• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2019 environmental score:
Disney = A-
Carnival = F
Not sure how scientific these rating are, but there are videos of Carnival employees dumping full plastic bags of trash into the ocean. Plus millions in fines for Carnival's environmental crimes. I'll stick with Disney.

When it comes to Carnival: Yes, there is room for lots of improvement. It’s definitely a work in progress. They made a few interesting changes recently, I’m hopeful their 2020 environmental score will be much better.

When it comes to DCL vs CCL score: it’s easier to control 4 ships than 27. Doesn’t mean CCL shouldn’t make more of an effort in that area. I am hopeful that they will make more efforts to get in line with recommendations and will be up there when I sail with them again.

There are some cruise lines (other than DCL) with As in their environmental cards if the environmental scores are a priority. I’ve been experiencing other cruise lines than DCL and CCL since 2018... My husband and my wallet like them more than DCL. I have a soft spot for all of them.

Pretty sure most every cruise line could do a bit more to clean up their act. The following I found interesting >>>

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/MSC-Sustainability.aspx
DW and I have done 1 MSC Yacht Club on Seaside and for the price/value I think nothing could compare with that sailing. We have 2 more this year(???) and if they are cancelled we will most likely re-book.

I read that Carnival pulled May and June cruises off the website to keep capacity low. As they ease back in to full operations. When I have the time I’ll look for where I saw that on cc.

Just released: All North America Carnival sailings are cancelled through June 26, 2020. Also, all Carnival Sunrise sailings out of NY are cancelled through the end of the year.

I imagine other cruise lines will follow suit as it seems to be the trend.

Was just coming on to post the same thing... sad no cruises on Carnival until at least June 27. At home I am wishing my employer and my son's school would just make the same announcement, dragging things out is kind of annoying. I am glad Carnival is following the recommendations. Sad about the Sunrise cruises though, I had been looking at those (before everything fell to pieces). I am still crossing my fingers I'll be able to cruise in December, but if not I am looking at some for December 2021 instead, which I may go on in addition to 2020 if they all happen. At least I can be looking at cruises, helps pass the time :)

Over the next few days, they'll be telling us how they plan on reopening the country. Hopefully, the cruise lines have come up with a plan that will satisfy the CDC so they will lift the restrictions earlier.

Over the weekend we never had more than 4 patients in the ED at one time. I can't tell you how abnormal that is. We are normally packed with patients. We had six drive through testing tents, but we closed them all due to lack of interest. Over 3 weeks we only had 18 people drive through to get tested. The few patients that we've had die of COVID have been over 80 with multiple underlying conditions. I work for a large healthcare company and this is the norm across the state.

Over the last three weeks, we have averaged 10 to 20 patients on our Covid\ Rule out COVID floor, but only about half of them test positive. Most of the positives don't need to be in the hospital. Hospitals get Federal money for admitting COVID patients. I can't really blame them they are losing money by not doing elective surgeries.

I know this off-topic, but I feel like since I work in healthcare I have a duty to tell people whats going on. I belong to a few private nursing groups on Facebook and this is pretty much the norm across the country with the exception of New York. Even NYC is getting better.

I don't know where this all leading, but I hope this all behind us soon and we can return to normal. I'd love to be able to cruise and visit WDW this Summer. I'd also love to go out dinner. Curbside pick up kind of sucks.

Over the weekend we never had more than 4 patients in the ED at one time. I can't tell you how abnormal that is. We are normally packed with patients. We had six drive through testing tents, but we closed them all due to lack of interest. Over 3 weeks we only had 18 people drive through to get tested. The few patients that we've had die of COVID have been over 80 with multiple underlying conditions. I work for a large healthcare company and this is the norm across the state.

Over the last three weeks, we have averaged 10 to 20 patients on our Covid\ Rule out COVID floor, but only about half of them test positive. Most of the positives don't need to be in the hospital. Hospitals get Federal money for admitting COVID patients. I can't really blame them they are losing money by not doing elective surgeries.

I know this off-topic, but I feel like since I work in healthcare I have a duty to tell people whats going on. I belong to a few private nursing groups on Facebook and this is pretty much the norm across the country with the exception of New York. Even NYC is getting better.

I don't know where this all leading, but I hope this all behind us soon and we can return to normal. I'd love to be able to cruise and visit WDW this Summer. I'd also love to go out dinner. Curbside pick up kind of sucks.
Thanks for the info and as a restaurant owner, I can hardly wait to have my restaurant open again and welcome everyone.

I'm glad that's what it's like where you are, but that isn't the norm everywhere. I live in Ohio and it has been increasing A LOT just this past week. Of course it isn't as bad as NY because our population isn't as big as theirs. Our cases have been increasing by the hundreds every day and our death rate doubled in just one week. What is scary is we've been on complete lockdown for 5 weeks and it's still getting worse. Everyone I know has been staying home. It's still not as bad as it could have been without the lockdown, so for that I'm thankful. Maybe your state can send stuff to us, because we are going to run out quickly if it continues like this. My SIL is a pharmacist in MN at a hospital. They also don't have many cases, thankfully and said she will probably have her hours cut. My other SIL is a L&D nurse in Omaha. They also don't have a lot of cases, but are making the nurses work in all different areas in the hospital, I don't know the reason for that since they don't have a lot of cases. Hopefully this will be a better week here in Ohio. Hopefully it won't spread to anymore parts of the country where it's not bad. My dh still has to work with clients who fly in from all over the country and it scares me. He had a client from FL last week. I told him if he has anyone from NY, I don't want to know. I'm so ready for normal life. I kinda like ordering groceries online and just driving up to get them. I may keep doing it once life is normal.
Club Disney Chandler this must be really hard for you as a restaurant owner. I just found out a local cheese and wine shop in our town is selling toilet paper and they will even deliver it. Of course after I ordered the tp I had to get some cheese and several bottles of wine, lol!

Could it possibly be because the stay at home and social distancing orders are working? Personally, I'm glad your hospital and others across the country aren't swamped.

I'm glad that's what it's like where you are, but that isn't the norm everywhere. I live in Ohio and it has been increasing A LOT just this past week. Of course it isn't as bad as NY because our population isn't as big as theirs. Our cases have been increasing by the hundreds every day and our death rate doubled in just one week. What is scary is we've been on complete lockdown for 5 weeks and it's still getting worse. Everyone I know has been staying home. It's still not as bad as it could have been without the lockdown, so for that I'm thankful. Maybe your state can send stuff to us, because we are going to run out quickly if it continues like this. My SIL is a pharmacist in MN at a hospital. They also don't have many cases, thankfully and said she will probably have her hours cut. My other SIL is a L&D nurse in Omaha. They also don't have a lot of cases, but are making the nurses work in all different areas in the hospital, I don't know the reason for that since they don't have a lot of cases. Hopefully this will be a better week here in Ohio. Hopefully it won't spread to anymore parts of the country where it's not bad. My dh still has to work with clients who fly in from all over the country and it scares me. He had a client from FL last week. I told him if he has anyone from NY, I don't want to know. I'm so ready for normal life. I kinda like ordering groceries online and just driving up to get them. I may keep doing it once life is normal.
Club Disney Chandler this must be really hard for you as a restaurant owner. I just found out a local cheese and wine shop in our town is selling toilet paper and they will even deliver it. Of course after I ordered the tp I had to get some cheese and several bottles of wine, lol!
I would keep an eye on hospitalization rates, not cases. Cases will keep increasing as we test more, and 85% or more of those that test positive don't need hospital care. I wouldn't be alarmed by rising cases. The more testing the better. Maybe someday we will actually know what the real death rate is.

I'd say more, but I don't want to get off topic anymore.

I'm really enjoying the unpaid days off. It's made me realize I should take at least a short staycation every year. I usually don't take days off unless I'm getting on a plane to somewhere. That being said my August vacation can't come soon enough. I can't wait to get on a plane and actually go somewhere.

Could it possibly be because the stay at home and social distancing orders are working? Personally, I'm glad your hospital and others across the country aren't swamped.

We have taken the stay at home and social distancing orders very seriously. Apparently, my province is currently « peaking » (80% of the hospital beds going to COVID-19 patients are still available). Today, they have announced a slow reopening, starting by the end of the week. My FIL has also received a call saying they will start his cancer treatment very soon which is great news.

I’m hopeful that we will start welcoming cruise ships again in July and... I think my cruise with the girls in December might happen after all! :D

We have taken the stay at home and social distancing orders very seriously. Apparently, my province is currently « peaking » (80% of the hospital beds going to COVID-19 patients are still available). Today, they have announced a slow reopening, starting by the end of the week. My FIL has also received a call saying they will start his cancer treatment very soon which is great news.

I’m hopeful that we will start welcoming cruise ships again in July and... I think my cruise with the girls in December might happen after all! :D

What kind of plans are they taking to reopen?

It would be great if things could start to move in that direction, but in my area we are still a couple of weeks before peak. People do appear to be taking the orders to stay at home well, so we don't anticipate our hospitals to be overwhelmed, but they are still expecting our surge to come and are preparing for that.

That is very good news about your FIL's treatment. I wish him well.

We have a cruise in Europe in October, but since we are in the risk group, age-wise, we are thankful we have the advantage of waiting till July to decide. I will keep my fingers crossed for your December trip!!!

I put some business class seats on hold to LHR two days ago. I checked today and the business class seats to LHR out of Lax and DFW are pretty full the first week of August. Half the coach seats were gone. I guess airlines know what they are doing when they reduce capacity. I was happy to see I'm not the only one still planning on Europe in August.

I'm feeling more confident that my cruise will happen. If not were going to do a land trip to Germany\ Austria followed by a week at WDW, maybe Washington DC, or maybe a Caribbean cruise. I have three weeks off in August, and I'm going to keep all my options open.

Models say we'll peak in 2 weeks. Maybe that will take us from 50% capacity to 70%? We've not only flattened the curve we've sent it underground.

Mevelandry glad to hear about your FIL. I knew unnecessary surgeries were being cancelled, but am surprised cancer treatments would be cancelled, best of luck with his treatments. We still haven't peaked. Our governor won't say when things may open up. Different concerts and festivals for the end of June are being cancelled though. The head of the Health Dept said something last week that made it sound like she thinks it could be July when things get back to normal. For those with kids, how are you handling summer camps or activities? Normally I would have dd already registered for summer camps. I haven't done anything since we have no idea when things will be open. I thought about cancelling our next cruise and using the money to get a pool for our backyard, but most of the cruise fare has been paid with Disney gift cards, so can't really do that. Plus, we only have 2 or 3 months of warm enough weather for a pool.

My husband just showed me a CNBC interview with "experts" saying they do not believe for one second that people are rebooking their cancelled cruises with cruises in 2021 and that people will be that interested in cruising even once the crisis is over...

My answer was: *Bwahahahaha!!!*

Last edited:
What kind of plans are they taking to reopen?

It would be great if things could start to move in that direction, but in my area we are still a couple of weeks before peak. People do appear to be taking the orders to stay at home well, so we don't anticipate our hospitals to be overwhelmed, but they are still expecting our surge to come and are preparing for that.

That is very good news about your FIL's treatment. I wish him well.

We have a cruise in Europe in October, but since we are in the risk group, age-wise, we are thankful we have the advantage of waiting till July to decide. I will keep my fingers crossed for your December trip!!!

Reopening in the next days are mining companies, construction sites and everything related to gardening (for the summer season). Social distancing is still enforced and there will be severe restrictions but it's a start. I'm expecting to see things reopening the same way they shut down (restaurants permitted only at 50% capacity at first, etc.) ... It's encouraging.

I'm thinking they could start with cruiseships not operating at full capacity in the first weeks/months.

Still praying and hoping our December cruise will happen.

That being said, I'm happy we only booked a cruise with my in laws next year. Already told them to be prepared to have to present health certificates and possibly proof of vaccines if they want to cruise in the future. (They'll be over 70 yo.)

I know everything will be different but I'll comply with whatever rule they add if I have to. I'm also expecting a serious jump in costs for cleaning and housekeeping.

My husband just showed me a CNBC interview with "experts" saying they do not believe for one second that people are rebooking their cancelled cruises for 2021 and that people will be that interested in cruising even once the crisis is over...

My answer was: *Bwahahahaha!!!*

Our next cruise isn't until March 2021 and it can't come soon enough. After 5 weeks of being stuck in the house I'm about ready to book a cruise for just myself. I love my family, but today has been one of those days that I just need to get away from them!!!

Mevelandry glad to hear about your FIL. I knew unnecessary surgeries were being cancelled, but am surprised cancer treatments would be cancelled, best of luck with his treatments. We still haven't peaked. Our governor won't say when things may open up. Different concerts and festivals for the end of June are being cancelled though. The head of the Health Dept said something last week that made it sound like she thinks it could be July when things get back to normal. For those with kids, how are you handling summer camps or activities? Normally I would have dd already registered for summer camps. I haven't done anything since we have no idea when things will be open. I thought about cancelling our next cruise and using the money to get a pool for our backyard, but most of the cruise fare has been paid with Disney gift cards, so can't really do that. Plus, we only have 2 or 3 months of warm enough weather for a pool.

While cancer treatments weren't cancelled, they were definitely running late.

Most festivals from April to September are cancelled here. It will be a very quiet summer.

All my friends want to sell their kids. LOL

I'm sorry you can't get money back because of all the giftcards. I hope you'll get to experience your cruise instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter