Caring for an autistic child

Alyssa88

<font color=green>I love it! Bad football team, go
Hello everyone,
I have not posted on this board before but I have a few questions. On Monday I will be starting this really great job. I will be picking up a ten year old autistic boy from his home and he and I will be hanging out with a group of disabled individuals and their personal day camp care takers. I have worked with autistic children before in a hospital and laboratory setting (I was an intern at a cognitive- developmental research lab where we mostly studied language) but, this will be my first time driving and taking an individual out into the community. I have never been responsible for caring for a child for such a long time. I am nervous as to whether or not I am ready for this. The drive will be pretty long and I am not sure of what to do if he starts throwing a tantrum while I am driving (I remember some children I worked with were very likely to throw tantrums), especially if I am on the highway. He will be in the backseat because of his age. This child is verbal and seems to be pretty high functioning (from his case sheet) plus when I am out with the group we are all supposed to help eachother. I am just a bit scared of when I am alone and on the road. Does anyone have any advice as to how I may calm him down if this should occur?

Also, I understand the symptoms of autism pretty well, and I know not to take them personally (the emotional distance, etc.), but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to better relate to the child? I plan to speak with his main care taker to get more information, but I just wanted to know how you guys felt.

Even if it doesn't seem that way, I am very excited to have this job. It sounds like we get to hang out with a great group of people while enjoying some very fun activities (swimming, movies, bowling, BounceU, and other field trips). I think this is going to be a great summer, and I just want to make sure it is going to be great for him as well. Thanks!!

Congratulations on your new job!

It's difficult to give general advice without knowing the child; autistic children have a wide and variable spectrum of behaviors and sensory issues (as I'm sure you have discovered!)

As a mother of an autistic child, I would advise you to consult with his parents...they will have had years of trial-and-error experience with what works for their son and what doesn't.

It's not unusual when a new therapist begins working with my son at his school to receive a phone call from him/her ahead of time so we can communicate directly before service begins. I would suggest that, unless there is a policy at work that does not allow it, that you make contact with the parents before Monday, introduce yourself, and ask them if there is anything particular that they want you to know about working with their child.

I am sure they would appreciate your honest caring and concern; I know that I would.

Good Luck!

Kathy

When we have a big drive, I will pack something to do in the car. In our case, it's books. See if he has something you can take along for the drive like a book or electronic game. In a pinch, get a map of where you're going and mark the route with a highlighter and let him give you directions. ;) Count the mile markers.

Hmmm. I have only had Justin tantrum once in the car like that, and I just pulled over and dealt with it. The parent training I went to (and of course that would be "theory" vs "reality") they told us to make sure the kid couldn't hurt themselves, and then just ignore the behavior, and try to distract them. Put him on the passenger side so he doesn't kick your seat and so you can see him. If he starts tantruming to a point where you feel it's unsafe to drive, pull over and just tell him-- I can't drive when you're doing that, and camp is going to be so much fun, but we'll just have to sit here until you're ready. And then sit there but don't watch him, find some busyness in the car to do.

Thanks to both of you for the tips! Those are great ideas, I am going to have to print out some maps for him.

I did call his home care taker yesterday, but had to leave a message. I still haven't heard back.

I don't know the severity of this childs autism, I can only tell you from my experience with my step son(19). My step son does not like change and I think that is the norm for most autistics. So it might be a good idea to meet him frist b/c just going off without associating with you before hand, may cause an issue. Also I agree with putting him on the passenger seat side. My step son does kick when he goes into a fit. Also hand held video games helps too, if he is old enough to play video games. Picture books, my step son can not read, of something he likes. Autistics seem to all having something different the really like.. My step son also enjoys music, so find out in advance if he likes music and what kind that he likes and dislikes. If something comes on the radio that my step son does not like he can have a slight fit; especially if not changed right away. I usually play cds of his favorite music and now he knows exactly where to go in my truck for what he likes most and automatically puts it in when we get in the truck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter