Cats in the flowerbeds

cajunmommy

DIS Veteran
Newbie to the Flower board here. Hope you can help!

We've had a neighbor's cat take up residence in our flower beds. I can tolerate the cat, I just don't like its digging holes and using the bed as a litter box. The cat has also decided to use my shrubs as a hiding spot to stalk our visiting hummingbirds.

DH is threatening to place the cat in some sort of "relocation" program - not too neighborly. I'm hoping you could recommend a gentler solution.

The cat's owners use mothballs to keep the cat out of their flowerbeds (which is why it comes to our house), but I really don't like the smell.

TIA!

Welcome, cajunmommy! :flower3:

I've had problems with neighbour's cats leaving their umm..calling cards, and have used a product called Critter Ridder, with good success. It's all natural, contains lots of pepper, and they can't stand the smell. The only downside is that it needs to be re-applied after it rains. You should be able to find it, or something similar, at most garden centres or stores like Home Depot. :)

Any other suggestions for cajunmommy, Buds? :)

when I am home tonight I will look in my books.

I have cats and yes they will definitely dig up plants.

mind do it to - unless I let them smell it before I plant it.

Now I kept a litter box in the house for them and they will go inside the house before doing anything outside. (it is saver for them)

cats are hard to discourage.

Sorry you are having problems with your local cat.

My hubby buys dried blood meal...
It fertilizes the garden and cats are put off by the smell. Only the animals actually smell it, you won't.

~HTH~

:flower:
Bonjour! My neighbor's cat uses my flower beds as his private potty. I'm trying moth balls next-An elderly relative swears by this remedy. :sunny:

cajunmommy said:
Newbie to the Flower board here. Hope you can help!

We've had a neighbor's cat take up residence in our flower beds. I can tolerate the cat, I just don't like its digging holes and using the bed as a litter box. The cat has also decided to use my shrubs as a hiding spot to stalk our visiting hummingbirds.

DH is threatening to place the cat in some sort of "relocation" program - not too neighborly. I'm hoping you could recommend a gentler solution.

The cat's owners use mothballs to keep the cat out of their flowerbeds (which is why it comes to our house), but I really don't like the smell.

TIA!
:wave2:

Our neighbor's cat uses the flower bed right by our front door. It is so gross! And DH buys this stinky stuff to deter the cat, but it doesn't last for long (and I hate that we have to pay for it just because they don't keep their cat in their house!) We may have to pave over the flower box, or put down large river rocks; I don't know what else to do.

If it feasable...

Any kind of rock base should keep the cat out. Broken seashells too...IMO they prefer the softer dirt or mulch to do their business in.

My local wildlife sanctuary sells the tiger poo for gardeners suffering with this problem, apparently by putting this in the flower beds cats believe theres a very threatening creature around! :rotfl:

carolfoy said:
My local wildlife sanctuary sells the tiger poo for gardeners suffering with this problem, apparently by putting this in the flower beds cats believe theres a very threatening creature around! :rotfl:
Now that's a Wild idea!

tiggerwannabe said:
If it feasable...

Any kind of rock base should keep the cat out. Broken seashells too...IMO they prefer the softer dirt or mulch to do their business in.

Right now it has what look like lava rocks that are about an inch across, and the cat just treats them like kitty litter. That's why I was thinking we would have to go with something bigger and heavier... but since it is a longterm habit I'm not sure if that would even work -- it might just "go" on top of the rocks. I really resent that we have to go through all this effort, expense, and disgust because of irresponsible neighbors!

tiggerwannabe said:
My hubby buys dried blood meal...
It fertilizes the garden and cats are put off by the smell. Only the animals actually smell it, you won't.~HTH~
You seriously should consider using the blood meal...it's cheaper than re-doing your garden, you only need one bag for the whole summer, and you can't smell it but the cat can.

You seriously should consider using the blood meal...it's cheaper than re-doing your garden, you only need one bag for the whole summer, and you can't smell it but the cat can.

Do you think this would work on squirrels?!? :)

Pixiedusttravel said:
Do you think this would work on squirrels?!? :)
:confused3 I'm not sure...
Are they pooping in your garden or just being a nuisance?

Squirrels are harder to get rid of. Humane traps and relocation is the only thing I know that really works on ridding yourself of squirrels.

I'm not sure...
Are they pooping in your garden or just being a nuisance?

Squirrels are harder to get rid of. Humane traps and relocation is the only thing I know that really works on ridding yourself of squirrels.

They are just destroying my birdfeeders and digging little holes in my garden to bury their acorns. (although I don't know why they would need acorns, I feed them very well!!!) ;)

I did go to the local Pet store and the clerk there told me there used to be a product they sold that you mix with your bird seed that squirrels did not like. She thought it had chili powder in it. The only thing is that they discontiued it in the store, and I can not find it anywhere! Has anyone ever heard about using chili powder? I'm about ready to try anything.... :crazy:

If you really think the chili powder won't affect the birds...
Buy some chili powder and try it.

I agree about how destructive the squirrels are. We have a plastic bird feeder that hangs away from the shed and they've managed to eat part of the lid off of that!

The Clerk said that the birds love the chili concouction, and that the squirrels just don't like the smell. I really don't want to hurt the birds, but I may try just a little in a small feeder and see what happens...

Pixiedusttravel said:
The Clerk said that the birds love the chili concouction, and that the squirrels just don't like the smell. I really don't want to hurt the birds, but I may try just a little in a small feeder and see what happens...
I say go for it...
I may even set up my own experiment...we have a wooden pole feeder that the squirrels like to go into, chili powder, here I come.

~TTFN~

Pixie_Dust said:
Right now it has what look like lava rocks that are about an inch across, and the cat just treats them like kitty litter. That's why I was thinking we would have to go with something bigger and heavier... but since it is a longterm habit I'm not sure if that would even work -- it might just "go" on top of the rocks. I really resent that we have to go through all this effort, expense, and disgust because of irresponsible neighbors!

This is what is working for me...I am bonding with the cat - petting it (even tho' I have allergies) and giving it treats. That's because once I have its trust, it will be going into a cat relocation program. :moped: Bye-bye kitty!

Just popping in to say Welcome, to our new Buds, tiggerwannabe, Lady Fleur, carolfoy, MPLsDad, and Welcome back , to Pixie_Dust!! :flower3:

You guys have given some great suggestions, thank you, and keep it up!! :)

Laying down some fine mesh screening and covering it up with a bit of soil, is another idea.

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter