Cancelling DVC Reservation due to Hurricane

It was difficult with the renter’s points expiring so I know that made it more complicated. It looks like they’re going to offer me a full credit I can use in the future so kudos to them. I think that’s probably right thing to do. No one is really wrong in this situation. I think if dvc gave an extension on using expiring points it could clear up the headache in this situation,
That’s great!

Some of the reports I read is that they were not allowing new reservations so they could help people who were there best they could.

I think they is what I was referring to when I said they can keep the rooms.

I thought the canceling being done was only for that one day, not the whole trip, because of the shelter in place.

I am sure they will find a way to keep everyone safe!
At one point yesterday guests who were there were reporting they were being told nothing that could be done and they would need to leave - during the storm. :( When the Swan/Dolphin are taking people in but Disney isn't then there's something odd happening. Today that all seems to have changed back to what Disney has always done in the past - they are finding places. That includes guests who yesterday were told they would need to leave. With no flights arriving you know they had to have quite a lot of rooms to accommodate as they always have in the past in similar situations. It's like they lost the hurricane handbook for a day or two and were winging it.

So of course this is the first time I rent my points and the renters were supposed to check in tomorrow. They of course are not traveling and are cancelling their reservation. The phone number on the first page of the thread is closed, should I just cancel the reservation on my dvc dashboard or just do nothing and figure out the mess later on the phone?

So of course this is the first time I rent my points and the renters were supposed to check in tomorrow. They of course are not traveling and are cancelling their reservation. The phone number on the first page of the thread is closed, should I just cancel the reservation on my dvc dashboard or just do nothing and figure out the mess later on the phone?
I would cancel on the website and call MS Friday or next week to straighten things out. Canceling on the website establishes it as a cancellation, for whatever that may be worth.

Sorry your first rental ended so poorly!

I would cancel on the website and call MS Friday or next week to straighten things out. Canceling on the website establishes it as a cancellation, for whatever that may be worth.

Sorry your first rental ended so poorly!
Thanks - total first world problems I know. I hope everyone stays safe during and after the storm!

It was difficult with the renter’s points expiring so I know that made it more complicated. It looks like they’re going to offer me a full credit I can use in the future so kudos to them. I think that’s probably right thing to do. No one is really wrong in this situation. I think if dvc gave an extension on using expiring points it could clear up the headache in this situation,
I called MS yesterday at 9 and they told me they "havent made any decisions" on what to do with the check in date of 9-29. Our points are banked and expiring on 9-30. We have 2 nights booked (9-29 to 10-01. Has anything changed?

We live in Tampa and just got back from our evacuation. We are SO lucky that we were spared and still have power. Please think of all those in SW FL that have nothing left. I feel silly for even asking this question given the situation so please know I do not mean any disrespect to any. Could have very easily been my family so I am beyond sympathetic. We have a Vero reservation beginning tomorrow 9/30 for weekend that we will cancel (their cancellation hurricane policy covers us as we we were in a hurricane warning area). My issue is that our banking day is tomorrow 9/30 also so I want to ensure I can bank these points from the cancelled reservation and no go into holding. Fyi, still flooding in Orlando area so many friends who evacuated there are staying until tomorrow so curious if Member Services will be open tomorrow. Should I cancel online today to show the cancellation one day in advance or do you think they will honor that and bank the points even after my banking date? Thanks to any that has insight and please keep those in SW FL in your thoughts.

We live in Tampa and just got back from our evacuation. We are SO lucky that we were spared and still have power. Please think of all those in SW FL that have nothing left. I feel silly for even asking this question given the situation so please know I do not mean any disrespect to any. Could have very easily been my family so I am beyond sympathetic. We have a Vero reservation beginning tomorrow 9/30 for weekend that we will cancel (their cancellation hurricane policy covers us as we we were in a hurricane warning area). My issue is that our banking day is tomorrow 9/30 also so I want to ensure I can bank these points from the cancelled reservation and no go into holding. Fyi, still flooding in Orlando area so many friends who evacuated there are staying until tomorrow so curious if Member Services will be open tomorrow. Should I cancel online today to show the cancellation one day in advance or do you think they will honor that and bank the points even after my banking date? Thanks to any that has insight and please keep those in SW FL in your thoughts.
I’m glad to hear you and yours are in good shape!

I think I would cancel today via the website, then call MS over the weekend or on Monday to sort out the points issues. That way the VB CMs know for sure you’re not going to check in, and it establishes the date of cancellation.

Reactions: ngl
I’m glad to hear you and yours are in good shape!

I think I would cancel today via the website, then call MS over the weekend or on Monday to sort out the points issues. That way the VB CMs know for sure you’re not going to check in, and it establishes the date of cancellation.
Thank you very much. Thanks for the advice. I did cancel online yesterday and through DVC chat they were able to move the points from holding to regular so I could bank today. Much appreciate the advice because I do believe it made it easier for them to just do the one step from holding to regular. Wishing all those affected by the hurricane the best during this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter