• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Changes to On-Site Express

I've been reading these with little interest as we just got back and, being across country, there's little hope of going back soon. I'd like to, tho!!

I would have definitely rethought onsite, tho.

DD 12 is a big ride freak and DS 15 rides very little. Neither likes shows. DD and DH ended up doing all the big rides - those now limited 2 - 4 times each while DS did only Mummy 2x, BTTF 1x and then went to MIB and stayed for up to 2 - 3 hours. When we were there the storms started rolling in around 1-2 and lasted all night, so swimming wasn't an option, and swimming they can do at home.

I understand their reasoning, and also don't think the timing is the greatest for open access, but still makes the hotel prices, when you are like us and go there mainly to sleep, questionable.

Our experience was at MIB when they were busy (and at one point the queue line was 90 min wait) was they filled one side exclusively from the queue, the other was 1/2 FOTL and 1/2 single riders and they then filled in w/ regular queue.

I know the bottom line is that according to news reports Universal is a money losing park - but I'm not sure that turning it in to Disney treatment for on site guests (many of whom seem to be quite regulars) will help or hurt their bottom line. Time will tell....

1 Day 2 Park - Good point about the weather factor. Not that it is a conspiracy, but that maybe we SHOULD go to IOA first and then to USO second because most of those rides are inside. Thanks again Motherfletcher. :)

I still have not received a response back from my letter sent to the PBH concierge. I imagine they have received plenty.

Have fun Familyof14-
I think you have almost all the ducks in a row. Checkout the PBH Spa though, even if you just walk through. Take the boat to IOA and the bus back from US.

I just received a third welcoming letter from Portofino . In this one, the Express part was worded a bit differently from the first letter (page 2 of this thread) and signed by a different manager. The second letter didn't mention Express at all.
Here is the third:

If you're headed to Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure, don't forget your room key UNIVERSAL EXPRESSSM ride access! Just show your room key card at the Express entrance at each attraction and bypass the regular lines! It's an exclusive offer for our on-site guests along with other special benefits including complimentary transportation throughout the resort and more. (restrictions apply)

I remember reading the "restrictions apply" blurb on last year's welcoming material too. I guess the restrictions were there all along...just not enforced.

COUNTDOWN TIMER: 7 days...tic,tic,tic :Pinkbounc

Yes, that disclaimer has always been there and we have been expecting this. When the scanners were put in, we knew it was just a matter of time. I really don't think it will make too much of a difference if people just plan around it. There is certainly enough to do to fill those three peak time hours in the afternoon with the other attractions.

When I called today (1800)BE A STAR - they told me about the change in policy... We are still going, but I am not as excited. All in all $149/night @ the RPH is not bad...

Still on vacation which included a stay at the PBH 7/2-7/3. We weren't given any flyer about FOTL changes reading on this board was the first time I have seen anything about it. They were very casual about looking at our hotel keys and the most examined we had was a couple of people making sure we had a key for each person. Went on ROTM during a thunderstorm after 3 PM and did not have the key scanned, may have been a different experience if we had been there earlier in the day. We did ride Shrek 4-D two times in a row and Jimmy Neutron 3 times in a row (my 5 year olds favorite ride), but again this was after 3 PM. Personally, even with the changes, I think FOTL is the best thing in the world, it was the first time we had used it and loved it. Tomorrow we head to WDW and I am sure we will miss being able to show our room key and go to the front of the line.

The fact is that Universal are obviously not enforcing this new rule properly...AT THE MOMENT.

HOWEVER, I still think that the deal is reasonable and it is by no means a big enough deterant to go and stay off site. Simply because the parks are open until 10PM!! Despite the occasional storm that is 7 hours of unrestricted access to do the rides that possibly were restricted before 3PM.

Heck, in 7 hours you could do the whole of USO and IOA with FOTL if you were in a rush.

Also this might be a GOOD thing. Atleast now hotel guests will be able to soak up the park atmosphere a bit more and seek out more places to relax and new things to see until 3PM.....then go ride crazy until 10.

Always look on the bright side people! Always look on the brightside.

Thanks for your insight Dave WH! I've had two days now to take a breath and realize we will still have a great time. We still have FOTL and will work around the small nuisance of no re-rides before 3.:teeth:

Well, I'm headed off to Universal tomorrow. :D I'm over my initial shock of the new policy. Heck, I haven't even experienced most of these attractions before, as my last visit was in 1996. I don't think the reride will be an issue. I'm doing 4 nights at HRH and 7 nights at Disney. I'll be sure to report my experiences when I get back.::yes:: :wave2:

I am also getting over the initial disappointment of the fotl thing. When I think back to last July's stay at RPR, fotl played a part in our fantastic time, but there were many, many other wonderful things about staying right at US ...........the whole atmosphere. RPR is a beautiful resort and I can't believe I'm actually going to get to stay there again in just a few more days!!

COUNTDOWN TIMER: 7 days.....tic,tic,tic :Pinkbounc

Eclpz314 thats a great attitude to have:p

i too loved RPR and even though i find the prices rather high- i really did have a fantastic time at the hotel

as i stated in a previous post- i just feel that the onsite guest at least deserved the courtesy of knowing before hand of the FOTL changes- it just seems sneaky to me and that is not the impression i like to have of UO

but...... i have booked to go again - aug 25- 30 2004- and i was just there in may/june- i won't let this change deter me- as long as they still have some useful form of FOTL

have a fantastic time Eclpz314
are you staying club level again? i really can't afford it this time- with planning 2 trips so close together- but a standard room at RPR will be just fine with me:bounce:

:wave:

I don't think that announcing before hand would have made any difference. People would still have complained. I still think that this is a temporary, high season, rule change.

I too am getting over my initial anger about the change in policy. I agree, we should have been given some advance notice. However, we will still have many hours worth of the FOTL perk. As someone else had stated, this will give me more time to enjoy all the shows and take in the true ambience of the parks. We have stayed at the HRH in the past, but this time are staying at the RPR, so I'll have a new resort to enjoy also. No way am I going to let the change in policy ruin my vacation! :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter