Central Florida University

swilshire

DIS Veteran
Excuse a visit from a Mom here, but I wondered if there are any CFU students or graduates on the board. My son plans a college visit there in October.

He will be a music major, planning to teach and/or conduct. I don't know much about the school.

Any info and advice appreciated.

Sheila

My friend plays soccer there, but thats as far as my knowledge goes! Hope you can get better information! :)

I should add that his biggest reason for interest in the school seems to be that it is close to Disney World. Guess he is hoping to work there part time during school. He has a good background in theatre and music, but I'm sure there is tons of competition for jobs.

Sheila

Don't know much about UCF's music department...in fact, I didn't know they had a music department.

I do know that Stetson University in DeLand is reknowned for its music programs. DeLand is north of Orlando (between Orlando and Daytona)...it's nice there.

www.stetson.edu

I don't have too much knowledge of UCF other than my roommates sister went there and left because it was too big (something like 30 thousand students!) If he's looking for places in close proximity he might also want to take a look at Rollins College in Winter Park. It's an excellent school, it was number 2 in the state the year before last. I don't know what it ranked this past year. Just an FYI.

I live about 15 min. from UCF. The area around UCF is heavily populated with college kids and apartments. There is bus service from the local apartments to minimize campus parking. It's about 30-40 min. from Disney on a good traffic day. It's grown considerably over the years and it's a pretty big campus now. They don't have a stadium on campus, but they are trying to get enough money for that to happen. It's fairly newer construction - nothing historic such as UF's campus. I've known quite a few people who have gotten degrees there. Seems like a good University to me.

Check out the schools website at ucf.edu and not sure if he is interested in marching band but he can also checkout UCF Marching Knights for information on the Marching Knights, if he goes in the links section their are links to the music department and other music related organizations and activities. He could also communicate on the message board to ask questions to music majors or people in the department.

Becky

I graduated from the University of Central Florida, last July. I was a member of the Marching Knights and Jammin' Knights, these are the Marching band and basketball pep band. I was also a member of Tau Beta Sigma, a national music service sorority. UCF has a gorgeous campus. UCF is growing and expanding rapidly. When I went back to visit in March there was so much new that wasn't there when I left.

Due to its rapid growth comes many growing pains. The school has a great music department, however the facilities it has for the size of the department are too small. There are plans for a music building and other awesome facilities for music however as of right now they do not exist. If he is willing to be flexible and deal with the construction, it is an awesome place to be due to all the new things that keep happening. If you have any other questions, I will try my best to answer them.

Becky

I visited UCF last spring break while we were down at disney. I was very impressed, the campus was beautiful, and I definitely loved the fact that it was close to my second home (disney, of course!) One of my teachers has a daughter who's a sophomore there, and she loves it. They are also a disney family. She's majoring in the film department, and just recently got a job at disney on the weekends as a jungle cruise skipper. I think that's a great perk too, since she still gets the experience of working at disney without taking a semester off to do the college program.

I plan on majoring in music education as well. My flute teacher said she had a friend who is a concert violinist go there for a music major, but past that I don't know much about the music department, and didn't learn much about it from the tour either. Let me know what you find out about it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter