car accident last night

hollybearsmom

Please send my fairy godmother home, pronto!
Hi, please keep my family in your thoughts/prayers today. My sister in law was driving from NC to Myrtle Beach with her two children last night when her truck left the roadway and struck a tree. The emergency workers called it a "terrific accident". She was knocked out for close to an hour and is in shock, she has a bruised hip and cracked a rib. Various stiff neck and other cuts from glass but will be ok and likely released from the hospital today. My 2 ys old niece had cuts and bruises but was given an ok bill of health and released. My 4 yr old nephew took the worst of it. He has had surgery for glass in his eyes and two fractures in his leg. He has swelling on his face and two large gashes near the eyebrow and chin. He has over 100 cuts on his neck and arms from the glass shards. He is unsure of where he is or what happened, but he does recognize his family. He was unconcious for a brief period of time last night. I am waiting for an update now but would appreciate all the prayer/support you will offer. The authorities told my brother is was a miracle indeed when they cut open the car to pull out three survivors and not three victims. Thank you in advance for thinking of us, even if you do not respond here, we will appreciate the silent words offered up. Beth

First, I am thanking God they are all survivors..I will add so many prayers for this family, and for you also..:grouphug:

God bless, please keep us updated...

Thank you, my niece is up, eating, bruised, but asking for more popsicles. My nephew is awake, and just not happy. My sis in law thinks she was in a fight. She is just not totally alert to the situation yet. We are hoping they will transfer my nephew down for care closer to home tonight or tomorrow morning. thank you again, Beth

My nephew was driven around the hall in a wagon to the toy room against his wishes. He does not want to be touched or moved, it all hurts. His mom is resting with him in the room now. Both of them have a lot of swelling and bruising. My neice and her dad are on their way to see the car and to get anything out of it that is still intact. It is a total loss. I can't imagine what that will be like for them. We do not know when any of them are coming home. They don't want to leave without him, but there is nothing for my neice to do, and hotels are not inexpensive. One of them can stay in the room with him, the other one and neice cannot. Keep praying for healing and comfort. And a very safe trip home. thank you all, Beth

what a scary nightmare! your family is in my thoughts!

Wow.. when I first started reading, I thought oh no... but then I felt thank God, they are going to make it through. Prayers being said for them..

Thank God they are survivors!!! They will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much for your encouragement & support!
My nephew finally ate last night. :banana: They have talked about transfering him today.:banana: My neice and sis in law are ready to come home either way. They may come some we can get the house tidied and some groceries set in for them, or the may spend another night in NC just to be close to each other. And we can't blame them. PT has gotten no better for my nephew as he says he just can't walk anymore. There is no medical reason for this, so it is a fear factor for him. They are all greatly concerned also about getting him in a vehicle. He went into a panic when the car seat was brought in. Keep sending hugs their way as they work that out today.
They were able to get a few things out of the truck that were in the box in the back. I believe the group Safe Harbour provided a new car seat to them. The hospital made an exception for the one night so that my neice could stay in the room with them. And many of our friends have sent cards to the house for the kids. Thank you all for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Beth

Wow, what a scary accident. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers, especially the little guy.

Thanks again for the notes and prayers.
They are home. My neice has a cut on her head near the soft spot which we are trying to keep her fingers out of. Her elbow looks good, although the bruising has gotten rather large. My sister in law, my goodness, where to begin. Each day she has more bruising showing up. Honestly, I cannot place my hand on any part of her that does not touch a cut or bruise, other than the back of her left leg. Her face was battered by both the shattered window and the air bag. The rest of her by the dash shifting back, the seatbelt, etc. My nephew. The poor little guy. He is afraid of everything. Dont' touch me, please leave me alone! Please, take this off my leg! He will not work with PT to stand. He will not eat. He fights his medicines terribly. It is heartbreaking. My brother will cry sometimes, and hug them. and sometimes he just walks outside and punches the back wall. There are some photos of the car that look like those vehicles they park in front of the hs for don't drink and drive week. So far, my brother is holding onto them. He doesn't want to post it for a freak show thing. I have to respect that.

Thanks again for the notes and prayers.
They are home. My neice has a cut on her head near the soft spot which we are trying to keep her fingers out of. Her elbow looks good, although the bruising has gotten rather large. My sister in law, my goodness, where to begin. Each day she has more bruising showing up. Honestly, I cannot place my hand on any part of her that does not touch a cut or bruise, other than the back of her left leg. Her face was battered by both the shattered window and the air bag. The rest of her by the dash shifting back, the seatbelt, etc. My nephew. The poor little guy. He is afraid of everything. Dont' touch me, please leave me alone! Please, take this off my leg! He will not work with PT to stand. He will not eat. He fights his medicines terribly. It is heartbreaking. My brother will cry sometimes, and hug them. and sometimes he just walks outside and punches the back wall. There are some photos of the car that look like those vehicles they park in front of the hs for don't drink and drive week. So far, my brother is holding onto them. He doesn't want to post it for a freak show thing. I have to respect that.

Gosh..What a rough ride they are all having....Hoping that the time for full recovery will come quickly enough for the whole family..

God bless:grouphug:

Oh my gosh, hope things start to turn around.

Will keep them all in my prayers.
:hug:

Time flies...my neice has more bruising now on her hands, and we aren't sure how. My sis in law is still dizzy and having headaches from the concussion, and those ribs are just killing her. But she is getting around a lot better. My nephew still won't try to stand, still hates his medicaine, but is eating several small snackish meals a day. That with chocolate milk and vitamins is enough according to the doc, so we will keep it up. Actually tonight is the first night I will go sleep at my house. woohoo. My brother isn't working tonight and with her able to move around some, he said they could handle it. We truly appreciate all the hugs and prayers. It has been a rocky week with insurance and hospital bills and trying to find a new vehicle etc. All that stuff afterwards really cuts into the euphoria of just being alive and together.

Glad to hear that everyone is ok and slowly on the mend. Hoping your nephew comes around soon! Take care and you'll be in my prayers....

The PT my nephew has is just awesome. He brought a photo album of past clients (all kids) and a video of a kid he is working with on a walker. My nephew actually pulled himself up to a standing position, with the help of the coffee table, and then sat himself in his wagon and pushed with his good foot to move around a little. Then he sort of realized what he had done and started crying, but it was a great hurdle. He did not want to work with the walker today, but my brother just help him up under the arms and the pt, Brian, showed him how to use it to slide his "straight" leg and then hop onto his "jumpy" leg. They went around the room about three times like that. Maybe he will try it for himself later. He is eating normally again, though still not sleeping well.
My sil is working light duty half-shifts for a while. Her boss is not patient, but is working with her for now. Her ribs continue to be a pain, and she gets dizzy from time to time, but it is getting better.
My neice is just fine, if not a little jealous. She will say, I'm sick or I have to go to the hospital, when she doesn't want to do things or if she doesn't get her way. And if she falls or trips it's always, oh gosh I just broke my leg. But she is really a trooper all in all.
My brother is working hard and really trying to keep up with them all and their doctors appts. Remember he works midnights, so sleep is not coming easily or often.
And I just take my kids and go up there when ever they call, sometimes we stay ten or twelve hours at a time. Sometimes we just stay with whichever child does not see the doctor that day. Sometimes I cook and sometimes I just load the dishwasher. I would want them to help me out in this situation so I just try to be there for whatever I can do.
Thanks from all of us for your thoughts and prayers.

Sounds like it is difficult, but surely in time it will be easier..

BLESS you for being just a good aunt, SIL, sister.:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter