantine plan and advised to go directly to your quarantine destination without stopping. If for some reason they discovered you did not follow instructions and were caught you would receive a fine.

The Arrivecan site asks you for your quarantine plan. When you arrive at the border they supposedly ask you for your arrivecan receipt (which has your vaccination pdfs uploaded) and your test results. The Arrivecan site doesn't ask you to upload testing results, it just asks if you had them done and then proceeds to ask questions all about your quarantine plan.

We are in the US right now and will be arriving home on Saturday by land. We did our testing today and I just filled out the Arrivecan ap. I thought I would have to upload my (negative) testing results but I only had to upload my proof of vaccination results. I just had to attest that I had the tests done and that they were negative. Then there were many questions about quarantine. At the end it tells you that you will need to show the arrivecan receipt as well as your test results and possibly your vaccination proof when you cross the border.

Last edited:
The Arrivecan site asks you for your quarantine plan. When you arrive at the border they supposedly ask you for your arrivecan receipt (which has your vaccination pdfs uploaded) and your test results. The Arrivecan site doesn't ask for your testing results, it just asks if you had them done and then proceeds to ask questions all about your quarantine plan.

We are in the US right now and will be arriving home on Saturday by land. We did our testing today and I just filled out the Arrivecan ap. I thought I would have to upload my (negative) testing results but I only had to upload my proof of vaccination results. I just had to attest that I had the tests done. Then there were many questions about quarantine. At the end it tells you that you will need to show the arrivecan receipt as well as your test results and possibly your vaccination proof when you cross the border.
Thanks! This is very helpful! Thank you for sharing the details I wasn't sure about!

Thanks! This is very helpful! Thank you for sharing the details I wasn't sure about!

Sorry, I was a bit incorrect. I did the arrivecan again because I couldn't recall all the details. You can do it as many times as you like. The ap does ask that you tested negative but doesn't ask you to upload your results. ( I altered my post a bit to clarify)

Sorry, I was a bit incorrect. I did the arrivecan again because I couldn't recall all the details. You can do it as many times as you like. The ap does ask that you tested negative but doesn't ask you to upload your results. ( I altered my post a bit to clarify)

Please let us know your experience at the border 😊

I’m desperate to get back to Disney! Thinking of taking a short three day trip! I will make sure that I get tested when I return. This has given me some hope ♥

You will still need a negative test to board the plane home. Unless you drive to an American city and fly from there.

Not much of an update/timeline in the announcement today. We already knew about the new 72hour rules - the only other thing they said was that as of Jan 15, certain groups who had been exempt from the requirement to be fully vaccinated, will no longer be exempt. Example: Parents travelling to reunite with minor children, and essential workers (including truck drivers).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter