• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Changes to hotel express

When is this going into effect? I know people who are there now and have no picture IDs for the express pass.

When is this going into effect? I know people who are there now and have no picture IDs for the express pass.

read post #15

(This has been delayed until April to work out all the kinks.)

Not that it will affect me, but I can't imagine that it's really all that necessary. Yes, I realize that some people lend out their room keys to let others use them, but logistically the only way this makes a negative impact on anyone else is when they claim that their keys are lost and get replacements. Otherwise, you have the same number of people using the perk. I have a harm time envisioning enough people "double dipping" to justify the cost of implementing a new system. Seems like it would be easier to just make sure the TMs scan each card each time they are used. I'm assuming when you report your key as lost they rendered unusable from that point on.

Not that it will affect me, but I can't imagine that it's really all that necessary. Yes, I realize that some people lend out their room keys to let others use them, but logistically the only way this makes a negative impact on anyone else is when they claim that their keys are lost and get replacements. Otherwise, you have the same number of people using the perk. I have a harm time envisioning enough people "double dipping" to justify the cost of implementing a new system. Seems like it would be easier to just make sure the TMs scan each card each time they are used. I'm assuming when you report your key as lost they rendered unusable from that point on.

If a family of 5 gets a room and joins up with two other families at the park and they all just share the first family's express passes instead of purchasing their own, you get a lot of lost revenue. The second and third family should either be staying onsite as well or purchasing their own passes. This lost revenue would add up. It probably isn't as much the negative impact as the money that the park or hotels could have been making. We get that question quite a bit on these boards..."Can I share my express pass with other people who will be meeting us at the park?"

If a family of 5 gets a room and joins up with two other families at the park and they all just share the first family's express passes instead of purchasing their own, you get a lot of lost revenue. The second and third family should either be staying onsite as well or purchasing their own passes. This lost revenue would add up. It probably isn't as much the negative impact as the money that the park or hotels could have been making. We get that question quite a bit on these boards..."Can I share my express pass with other people who will be meeting us at the park?"

Oh I understand that as well, I guess I just don't see it happening often enough to justify the additional cost the changes are going to entail, but I'm sure the bean counters have already figured I'm wrong! :) Then again, I'm probably overestimating what the new system will cost them anyway.

Rip, it happens a lot, all the time .........

each time i stay onsite i hear guests around me talk about how they are going to 'share' their hotel cards for express usage.

i'm pleased they have this new system in place.

Oh I understand that as well, I guess I just don't see it happening often enough to justify the additional cost the changes are going to entail, but I'm sure the bean counters have already figured I'm wrong! :) Then again, I'm probably overestimating what the new system will cost them anyway.

Could be they are thinking ahead to the HP expansion? Another 6 plus months of high attendance record breaking crowds. If it's even a "small" problem now it might be huge with the next expansion.:sad2:

This gives them plenty of time to have the kinks worked (hopefully lol) out and have everything in place and ready.

I'll be the voice of dissent, and say that I don't like it.

If it had remained your roomkey card with your picture on it for verification, I'd be fine with it. But as it sounds like it is a seperate card, I now find myself keeping track of 3 documents when going to the park (park ticket, roomkey and now the express ticket). I'd prefer all three to be combined into one card.

Also, how would these kiosks work? Slide your roomkey for verification, have your picture taken, and then a new express pass gets issued. As it sounds like these can be reissued, what happens to the previous pass if a new one is created? Does it get deactivated? I would hope so. Almost seems like there's an increased chance of fraud if people can issue multiple express passes with one hotel keycard.

I'll be the voice of dissent, and say that I don't like it.

If it had remained your roomkey card with your picture on it for verification, I'd be fine with it. But as it sounds like it is a seperate card, I now find myself keeping track of 3 documents when going to the park (park ticket, roomkey and now the express ticket). I'd prefer all three to be combined into one card.

Also, how would these kiosks work? Slide your roomkey for verification, have your picture taken, and then a new express pass gets issued. As it sounds like these can be reissued, what happens to the previous pass if a new one is created? Does it get deactivated? I would hope so. Almost seems like there's an increased chance of fraud if people can issue multiple express passes with one hotel keycard.
Geez I hate to admit it but you are right :( I guess I was thinking it would be at checkin when you would get your picture taken and it would be your room key.

I bet this has been thought of and so they have to have something that will make this a better system.

See I agree...I think it happens more times than most of us know. My husband and I were talking about it, and I would bet that some people even sell their hotel keys when they leave. (EX)Their stay is April 1-April 4 but they are leaving on the 4th in the morning. They could go to the park, and just sell their keys for $20 each to someone visiting. I have never seen this happen...but I would bet it does happen, and compared to what EP are sold for....$20 is a deal. I think having a photo card is a great idea. I have my tickets in my bag, and now instead of having my room key in my side pocket of my bag...I will have my EP. No harm no foul.

that has been happening melanie.

it would be awful if the onsite hotels would pull that guest perk of allowing check out day valid for ex line usage.

i support this change and the usage of photo id's for the hotel guests.

that has been happening melanie.

WOW! I have that police officers wife brain. It is really sad that people would do that, or ever cheat the system. It is bad enough when I go to the parks and have had people make nasty comments about being in the EP line, or literally see people try to go under the rails and sneak into the EP line, or try to convince the US employee that one key is for their whole group (yes I saw that). I know staying onsite is expensive. We scrimp and save to do it.

Any more info on the kiosks? Has anyone seen or used this yet? Just curious.:thumbsup2

Are the hotels creating the photo passes yet? If so, should we allow extra time? We are checking in around 7am next week, going to the 8am HP early entry -- just want to make sure this won't add too much time.

Thanks!!

Are the hotels creating the photo passes yet? If so, should we allow extra time? We are checking in around 7am next week, going to the 8am HP early entry -- just want to make sure this won't add too much time.

Thanks!!

We were at the Portofino Bay this past week and there are no photo passes yet.

I didn't see this posted yet, so thought I'd share my conversation with a Loews reservationist yesterday. We talked about the new Express pass system, and she said it is now slated for April 30; second postponement, but they seem more sure this time!:laughing:

Found some photos of the photo kiosks on orlando informer.:thumbsup2

HRH

HRH.jpg

PBH

PBH.jpg

RPR

RPR.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter