Cardiac Ablation

I went to the ER with a heart rate of 240, I had the shot of adenosine which brought me back to normal rythm. I had an ablation shortly after, it had to be repeated a year later, and it's been 5 years and no symptoms. I was a little tired after, bit fine otherwise.

SVT here, AVNRT. Sent to ER from urgent care with HR in the 250s. Thought I was having a panic attack, since that's what I was told in the past when I'd have these episodes. I hated metoprolol, as well. Made me feel awful! Diltiazem worked just as well and did not make me feel so bad. I did end up having an ablation a couple of months after that incident and haven't had any issues since with AVNRT. I do still have a higher heartrate and I tend to spike quickly with normal activities.

The mapping and ablation lasted about 4 hrs, and I was in recovery for about 6. Discharged around dinner. Personally, it took more than just a few days to get back to normal and I was a relatively healthy 43yo at the time. I'd say it took a few months before I felt completely healed because my heart was actually all over the place with PVCs and PACs for a few months after surgery. I was very tired after the surgery, and not sure if it was from the PVCs and PACs or the actual surgery. My electrophysiologist did remind me that even though I did not have a scar on the outside, I did indeed have a surgical procedure INSIDE my heart and the tiredness and weakness I was feeling was normal. My heart is in perfect condition otherwise. I had ALL the tests at that time to make sure it was electrical and not structural.

It was definitely worth it, but I did not bounce back as quickly as some of the people here seem to have. Prepare for more than a few days, IME.

I guess you could call my husband’s experience one of the ‘bad’ stories, which is why I’ve hesitated to post it.
He has SVT - Supra Ventricular Tachycardia - and has had 5 ablations - May, August & November 2018, April & September 2020. The SVT is caused by scar tissue and it’s located deep inside the heart so it’s very difficult to completely ablate.
During the last ablation his surgeon accidentally nicked an artery so a cardiac surgeon had to open his chest to repair it. It was very scary but he recovered completely and so far has had no episodes of SVT since.
His case is unusual and rare so don’t let it scare you. Most ablations go smoothly and are very successful.

I guess you could call my husband’s experience one of the ‘bad’ stories, which is why I’ve hesitated to post it.
He has SVT - Supra Ventricular Tachycardia - and has had 5 ablations - May, August & November 2018, April & September 2020. The SVT is caused by scar tissue and it’s located deep inside the heart so it’s very difficult to completely ablate.
During the last ablation his surgeon accidentally nicked an artery so a cardiac surgeon had to open his chest to repair it. It was very scary but he recovered completely and so far has had no episodes of SVT since.
His case is unusual and rare so don’t let it scare you. Most ablations go smoothly and are very successful.

Oh my! That does sound very scary! So glad he is doing much better! I have read the possible things that could go wrong during and after the procedure and that is one that really scared me when I read about it. Was your husband on blood thinner at the time? I’m glad they can do the ablation while my husband is on blood thinner because of the blood clot in his liver (which according to our internist is very large 😯. It extends down into his intestines a bit.) but at the same time it scares me about what would happen if they were to nick an artery. His doctor said that the reason they could do this while on blood thinner was because they were going in through veins instead of arteries and veins don’t bleed as much. So, if they nick an artery… that could be a very big issue on blood thinner???

Oh my! That does sound very scary! So glad he is doing much better! I have read the possible things that could go wrong during and after the procedure and that is one that really scared me when I read about it. Was your husband on blood thinner at the time? I’m glad they can do the ablation while my husband is on blood thinner because of the blood clot in his liver (which according to our internist is very large 😯. It extends down into his intestines a bit.) but at the same time it scares me about what would happen if they were to nick an artery. His doctor said that the reason they could do this while on blood thinner was because they were going in through veins instead of arteries and veins don’t bleed as much. So, if they nick an artery… that could be a very big issue on blood thinner???
Nicking an artery is always a big issue, whether on a blood thinner or not. And that can happen with many of these types of procedures, not just ablation. Which is why it’s good to do your research about them before going into it, and talking to the doctor who obtains your (informed) consent about the possibilities of what could go wrong (risks). Granted, the risks are low, but they are there.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...ons-and-repeat-procedures-after-cath-ablation

Have been in afib now for about 12 or so days. I will be going back to Northwestern next Wednesday for a cardioversion. And probably an ablation in the coming weeks or so.
Well, had the cardioversion last Wednesday. Put me into normal sinus rhythm right away. Lasted until Thursday afternoon. So back in afib. Waiting until tomorrow to find out where we go next. I am sure an ablation is in my future.

Thought of this thread yesterday. A neighbor had a stroke (57) and was airlifted to a better hospital and she went into AFib. She had more testing and she is having a cardiac ablation tomorrow. She’s been in AFib since November.

I started having PVCs a couple of years ago. My cardiologist wanted me to try a few lifestyle changes first before putting me on any medication. He had me cut out almost all caffeine (I was an all day tea drinker), add a magnesium supplement, lose some weight and try to control stress. The second Holter last year should a big reduction in the number of PVCs. I still feel them occasionally, mostly when I am stressed, but think my next upcoming Holter will show these are better still. The reduction in PVCs for me came pretty quickly and IMHO these lifestyle changes can't hurt so you might want to try them (unless your doctor says otherwise).

As for the Kardia Mobile, it's something I started to look into but I think you have to subscribe in order to see the PVCs. Without it I believe you only see Afib, bradycardia and tachycardia issues.

I have no helpful insight, but I wanted to say that I hope your DH feels better soon :wizard:

As for the Kardia Mobile, it's something I started to look into but I think you have to subscribe in order to see the PVCs. Without it I believe you only see Afib, bradycardia and tachycardia issues.
All 3 will analyze these first six conditions, no subscription....

• Detect 6 of the most common arrhythmias: Every EKG you take will be analyzed for AFib, bradycardia, tachycardia, PVCs, sinus rhythm with wide QRS, and sinus rhythm with SVE. This feature is exclusive to KardiaCare.
The 7th one, SVE, apparently requires requires subscription. The brand new credit card Kardia comes with Kardia Care with the purchase price and requires a subscription to it after the 1st year in order to work. I'll be paying for that next year, so worth it.

When I went for my cardioversion last week, I was telling them and showing them the new credit card one and they had not heard of that one yet. They were amazed. They all were saying how good the previous two devices have been in keeping patients on track and helping keeping the medical people informed. Like when Marie and I were leaving the hospital, we stopped on the ground floor and a Panera. I took an EKG at the table and sent it to my Advanced Practice Nurse, Electrophysiology upstairs and told her how good I felt in normal sinus. Then the next day, when I felt a 'little off', took my EKG again and saw I was back in afib again. I sent that to her and she knew in real time what was going on without me having to go somewhere (hopefully not where she is, Downtown). It's an amazing device and so low cost.

https://store.kardia.com/products/kardiamobile

All 3 will analyze these first six conditions, no subscription....

• Detect 6 of the most common arrhythmias: Every EKG you take will be analyzed for AFib, bradycardia, tachycardia, PVCs, sinus rhythm with wide QRS, and sinus rhythm with SVE. This feature is exclusive to KardiaCare.
The 7th one, SVE, apparently requires requires subscription. The brand new credit card Kardia comes with Kardia Care with the purchase price and requires a subscription to it after the 1st year in order to work. I'll be paying for that next year, so worth it.

When I went for my cardioversion last week, I was telling them and showing them the new credit card one and they had not heard of that one yet. They were amazed. They all were saying how good the previous two devices have been in keeping patients on track and helping keeping the medical people informed. Like when Marie and I were leaving the hospital, we stopped on the ground floor and a Panera. I took an EKG at the table and sent it to my Advanced Practice Nurse, Electrophysiology upstairs and told her how good I felt in normal sinus. Then the next day, when I felt a 'little off', took my EKG again and saw I was back in afib again. I sent that to her and she knew in real time what was going on without me having to go somewhere (hopefully not where she is, Downtown). It's an amazing device and so low cost.

https://store.kardia.com/products/kardiamobile
KardiaCare Advanced Determination is the paid subscription plan ($9.99 mo or $99 yr) that goes along with the device. Perhaps it varies based on which device you get but it looks like the PVCs is only with KardiaCare and if so I'd have to subscribe after the initial period if I wanted that tracked.

Advanced Determinations
With this KardiaCare feature, you can detect a wider range of arrhythmias right at your fingertips. Along with our current determinations—AFib, Bradycardia, Tachycardia, and Normal Sinus Rhythm—Advanced Determinations can detect three additional arrhythmias:

• Sinus Rhythm with Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs)
  • Sinus Rhythm with Supraventricular Ectopy (SVE)
  • Sinus Rhythm with Wide QRS

KardiaCare Advanced Determination is the paid subscription plan ($9.99 mo or $99 yr) that goes along with the device. Perhaps it varies based on which device you get but it looks like the PVCs is only with KardiaCare and if so I'd have to subscribe after the initial period if I wanted that tracked.

Advanced Determinations
With this KardiaCare feature, you can detect a wider range of arrhythmias right at your fingertips. Along with our current determinations—AFib, Bradycardia, Tachycardia, and Normal Sinus Rhythm—Advanced Determinations can detect three additional arrhythmias:

• Sinus Rhythm with Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs)
  • Sinus Rhythm with Supraventricular Ectopy (SVE)
  • Sinus Rhythm with Wide QRS
If you are interested in the devices, I would call to clarify. I have had 4 of various rhythms over the past couple years, have never had the member program. I do have it now since it is required to make the credit care device operate. They're looking at a revenue stream like everybody. Thankfully, when I renew 11 1/2 months from now, it will be inexpensive for the value received.

It looks like the original single lead device still has membership optional. In any case, it's cheap.

I can see my PVC's on my Kardia but only because I know what they look like. It doesnt' address them or label them, just says normal

I’ve had Afib 3 times since 2018, last time needed cardioversion. Was told each time my potassium was very low, so now I try specifically to include foods with both potassium and magnesium daily, hope it helps. Prayers to all.

Well, had the cardioversion last Wednesday. Put me into normal sinus rhythm right away. Lasted until Thursday afternoon. So back in afib. Waiting until tomorrow to find out where we go next. I am sure an ablation is in my future.
Updating here......

I did have a cardio ablation, about 4 1/2 hours worth plus an overnight afterwards. I did go normal sinus. Normal from 4/20 to 4/29. I then went afib again. Talked to the medical folks in electrophysiology at Northwestern Hospital. They said that can happen in the first 90 days or so, post op. They said if it goes in and out, just observe. If it sticks afib, best to do cardioversion again, not letting it stay in afib all that long. So, I will probably be doing another cardioversion sometime maybe in the next week or two.

I do want to say how great it is having my Kardia devices. When I first felt palpitations last Friday, taking an ekg and seeing I was afib again rather than wondering was i or was I not. And then sending off a couple ekg's to the electrical dept. at the hospital and getting a good, knowledgeable reply back from them. Great devices. They love them there.

spelling

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter