Gift Card Help

Cindy's Mom

DIS Veteran
I need some guidance with a gift card. We haven't been to WDW in 10 years and at the last minute my "kids" suggested that after a family cruise in July the we head up to WDW and Drink Around the World at EPCOT. The "kids" actually volunteered to pay for the drinks - and one of them thought it would be best to get a gift card and they each can load it up from now until July 8. So here's the question - would we add that card to our magic bands (of which I know nothing about, lol) or would we just get a physical card and swipe "around the world". TIA for any guidance - I just overwhelmed at how everything has changed since our last trip.

I need some guidance with a gift card. We haven't been to WDW in 10 years and at the last minute my "kids" suggested that after a family cruise in July the we head up to WDW and Drink Around the World at EPCOT. The "kids" actually volunteered to pay for the drinks - and one of them thought it would be best to get a gift card and they each can load it up from now until July 8. So here's the question - would we add that card to our magic bands (of which I know nothing about, lol) or would we just get a physical card and swipe "around the world". TIA for any guidance - I just overwhelmed at how everything has changed since our last trip.
you can't load the GC on your magic band. Just get a physical gift card and you can load additional GCs to the physical card up to $1,000 through the disney gc website if you choose to buy the cards in stages. I also like to put the GC number in the notes app on my phone so that if I mobile order something, I can just copy and paste it.

Just to be clear, nothing at all can actually be loaded "onto" a MagicBand. Not a gift card or a credit card or anything else. The MagicBand points to your My Disney Experience account. If you have a room reservation, that means you can charge things to your room. But no method of payment is actually stored on the band itself.

Sounds like a mess. If a load goes wrong (happened to me twice typing in the security pin wrong is enough to trigger this) the card is locked and you have to call Disney to unlock the card telling them where you bought the card and how much was on it- if it really goes wrong (I haven't had this happen thankfully) you need all the receipts from all the loads on the card to get it unlocked. Skip this idea. Let the kids pool whatever amount they're gifting you and buy you a single gift card in that amount.

If you stay on-site you could just charge to your MB and the kids could go to the front desk and pay off the epcot booze portion using whatever payment methods they each choose.

Sounds like a mess. If a load goes wrong (happened to me twice typing in the security pin wrong is enough to trigger this) the card is locked and you have to call Disney to unlock the card telling them where you bought the card and how much was on it- if it really goes wrong (I haven't had this happen thankfully) you need all the receipts from all the loads on the card to get it unlocked. Skip this idea. Let the kids pool whatever amount they're gifting you and buy you a single gift card in that amount.

If you stay on-site you could just charge to your MB and the kids could go to the front desk and pay off the epcot booze portion using whatever payment methods they each choose.
I buy about $15,000 of Disney gift cards every year and have never run into a single problem like that.

I buy about $15,000 of Disney gift cards every year and have never run into a single problem like that.
Congrats.

Some others have run into the 24-48 must call lock on the gc thread so no, it's not a fake concern. The send us all receipts lock is much more rare and has only happened to a couple people that we know of.

and then what do you do with the gift cards? Present them/it at front desk and then the credit/room charges draw off of that?

and then what do you do with the gift cards? Present them/it at front desk and then the credit/room charges draw off of that?
Three options.

1. Carry the gift cards and pay for each transaction with them.

2. Apply GC to your room account at the front desk and then the room charges would draw down.

3. Like #2 but in reverse, do room charges along the way and then go to the front desk to pay down your balance with GCs after the fact.

Three options.

1. Carry the gift cards and pay for each transaction with them.

2. Apply GC to your room account at the front desk and then the room charges would draw down.

3. Like #2 but in reverse, do room charges along the way and then go to the front desk to pay down your balance with GCs after the fact.
thank you....this is coming back to me now. Its been a while since we've been. I've done this many times before. I didn't realize you can still do things the "old fashion way" LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter