CBSA to reopen all NEXUS airport enrolment centres

This is good news! My son's expires in December and mine next Feb so I planned to renew them when we get back from Disney in May. I am not sure I'll need a new interview but since he is 13 and not 8 now, I suspect he will.

Just to clarify: it seems like you can only book the Canadian portion at Canadian pre-clearance airports unless you are flying to the U.S. (at which point you can do the U.S. portion once you cross U.S. immigration).

Just to clarify: it seems like you can only book the Canadian portion at Canadian pre-clearance airports unless you are flying to the U.S. (at which point you can do the U.S. portion once you cross U.S. immigration).
Could someone explain to me more about what this process would look like? We are signing up new for Nexus and finally were able to book our interview in Edmonton for June after getting conditional approval March 2021. We travel to the US at the end of August. So would we do the second interview in Edmonton before flying to the states or when we get to our arrival airport in the states?

Could someone explain to me more about what this process would look like? We are signing up new for Nexus and finally were able to book our interview in Edmonton for June after getting conditional approval March 2021. We travel to the US at the end of August. So would we do the second interview in Edmonton before flying to the states or when we get to our arrival airport in the states?
I haven't gone through the process myself, but based on what I read in the document, once you have your Canadian-side interview done, the next time you fly to the U.S., you will have your U.S. interview once you cross immigration to the U.S. (and are in the transborder area). So make sure you cross security and U.S. immigration and budget enough time before your flight.

I haven't gone through the process myself, but based on what I read in the document, once you have your Canadian-side interview done, the next time you fly to the U.S., you will have your U.S. interview once you cross immigration to the U.S. (and are in the transborder area). So make sure you cross security and U.S. immigration and budget enough time before your flight.
So before our flight as in, still at the Canadian airport? So we go through security before our flight and do it there? What if we connecting through another Canadian airport?

Our next trip to the US will be Edmonton > Toronto > Orlando. So we will do the second interview in Edmonton or in Toronto?

So before our flight as in, still at the Canadian airport? So we go through security before our flight and do it there? What if we connecting through another Canadian airport?

Our next trip to the US will be Edmonton > Toronto > Orlando. So we will do the second interview in Edmonton or in Toronto?
I've never transited like that myself (I always fly to the U.S. from YUL), but I assume you cross U.S. immigration at YYZ, not YEG, so the U.S. part of the interview will be done in Toronto once you are in the preclearance area.

I've never transited like that myself (I always fly to the U.S. from YUL), but I assume you cross U.S. immigration at YYZ, not YEG, so the U.S. part of the interview will be done in Toronto once you are in the preclearance area.

Ohh dear... that might be tight! We've got a 2 hour layover in Toronto. Hoping that will be enough time to do the interview before we board our next flight! I would love if we could do a direct flight to MCO, but the options are very limited for that from our airport unfortunately! Thanks!

The "interview" can vary from a formality (i.e they just explain the program to you like they did to me) to asking specific questions about your travel history. The new process you first do an interview with a Canadian agent in Canada at the airport. Then, eventually, when you fly to the US, you can complete the US part of the airport in the preclearance area of the airport. If the goal is to do this the same day make sure to leave yourself plenty of time.

The "interview" can vary from a formality (i.e they just explain the program to you like they did to me) to asking specific questions about your travel history. The new process you first do an interview with a Canadian agent in Canada at the airport. Then, eventually, when you fly to the US, you can complete the US part of the airport in the preclearance area of the airport. If the goal is to do this the same day make sure to leave yourself plenty of time.
Thanks for the info. I think the part I was unclear of is what the "preclearance" area of the airport is. Sounds like it's on the Canadian side after security. Unfortunately we have a layover in another Canadian city on our next US- bound trip so we don't really have the option to give ourselves more time if needed. It will depend if our first leg arrives on time, and how long it takes us to get over to the US departures side of the airport.

Thanks for the info. I think the part I was unclear of is what the "preclearance" area of the airport is. Sounds like it's on the Canadian side after security. Unfortunately we have a layover in another Canadian city on our next US- bound trip so we don't really have the option to give ourselves more time if needed. It will depend if our first leg arrives on time, and how long it takes us to get over to the US departures side of the airport.
The preclearance area at preclearance Canadian airports is after you cross CATSA security AND cross U.S. customs and immigration. That's the part of the airport where you are effectively "on U.S. soil" despite being in Canada.

Has anyone done the US portion of the Nexus interview? Just wondering how much time we should alot in Toronto for three of us.
We did the Canadian portion in Halifax 2 weeks ago. It took 10 minutes for each of us.

Reviving this thread to post my frustration!

So, way back in the pre-pandemic times, all 3 of us applied for Nexus. We were all conditionally approved but DH's expired before interview locations were reopened so he had to apply again. Then, they reopened the one at YVR and his was conditionally approved again. Great, so I managed to get all 3 of us interviews tomorrow at 11:30 and 11:45 a few weeks ago. Booked them and then booked the ferries there and back.

I logged in this morning to check what identification we needed to bring and all three of our appointments were cancelled a few days ago with no notification!

Queue the frantic phone calls, finally got someone on the phone who was at the YVR office and he let me know that there was a glitch in their system that opened up interview times when they were not actually available. He did say that they will honour the appointments I made, especially since we are coming over from the Island specifically to do this but DH is fairly convinced that we will get there tomorrow only to be told we are out of luck.

UGH! Super frustrating!

We have been talking about maybe applying for Nexus since we seem to be REALLY enjoying the Nascar races. WE want to go to more of them...so it is just quick turn and burn trips down and back.

I might to have to look into this more.

Nexus is the best. I flew AC domestic out of Pearson last week and even with being there two hours before my flight, I seriously doubt I would have made it thru security in time. Fortunately, with my Nexus card, I had exactly three people in front of me in order to get thru the line. So worth it…

We have been talking about maybe applying for Nexus since we seem to be REALLY enjoying the Nascar races. WE want to go to more of them...so it is just quick turn and burn trips down and back.

I might to have to look into this more.
I've calculated that i have saved about 60 hours of waiting time so far in security and customs lines alone since getting the card in 2015. Also, getting free TSA precheck is a huge benefit especially flying out of busy airports (like MCO!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter