Car Rental Costs for May of 2003!!

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Anyone else having this 'problem', or know the reasoning for this?

I was just plugging in our dates for May of next year with Dollar, and for a 10 day rental, was quoted $542.29 (taxes incl.), for an intermediate!

I'm hoping this is just because our trip is far off, and they just don't quote 'real' rates until closer to May.

We chose mid May to (hopefully) squeeze our trip between Easter/springbreak and Memorial Day, to avoid the crowds and to secure a reasonable car rental rate.

Anyway, anyone think the prices will come down to Earth, or this is what we'll be looking at?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks...

i have a ressie for may 3rd thru the 10th for 254.00 for the wk, for an intermediate thru emerald aisle.
but i keep checking and they have gone way up.
i made mine a few months ago.
glad i did!
good luck,
lisa

I have found the prices have been outrageous! In June 2001, we paid $324 for a full size car for 15 days! Last year, I could not find anything below $450 for the same time period and same car.

I have reserved through Dollar with the KISS code June 1-13 full size for $500.00 incl. taxes. That is the best I could do. National is terrible even with DC codes.

We have three families travelling together (11 people) and we are looking at Budget (Entertainment code for 20% off) for a 15 passenger van. It totals out for $446/family for the van for the same time period.

The Entertainment book has good coupons for different companies. Good luck!

FYI it seems that National is going to focus its business on business travelers and its sister company Alamo is now the official car rental company of Disney World.

That being said, I don't know why Dollar is so outrageous but keep checking back. I have had a ressie since April for my December trip and it's just now coming down.

Ditto here!! I keep checking for July of 2003, and the rates are ridiculous!! More than double what we paid last year, and using codes too for that matter! I don't even know if I can expect the rates to really go down either!:rolleyes:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi Mark,

I just tried the KISS code at dollar.com for a full size car for 10 days mid May and the price came up with tax, $399.11 for a full size Dodge Intrepid ( the code is for anyone to use). The intermediate was $358.38 with tax. Try using a promo code and make sure to check mousesavers.com for more Dollar codes. I got a great rate at Avis for a week in May 2003 on a luxury car. Good Luck!

RobinLyn:D

Rental Information ( THIS IS W/O ANY COUPONS OR CODES)

5 x 3 x

Car Class: Full Size 2/4 Door Car Auto A/C

Pick-up Location:
Orlando Intl Arpt
Pick-up Time: 03-MAY-2003 01:30 PM

Return Location:
Orlando Intl Arpt
Return Time: 10-MAY-2003 09:00 AM

Rates - Time & Distance USD
Time & Distance 1 Week @ 301.99 301.99
Extra - Time & Distance 0 Day @ 50.33 0.00
Extra - Time & Distance 0 Hour @ 25.17 0.00
Unlimited Distance-time & Distance 0 Distance @ 0.00 0.00

Base Rate _____

Add Surcharges & Taxes: (subject to change)
Concession Fee Recov Chrg 9.8 Pct 29.60
Fl Schrg/tire&bat Fee 2.05 Usd/dy 14.35
Fla License Fee .43 Usd/day 3.01
State Tax (6.0%) 20.94

Total Estimate _____

Rules & Conditions

We're going the first week of May and the best deal I've found is through Hertz with a AAA discount.. about 195 for an intermediate for a week. Hopefully rates will come down -- I checked my records from last year and the price this year is signficantly higher.

Thanks for the input:)

I tried again today, and using KISS code, I was able to get a quote of $284 (taxes incl.) for a compact.
After 'playing' with our flight times, I was able to knock a day off the rental(making it a total of 9 days). Otherwise, we'd be looking at around $315(tax incl.) I think I'll go ahead and lock in the $284 compact, and keep checking for a lower rate.

I'm thinking of going with Fastlane, in the hopes of getting an up grade coupons, thus getting us into a intermediate.

-Mark

It's alarming how much a car rental is!!

We went down in January '01 for 6 nights/7 days and got an SUV for $140! That was total with tax and everything. Yes, we used coupons and codes, too.

For our next trip for same type of car (but adding four more days) was over $500!! Yikes!

We are definitely sticking to using a towncar to pick us up and Disney Transportation. It's going to be tough since we are used to having a car at our disposal. :(

I had the same problem twice once in early June and again in late Sept , I did priceline and got way better deals and had no problems anytime i 've used them andi have used them for every trip now.
Mrsmom

Allstar sports Dec95'
Holiday Inn sunspree resort Oct 98'
Westgate lakes resort Sept 2000
Royal plaza Hotel Feb 2001
Wynham Palace and spa Sept 2001
Westgate lakes and P.O.R June 2002
Allstar Musci and Poly Sept 27-Oct 1 2002

Been There, Done That, GOING BACK!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We've found that when it comes right down to travel time, Dollar always has the best rate of any on-site company. We do prefer the economy cars, so maybe the larger cars don't compare as well with the competition. We booked an economy car last winter for a Nov. 2002 trip, 8 days for nearly $300. I checked the Dollar site every day, checked here for codes and came up with a rate of $99 per week, $150-something for the 8 days on the 'ENTERTAIN' code. Just lock in your best rate now, keep 'trading down' as you find better deals, making sure to cancel the old ressie as soon as the new is confirmed.

Bill From PA

We went President's week this year and rented an intermediate from Dollar for 8 days (no code) for $191.52 (taxes & all included). Next year we're going a week later (Feb. 21-Mar 1) and it would be $360.65!! I sure hope they come down. ~:(~

I have a compact booked through Avis for the same time in May and have it for $165.00 all taxes included.(124.99 base)We're on the Disney cruise so the car is going to sit for a few days but it was cheaper than 2 one way rentals. I used code D002807. An intermediate wasn't alot more.

I hope this helps someone....

National just extended their NHOL rates through 3/31/03. It's called "Freedom of Choice - Nationwide" (upper right side of their website). The weekly rates are: Full size $179 and SUV's - $229 (other classes are available).

We're going Presidents week, so I tried full size with my DC contract code (only got a 5% discount) and vacation outlets $15 off weekly rental code. The rate was right at $200 w/ taxes & fees. (I'm sorry I don't remember the exact price.) An intermediate with the D00.... code came out about the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter