Cash travelers checks or credit card on the western

AnnMorin

<font color=babyblue>I HATE SNOW!!!<br><font color
Ok, how do you get the best deals with "the natives". i know in grand cayman it does not really matter as the cayman dollar is worth more than the USD and it is a pricey place. But what about in cozumel. When we were in St. Maarten I just put my jewlrey purchase on my mastercard but I read somewhere that in Mexico the love USD. So would I be better of bring cash? Are travelers checks revered as much as cash to them?

When we were in Cozumel in Sept. we found that several of the stores would not even take credit cards. One of these, can't remember the name, was even reccomended by the ship. Grand Cayman merchants didn't care. They were all high priced.
If we go to Cozumel again, I will take a couple of hundred in cash. We did do business with several jewelers who gave their best price without mentioning cash.

Point to consider. One thing that happened in Cozumel is that our bank turned off our credit card because we were using it. We do not normaly have many purchases of it and so when we used it they cut it off. Not a good feeling when you are trying to purchase a hammock and bottle of tequila. We had to go back to the ship and have them connect us with the toll free number to get it turned back on.

Have Fun, We Did,
Russ

when we charged over 1000.00 on a bracelet but my friend had hers turned off in germany last year. She suggessted I call the cc company before I leave and let them know I am going on a cruise. I guess I will-one more hassle.
I hate to carry cash- do you think the locals in cozumel take travelers checks? I supposse I could just bring them and cash them on the ship if they don't.

When we cruised the Western 2 years ago we used both credit card and travelers checks. You will find that some stores will 'negotiate' a little more when they get cash/travelers checks as the credit card fees must be high for them.

We usually do travelers checks. Are they acceptable in the ports? I would hate to carry around all that cash. At least with T.C's they are like cash, but can be replaced if lost/stolen.

I usually make a large jewlrey purchase on our trips as we go my birthday week DH just tells me pick out something I want, I would feel ok carrying around 1000.00 in travelers checks but not cash. My question is will they take them?

The stores that wanted cash were the ones that sold the hammocks, tequilla,marble carvings and other souviners. I would guess that their mark up is less thus they prefer cash.
All of the jewelry stores we visited never even mentioned wanting cash. If I were to go again (hope hope hope) I will take $100 - $150 cash and use my credit cards for the jewelry.

Russ

We actually negotiated in a jewlery store. I don't remember the name but it's one DCL reccommends and they have numerous locations. We paid part in cash and the balance on credit card for my anniversary band. When I brought it back to MD it appraised for alot higher! Yippie!! I love to shop on cruises!!!

Call your credit card company before you leave. We were turned down on two cards in St Maarten on a $2,000 purchase of jewelery. One was a debit card, with more than enough balance, the other was a credit card with a limit that was not anywhere near to being exceeded. The reason? We returned and found messages from the companies' consumer fraud division. According to them, most any foreign purchase of jewelery, electronics and consumer goods over $1,000 will be rejected. The solution is to call them at the time the purchase is made, not easy if outside the U.S. Another solution is to call them in advance, jump through hoops and get the card flagged as to where you are going and what you intend to purchase. Although one woman I spoke to at Master Card says they sometimes refuse, or claim they cannot do this, she said you must be persisent to get the right person. The cards turned down were not a problem on the ship, since the DCL debits are not logged to a foreign company. Guest Services will cash only $100 a day in travelers checks. Our solution was to write a personal check for the purchase, which they took. It was at one of DCL's sanctioned stores, and the shore buyer had walked into the store and we greeted each other, so obviously they knew we were on the Magic. So keep lots of traveler's checks or get your card cleared for large purchases BEFORE you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter