Cheapest stroller alternative

Bryn

Earning My Ears
Hubby and I have been going back and forth between bringing our own stroller or renting. Renting adds up over 7 days but it's no big deal if the stroller is "accidentally" taken. Bringing our own is cheap and we can use it outside the parks but what if it disappears ?
We thought we had decided to bring our own and hope that no one would "accidentally" take our stroller.

Then, last weekend, I was driving home and I passed a Garage Sale. There was a yellow, green and blue umbrella stroller. I stopped to check it out. Seemed in good shape, just a little dirty. I asked the guy "How much?"...................ONE DOLLAR !!!!

Needless to say, I bought it. At the end of our week at WDW, I might even just leave it there.

I like your idea of using an umbrella stroller. When are you going on your trip?

Could you report back the results of using your own? I'd like to try the same thing, but I'm concerned about using an umbrella stroller day in and day out for 6 days when we go to DL/DCA in December/January. I'm also wondering if it would get stolen and how it would be in the rain (no tops to those, huh?)

My DD is 14 now, so it's been quite awhile since we dealt with the stroller problem, but this was our experience:

First year we took our own, and it was stolen. We made it look markedly different than anybody else's, so this was not an accident.

Then we started renting - they turned up missing several times (even with bows tied on them, etc. to make them look different). Yes, you can get them replaced for free (with your receipt), but we always seemed to be as far as possible away from where we could get another one (those are always the times when you don't want to walk one more step further than you absolutely need to!).

We went back to using our own stroller. At this point we used a short, very light weight, length of chain and a small lock (a bicycle lock would work very well). We attached the stroller to something (generally the wrought iron fence) before we went in and, unfailingly, it was there when we came back! We did that for several years (one to two trips per year), and never had another problem.

Oddly enough, we NEVER had a stroller problem at Sea World.

Have a great trip!

We took our own the first time and no problems. 9mo old was always in it.

Second trip we rented, read in the Unoffical Guide that it was modestly priced. I don't think so. Never really had a problem with not having a stroller out side the parks.

Third trip we took our SUV type double stroller, no problems except lugging it onto the bus.

Four trip is comming up and I am, as I type, waiting for my new strollers to arrive. Light weight, umbrella fold, but taller than the average umbrella stroller. This makes a big difference to me. Both DH and I have poor posture to begin with, but I can't imagine pushing a short stroller around with as hard as we were on the last one.

We decided on the Combi SUBV (Sport Utility Baby Vehical). $45 at estyle.com. It's not the $20 priced one, but it has the height and (lack of) weight. 10.3 lbs, I think.

I'm so sorry to hear people have had their strollers stolen! That is just the worst!

Lori

6/1997 Off site, 2/2000 Off site, 2/2001 Poly, 10/2001 POFQ, AKL & Magic

We are also considering our stroller options for our upcoming trip to WDW. On our last trip, we purchased 2 umbrella strollers at the Orlando Super Wal-Mart and attached our own stroller handle extenders we purchased from the Internet (really saves the back when you are tall). They worked out fine and only 1 time were they not in the same place we had left them but we found them after looking around a few minutes. My concern this year is that although my 5 (almost 6) year old will need the stroller the most, when she falls asleep, the back is not high enough to hold her head on the Wal-Mart umbrella strollers. But, at the same time, I don't want to have to pay for 2 rentals per day and I definitely don't want to push around a double stroller. Any suggestions?

:confused:

I went through this dilema last trip and decided to take our Prego because I thought the 18 month old would sleep in it. We also bought a cheap umbrella stroller. After one trip on the bus trying to fit the prego folded up(they insist you do this) onto the bus and then lugging on three kids the prego got left in the room unless we were using the monorail. The cheap umbrella stroller is still with us and will return to WDW this year along with a second one which I hope to find at a garage sale! It was fine as the kids didn't really end up falling asleep in the umbrella as they were to excited and we always did the nap after lunch. We never had a problem finding our strollers and I worried about the prego as it would have been $$$ to replace. For the ease and cost I would go with an umbrella.

Our last trip to disney we did very well with our umbrella stroller. It was not a very costly one
and I figured if someone was going to steal it, they would take a better stroller anyway. We did have trouble finding it sometimes as they do get shuffled around and some strollers have many doubles.

I am returning in two weeks again. Now I have the problem of 2 children and strollers. My neighbor just returned and stated that the stroller rentals are well worth it. They ran 7 bucks a day and they said the side by sides were so comfortable for the kids and easier to push then a regular stroller. I am considering doing the rental and just having the umbrella for airport, downtown disney....

We used an umbrella stroller when my DS was 2 and it worked wonderfully. You can carry it on the buses or monorail easily, they are cheap to buy, and when you approach the ticket takers at the front of the parks, you can generally get in a little quicker by having the one pushing the stroller approach those areas directly. We wrapped our stroller in colored ribbon to distinguish it from others and never had a problem. We were staying eight days and didn't want to pay the $50 for stroller rental when we could buy one for $12 or $15.

When we go in October we will take the umbrella stroller again.

Hope this helps.

I've got the same dilemma as all of you. We will be taking our 2 yr old (turning 3 on the trip) to DL and I'm debating about taking our big stoller. I LOVE it. It's got a huge basket, it reclines, has a shade cover that also has a "skylight" in it and has drink holders. Only thing is that we're driving and this stoller takes up 45% of the trunk space. I put dd in an umbrella stroller at toys r us the other day and it makes her sit funny. Her shoulders don't fit right and it's like she was squished in there. Her back was rounded. Are all umbrella strollers like this? I don't think dd would be comfortable in it for a week. If we end up taking our own stroller, I will definately take a bike lock with to lock it up. As long as it's next to a tree or against the railing it should be ok right? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Your concerns, basket, reclining, shade, are the reasons why we chose to invest in new strollers, in addition to the heighth issue.

The Combi SUBV really fit the bill. Less expensive than most full size strollers, $45 (estyle.com) and it reclines, has a basket for the diaper bag/back pack, and a cover to provide shade and most importantly it folds like an umbrella stroller. It's also light weight. It even has a carrying strap.

The only thing that it doesn't have is a cup holder, which we've desided we can't live without. Eight dollars at Babies R Us.

Good luck finding the right one for you!

Lori

6/1997 Off site, 2/2000 Off site, 2/2001 Poly, 10/2001 POFQ, AKL & Magic

WDW request people NOT to lock strollers TO anything. This is for fire safety reasons and because CMs often need to move strollers while people are in rides. If you watch at a ride for a while, you will notice that there is a CM moving strollers closer to the ride exit as people whose strollers are parked close to the exit leave and the space is empty. They do this to use space efficiently and make room for strollers as people leave them to get into line.
If you want to lock your stroller, you can lock the front or rear wheels together. By doing that, the stroller can still be moved by tilting it up on the unlocked wheels, but it can't be used because the locked together wheels won't roll. You could also put the lock across the seat, so the stroller can be rolled, but no one can sit on the seat without sitting on the lock.

I got an unbrella stroller at a garage sale for my dd but I did see the smae kind at Wal-Mart. It was a more expensive kind, $20 - $25 new, but it had a canopy over to keep out the sun and it would flip back behind the stroller if I wanted to see her better. It also had a really great pad that could be taken out and washed and did recline a bit (enough that she could have slept if she had wanted to). I've taken many strollers to WDW and never had one stolen.

Here I will share a tip I read somewhere to protect your stroller. Get a clear plastic bag. Inside put a diaper that you have poured Root Beer or Coke into. Fold the diaper like it was used and tie it to the handle of your stroller. It looks horrible and some one would really have to want your stroller to take it with that on it!
:D

Originally posted by dizmomof2

Here I will share a tip I read somewhere to protect your stroller. Get a clear plastic bag. Inside put a diaper that you have poured Root Beer or Coke into. Fold the diaper like it was used and tie it to the handle of your stroller. It looks horrible and some one would really have to want your stroller to take it with that on it!
:D

HA!!! That is too funny!!! May just have to try that!!! Dunno if MIL will approve though!! :rolleyes:

After spending hours online and an hour in Babies R Us trying the Travel Savvy and every other stroller (I even considered the Maclaren Daytripper-but came back to reality), I came to the conclusion that my soon to be 4 DS is JUST TOO TALL!!!! He has to pick up his feet on any stroller and forget about leaning his head back. But alas, it's still too much walking, so I will purchase a Kolcraft umbrella stroller right before we go (in Nov). It won't be hot , so I'm not worried about a canopy and no basket means no bringing (or buying) a bunch of junk. I'll probably get the red one and tie some balloons to it the minute we get in the park. It's only 20.00 and is better than nothing. The one we have now is a little worn (he's had it since he was six months).My stroller dilemma is OVER!

I was went out looking for an umbrella stroller for our trip next week. Our daughter is 4 and I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on a stroller that I most likely won't use again and I just couldn't see spending all that money on renting one from the park. So, to my surprise, a baby store near me was closing. I decided to go in to see if they would have any left, and guess what!! They were giving away free umbrella strollers with any purchase. I couldn't believe it!! I bought a folding table, that I'd been needing anyway, for $10 (excellent deal) and got the stroller free. :D :D

Can't get much better than that!!:)

It is a lot cheaper over the course of several days. Our kids could see out of the umbrella stroller better than the rentals too. Only problem we ran into was the rubber part of one of the wheels popped off of one of ours. I think it was when we went over the trolley tracks. It still made it thru the rest of the trip, but I let my dh push it, cause it got a little tougher w/o the wheel right. We will do the umbrella stroller again, maybe with better luck this time, NOW I know to watch out for those trolley tracks!

I also have a Kolcraft umbrella stroller. I searched everywhere for one with a canopy
that was inexpensive.. I picked it up online at babygear.com for 29.99 it is plaid, cushioned and has a nice canopy... It also reclines. I am very pleased with it. My children are on the smaller side but my 4 1/2 year old fits in it well.

I made my first trip to disney with a plain Kolcraft umbrella and no canopy and it was horrible. My daughter would not stay in the stroller because the sun would hit her in the face. We really missed the canopy.. and it was hot when we went.

Good luck !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter