Car rental question

Alex2kMommy

<font color=purple>I'm going a little nutso myself
The first DL trip I planned (which was canceled), I added shuttle service to our package. I later read on the DIS that it's cheaper to rent a car if you have 3/more people in your party, so I did not include the shuttle when I rebooked.

However, in looking at car rental prices, if I rented it for the entire 8 days of our stay, it will actually cost more than twice as much! I'm trying to figure the most cost effective way to do it.

We'll be at DL the whole time, so I was thinking of arranging for two shorter rentals, one at the beginning of our stay, and one at the end. This would give us the car for arrival and exit, as well as a few days for trips to the grocery store, Character Warehouse, whatever. This would probably mean we'd have to use the agency with an office in Anaheim; I know there was one, I'm just forgetting which one right now.

Does anybody have any suggestions about this? Is this the best way to do it?

Alamo has an office in DTD. However, I found recently, that its very expensive to rent a car at the airport and return it to another office. It added more then $100 on to the price! A 8 day rental is going to be more then the shuttle, no way around it. Its not to late to use the shuttle if you want to go that route. YOu actually can take Super shuttle with out prepaying for it or making a reservation. Or you could take a cab if you are flying into SNA or LGB, for a reasonable rate.

Oh, and watch the alamo.com "hot deals". They have great rates if you wait until right before your trip to book (with in 10 days or so). You might also want to check mousesavers.com for discount codes. Costco.com also has some discounts.

What we're doing is this:

Towncar/Limo/Coach from LAX to DLR (type depending on budgeted savings).

Four nights @ Grand Californian with a 5-day pass to the parks.

On the fifth day, checkout, check our baggage with the front desk, and spend one last half-day in the park.

After this, grab our baggage and pick up a rental car at DTD from Alamo.

We're getting the car for Wednesday-Saturday only as we have no use for one while at Disney.

The next three nights we're spending at the Universal Hilton while we do Universal Studios/See L.A.

We're returning the car @ LAX before our outbound flight.

Total cost for the 4 days and picking up at DTD/dropping off at LAX is ~$160.

It's actually a lot more expensive for us because I have to pay the underage driver fee of $25/day as I'm only 23.

Matt

Just to give you a comparision cost. I booked a car rental with Budget (check the costco website for best deals) for next March. We're picking up in LAX and returning to San Diego Airport for 11 days. Our fee taxes included was $291.15. There was no additional fee for dropping off at a different location.

With car rentals, you have to be persistent and keep checking back for rates. You can book it now, and then keep going back and cancel when you find a better deal. Check out mousesavers.com for the latest discount codes.

A little off subject, but something to know if you are renting a car. We found that by booking Alamo through the WDTC(if you're using them or a TA that does...costco/AAA too I think) you don't have to pay a drop fee if you choose to pick-up at one airport and drop off at another. For example, we are picking up at John Wayne and returning at SAN (San Diego). We priced it online seperate with different companiesand they all charged drop fees plus the total price was more too.

Hmmm... So what if I got a car rental maybe at the beginning of our trip for just a few days, maybe even just a 1-day, then took a cab for the return to SNA? (Can we all fit in a cab with 2 adults, DS6 in a booster and DS2 in a full carseat?)

Now that I've gotten used to the idea of the rental car, I'm reluctant to give it up completely, since it means we can hit the grocery store and the outlet store... :teeth:

And taking a cab for the return would mean a quicker trip to the airport...

I can see I'll have to think some more about this, just trying to come up with a good plan. If you have any more suggestions, please offer them!

amw said:
There was no additional fee for dropping off at a different location.

While they may not have said there was a fee, I'm guessing there would have been a price difference. To test it I went to alamo and put in pick and drop off at LAX- ecom. car, $116 Same dates pick up LAX drop off at San Deigo airport $157. So, roughly $40 to drop off at the other airport. Same test on Budget.com shows a $44 difference. Tested Alamo from SNA to DTD, the rate was right about double the rate to pick up and return at SNA. ($90 vs $180).

Alex2kMommy said:
then took a cab for the return to SNA? (Can we all fit in a cab with 2 adults, DS6 in a booster and DS2 in a full carseat?)
Yes, you would all fit. When you call for the cab to pick you up, let them know you need a bigger car.

OK, I just ran two Alamo rental scenarios:

8 day rental (Midsize) with PU/DO @ SNA = $193.47
2-day rental (Midsize) with PU @ SNA, DO @ DTD = $174.58

YIKES! It would cost me more to have the car for 2 days and take the cab to the airport (I mean including the cabfare)! I guess I'll plan to have the car the whole time then, and just keep checking for good rates.

Thanks for the info, folks. It's been very helpful. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter