Cash Machines

pegasusEH

Mouseketeer
Just wondered if anyone had been over and relied on drawing money out of cash machines rather than taking wads of cash and travellers cheques.

I know this works really well in Spain/the Canaries but have no idea how easy it is to locate a cash machine in Florida.

:p :p :p ;) ;) :p :p :p

There are ATM's everywhere in Orlando. A lot of hotels have them and you will find them in shopping malls etc.

You will be charged a fee for using them, so it may be best to withdraw a few large amounts rather than a lot of little amounts - although carrying a large amount of cash is not the safest thing today.

Travellers cheques are the safest option though. You can use them like cash everywhere and get your change in cash - and if they get stolen at least you can claim new ones - you can't do that if you have a load of cash stolen!

Another option is to pay your holiday money in your credit card account and then use your credit card like a debit card - as long as you have enough self control with all those bargains around :)

I used my delta card (visa) and all/most ATM's gave me the choice of Credit card transaction or cheque account transaction (or words to that effect).

The credit card trans. carried a cash advance fee the the other option didn't seem to. The exchange rate/commision fee seemed quite good for the second option.

I didn't take any notice if ATM providers vary in their charges.

Kevin.

I have relied solely on ATMs on the last three trips (97, 00 and 01) and will do again in October this year. I use my Switch card so that the money comes directly from my current account. I usually draw $200 each time and the charge is usually $2. The rate is usually competitive because you get something resembling the "bank rate" rather than the "tourist rate".

There are ATMs at the Disney parks, a "drive thru" at the Sun bank opposite DTD and one in all the supermarkets. I have never had a problem getting cash and wouldn't bother with TCs, personally. I always take around $100 dollars in cash when leaving the UK just for the first day, otherwise I rely on the plastic!

That's really useful information John. I've always been apprehensive to use my switch card in the States - never too sure whether these US ATMs would accept my (Natwest) switch card and the pin code that I normally use in the UK!!
I take it they will and the transaction process is similar to the UK one (accept the £2 fee & exchange rate issue)??? Please confirm.
I always had visions of these ATMs gobbling up my card (silly thought isn't it!) - and all the hassle of getting a new one when I got back to the UK.

We take a limited amount of cash to use on those occasions when it is not practical to use the credit card. eg tips, snacks, refrehment carts etc. Other than that its credit card all the way.

We use Nationwide CC abroad, as they do not make a charge for using it like others do. Have never taken cash out using CC though, so have not used ATMs.

I would recommend that you take a backup CC with you. Not in case you max the first one, (although that is always a possibility LOL), but in case you lose it and are stuck without anything. We usually leave one in the Hotel safe.

Plus don't forget the telephone numbers that you would need to ring in the event of loss.

Carol

Mowgli, yes the process is exactly the same as using your cash card in the UK, same PIN etc. If I remember correctly, the ATM asks you if you want to withdraw from your "checking" account, which is American for current account. That's the only thing I can think of that is different. The ATM tells you that there will be a charge and how much it is. So, if you withdraw $200, it gives you $200 but charges your account with $202, translated into GBP.

The only one thing that has ever gone slightly wrong was I tried to withdraw twice in the same day but the limit on the card only allowed me to withdraw a certain amount each day. What I mean is, you may have a limit of, say £250 per day in the UK and this applies to your card in the US also, so just watch out for that if you want to withdraw in significant amounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter