Castaway Cay 5K?

No longer done as an organized activity, just on your own/on your honor. As PP said, do it as your own pace, then go to the bike rental stand to collect your medal.

I wish it would go back to the old way of doing it.

On our last trip in November 2022 we saw so many people short cut the course. They either did not go around the loop twice "because they did not know" or we heard one couple say they were only going to walk to the end of the runway and then go back to get the medal.

With that said, we did answer several peoples question that were standing on the runway confused what the course was because there was no one at the entrance to the loop to guide people.

I wish it would go back to the old way of doing it.

On our last trip in November 2022 we saw so many people short cut the course. They either did not go around the loop twice "because they did not know" or we heard one couple say they were only going to walk to the end of the runway and then go back to get the medal.

With that said, we did answer several peoples question that were standing on the runway confused what the course was because there was no one at the entrance to the loop to guide people.
Yeah dang, that kind of sucks. Oh well, I want to do it anyway. It's kind of a bucket list item for me, since I didn't do it last time and I have already done a dozen Disney races since then.

I used to say to people when it came to marathons "why run when you can drive" 😉

First let me say the Cast Away Cay 5K is the only race I have ever done. I enjoyed doing it because it was semi organized.
You met at the Walt Disney Theater as a group, then everyone walked to the start line and got a numbed bib, then everyone started as a group with a start time clock at the start/finish line.
There were people like my wife and I that did it as a walk and there were people that did it like a regular 5k, it was nice.
Disney had cast members throughout the course cheering you on and they had a water stations on the runway and on the loop.
My big thing was to be able to do the race then get back to the ship to have a doughnut from Cabanas with breakfast.:cool1:

On our last cruise November 2022 you got off the ship on your own, found your way to the starting line and started. At that time there were only cast members at the start/finish line not sure if it has changed to having at least someone out on the course.

It is still a nice way to start the day at Cast Away Cay, enjoy and have fun.

If you have a smart watch you can run your own path to tally 5k. Last time I did it the weather was so hot and humid that I just kept circling the loop to stay in some shade and not trot down the hot runway.
Yeah that's likely what I will do, either on my apple watch or I'll just use my Peloton app. ;)

Yeah that's likely what I will do, either on my apple watch or I'll just use my Peloton app. ;)
They used to tell us that you ended up doing 6 K by the time you added in your walk from the ship to the start line, so if you go right back to the ship you are almost at 7. I've done it 12 times and even in the winter it is a hot sticky "run" but it is tradition now, I have to do it. Then it is head to the adult beach lunch for rib eye steaks, ice cream and giant chocolate chip cookies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter