Car Seat for 18mo, not 2 1/2 yr old?

The VWL Five

Disney Nut
Help! We are leaving in 3 days and am totally confused about the whole car seat thing.

Does my 2 1/2 yr old need to be in a car seat if she is not 40 lbs? We didn't plan one for her but did for my 18 mo old.

Wha do you think?

The VWL Five!

My friend Sandy has taken the training to be a local "car seat safety inspector" in our state of Indiana. What I have learned from her is that we basically need to keep on using these seats... for a LONG time!

Sandy has learned that safety belts are made for ADULTS, at least 80 pounds and over. She also asserts that using a lap-belt only, or using a lap-belt and tucking the shoulder-belt behind the child, is as dangerous as using no restraint.

Every child needs a carseat/booster seat until EIGHTY pounds. I believe this is now even the law in some states.

Get a new booster seat that is rated up to 80 pounds. A Century Breverra is a good one. If your child is not yet 40 pounds you can select one that comes with special straps for smaller children. Once they hit 40 pounds (I think -- read the literature with the seat) they can use the booster with your vehicle's lap/shoulder belt. The nice booster seats have a little guide that properly positions the shoulder belt. This belt should cross the child over their shoulder, not their neck or chin. The seats also have a lap guide so the lap belt protects the child across the pelvis and doesn't ride up onto their tummies.

Sandy has explained to me that what these seats do is position the child properly inside the straps so that if there is any sudden impact, they contact the straps against strong bones, and not vulnerable organs. Many of the seats also have a headrest to protect against whiplash.

Sorry if I sound like an old nag here, but I know so many parents who say "no biggie after 40 pounds" and I know how devastated they would be in the event of a tragedy. Having a friend trained in this area has really taught me a lot!

Hope this helps!

Colleen

Yikes! Are you FLYING? So sorry I read you the car seat constitiution... I may have misunderstood!

Boy is my face red!

Not sure if you are referring to air travel or car so.....

Air:
No child is required to be in a CSR in an aircraft but you can use them if they are FAA approved. Mine has a sticker on the back of the seat indicating this. If you purchased a seat for your 18mo you can use a CSR. If he is a free or "lap rider" you can only use the CSR if there happens to be an empty seat available.

Car:
All states require the use of a CSR for children until they reach at least 4 or 40lb's, some states guildelines are higher. Both your children will need a CSR in an automobile. You can bring your own, use them in the aircraft or check them through as luggage, or rent them with your rental car.

HTH - if not please post more specifics!
TJ

Sorry, yes it is for Air travel this weekend. We have a seat for everyone, the 18 month old included. He has a car seat that is approved to use on the plane. I thought I read here that anyone under 40 lbs needs a car seat. Maybe they were mistaken.

We'll just take one on the plane and have one rented for the older child when we arrive (rental car).

Thanks.....Disney here we come!

Whether you are flying or not, Colleen has offered very valuable information!
I recently flew cross country w/ my 3yr old, she actually sat quite well in her carseat. My personal feeling is that it is worth the extra $ to buy your child their own ticket, and use the carseat. It is much, much safer. Of course, economics don't always allow this, but many airlines will offer a substantial discount on a childs ticket. (Last time I flew Delta my daughters ticket was 50% off)
Enjoy your trip!

When we flew to Disney last yr. my kids were 3yrs old and 18months. I didn't know at the time that I could have brought their car seats on the plane, so we checked them in with our luggage.
Had I known, I think I would have let them sit in the car seats on the plane. My kids were too skirmy for my liking.

Your kids will probably be more comfortable with their own familiar seats. Also, you would be saving money by not renting a car seat. You don't know what kind you'll get and the condition of it.
We learned this 2 yrs ago when we rented. We fought with my dd to sit in the rented seat and we had to wait until a car seat was even available.

I'm not sure how we would have handled the seats since we gate checked 2 strollers. Part of travelling with young kids.

Dragging everything is not going to be fun. We can only carry so much with 3 kids. We have 1 car seat, 2 strollers, 3 backpacks plus our 2 suitcases. We decided to rent 1 car seat and bring one, The 4 year old gets to ride without a seat. We bought her one of the attachments for the car seatbelt. Hope this all works out. 60 hours to go!

Originally posted by colleen costello

Every child needs a carseat/booster seat until EIGHTY pounds. I believe this is now even the law in some states.

Get a new booster seat that is rated up to 80 pounds. A Century Breverra is a good one. If your child is not yet 40 pounds you can select one that comes with special straps for smaller children. Once they hit 40 pounds (I think -- read the literature with the seat) they can use the booster with your vehicle's lap/shoulder belt. The nice booster seats have a little guide that properly positions the shoulder belt. This belt should cross the child over their shoulder, not their neck or chin. The seats also have a lap guide so the lap belt protects the child across the pelvis and doesn't ride up onto their tummies.

Hope this helps!

Colleen

YIKES!!!!!!!! 80 pounds. This may be nothing for people with big kids, but I remember very well I weighted 49 pounds in 5 grade. I was in HS before I weighed 80 pounds. (yes I am, or was a small person before having kids myself. :D ) My daugher is following in those footsteps and weighted 16 pounds at one year (same as me.) I just don't see me keeping her in car seat until she is 12 years old. :D Infact we had to turn her seat around before she well before she was 20 pounds (she is still 19) with permission from our Doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter