character meals

AvonMom

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done any of these before? This is our first trip to Disney with our children and were thinking about doing one on the last day before we leave. Is it worth it? Our children are 13, 10, 6. Thanks.

We really enjoyed the caracter meal we did at the Garden Grill in Epcot, and we are both adults (more or less :D ). If you are nervous about the expense for something the kids may or may not like, try the Ice Cream Social at the Garden Grill. For about $7 you get some type of ice cream concoction (we are planning one for our next trip, but haven't actually done it yet) and character interaction.

99 days to go!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The ice cream social is an inexpensive way to enjoy character interaction. We have done it twice. Both times, it was not crowded and the characters spent a lot of time with the kids. The ice cream was great and it cooled us down on a hot summer day :D

Food wise - I don't know that I would say that I think that the character meals are "worth it." How many people can eat $20 worth of food? But I DO think that they are worth it in terms of fun and time NOT spent standing in line waiting to greet a favorite character.
If you really want to see Mickey, Minnie and gang- there is no better way than at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. You don't have to go into the parks to do this either. If you want to see the Pooh Gang - the 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian is fun - and no park admission there either.
But I have heard great things about the Ice Cream Social - so that is a good way to see Mickey and Friends for a lot less money if you are going to be in Epcot anyway.
Just my 2 cents - hope that it helps! :)

We think the character meals are the best value you can find in Disney for dinner. The buffetts are great,soups & salads. Prime rib, turkey a fish course etc. Then desert & a soft drink. They have icecream bars & cupcakes stations.Chef Mickeys is a must! The kids go crazy for the Characters. We also really enjoyed Hollywood & Vine.

I have been to Disney World many times, but last year was the first time this "group" went - myself and my husband (mid 30s - no kids), my sister and her husband (late 20s, early 30s) and their son (my nephew) age 3 then, now age 4. We're all getting ready to go again. We found the character meals to be excellent for many reasons. We had no clue how my nephew would take to characters (he loved them). The men are BIG eaters, so they COULD eat $20 worth, we got out of the crowds and sun and got to sit down and relax, while eating a wonderful meal in the air conditioning, and got one on one time with the characters and got autographs without waiting in line. We plan to do a few character meals every trip!

As a psuedo adult :D I love character meals. The buffets are a nice change from counter service and they alwyas have a nice selection of fresh food.

I like the crystal palace in the MK. We like to do lunch ( a little cheaper than dinner) and yes, i do get a picture with the characters each time. Love those hugs from pooh and friends! If you haven't done it, you should try it at least once. The characters go to every table, (one at a time) and allow you to take as many poctures as you want. And lots of hugs!!

MY Favorite is the Fantazmic Dinner[you pay the reg dinner price{Frommer's says "H&V is a bargain}but get tickets and special seating for Fantazmic] at MGM's Hollywood and Vine!!
The food is 4**** stars and they have a special kid buffet!! And the dessert cake has mouse ears!!

Check out the restaurant boards for any more info on different meals :)
In the meantime......YES....the character meals are worth it.
The breakfast is less expensive and a great way to start the day :D
If you are considering a dinner....try going to a late lunch. The latest lunches are served aroung 4:15 and you will get the same amount of food but for a "lunch" price:D
Our favorite inside park character breakfast is Hollywood and Vine. Favorite inside park dinner is Liberty Tree Tavern.
But if you don't want to do a park meal, many of the resorts offer character meals!!

I suggest if you are looking for certain charaters....start there and decide which to go to.

Have fun :D :D

OK, OK, you all are right - Character Meals are ALTOGETHER "worth it!" :D If it wasn't we wouldn't make them a part of every Disney vacation. And you really CAN get your money's worth on food, since they do have such a large variety of salads, entrees, and desserts.

But I just wanted to mention - that, unless it has been changed, Hollywood and Vine's DINNER - what you would get for the Fantasmic Dinner Special - is not a character meal. We did this meal in August '01. Only Breakfast and Lunch are character meals there. But of course, this COULD have changed in the meantime...

Gosh, we've done just about all the character meals that interest us! The only char meals we haven't done are the ice cream social, Poly and H&V MGM ~ we are doing all those in April 2002. I love the char meals. I think it's worth the money ~ especially if you read all the tips the nice folks on these boards will give you. Our family likes char breakfasts because we tend to eat a lot and are full all day. Breakky also is a nice way to start the day. They are less $$ then char lunches and dinners too. Morning's are best for our kids. The char interaction, in my opinion, is best at the meals. Although I have never felt rushed with any char greeting, char meals gives a greater amt of time and leisure with the char.

TIP: PLAY with the char. Ask all sorts of YES/NO questions. EXAMPLE: Pooh Bear meal: "Do you eat yet Pooh?" "Is there any honey in the buffet?" "Did Tigger help you make all the food?" "Will Piglet help you clear all the dishes?" The char seem to like it, they stay longer and your video tape of the meal will be too cool!

TIP: ICE CREAM SOCIAL: $6.75 ONLY pp

TIP: Can't remember the exact cost, see www.wdwig.com , but I recall Donald's Breakfastosaurus in AK being the least expensive char breakky. Something like $14 per adult, where Cindy's was $15 and GF was $16.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter