Check in questions on a split stay

Spork24

Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder
So I just tried to check In for our last 2 nights of a split stay at bay lake at 8:00 AM (I'm the head of my household and usually always handle checkin etc with my group). We have part of our party that's sleeping in a bit and going to meet us at the park closer to checkout at 11:00. I was told I couldn't go through check in on the new room until everyone and everything was out of the old room. Does anyone know why they would have this policy? It's not like they would even assign me the new room right away. They always have to text me the room number anyway.(Of course the text system only actually texts me about half the time anyway) It would just help me get the paper work out of the way, and I could make sure everything was set up correctly.

Had anyone else experienced this or know the reason why?

It's because of the new resort computer software that's in place for MyMagic+. Before you can check-in to the second resort, they must do a hard check out in the first resorts computer. Once they do that hard check-in, your MagicBands won't open the doors to the first room.

Quick check out also doesn't seem to work now for split stays. In the past you didn't have to visit the front desk to check out but twice now we couldn't check in at our new resort because the old resort didn't check us out and we were checking in after 1 PM both times.

:earsboy: Bill

Quick check out also doesn't seem to work now for split stays. In the past you didn't have to visit the front desk to check out but twice now we couldn't check in at our new resort because the old resort didn't check us out and we were checking in after 1 PM both times.

Wow, this is good to know. We have a split stay coming up, and I wouldn't have even thought about going to the front desk to check out. I would have just assumed they did the automatic check out. So did you have to go back to the first resort to check out then?

Wow, this is good to know. We have a split stay coming up, and I wouldn't have even thought about going to the front desk to check out. I would have just assumed they did the automatic check out. So did you have to go back to the first resort to check out then?

Both times the new resort thought that we were checked in but the room door would not open. Both times we had to wait until tech support called by the new resort forced the check out in the system. Both times we spent about 45 minutes getting the issues resolved.

We've found 2 ways around this:
Option 1 - Have an extra person on the new reservation, and put them as the "lead". They would be able to check in with out issue because they were not on the reservation that's checking out. The rest of the party would need to have their MB reset at some point for them to work on the new room.

Option 2 - Have the two reservations on two separate MDE. That means separate MB (truly separate MBs). And if you have tickets or AP, that means keeping track of which band works for what :headache:

Both times the new resort thought that we were checked in but the room door would not open. Both times we had to wait until tech support called by the new resort forced the check out in the system. Both times we spent about 45 minutes getting the issues resolved.

Ugh. Gotta love all this new technology and how much "easier" it's made things. :headache:

Option 2 - Have the two reservations on two separate MDE. That means separate MB (truly separate MBs). And if you have tickets or AP, that means keeping track of which band works for what :headache:

Having multiple MDE accounts for one individual is just asking for trouble.

Ugh. Gotta love all this new technology and how much "easier" it's made things. :headache:

Most regular Disney Resort guests don't do split stays. It's primarily DVC Members doing split stays and the system was designed for regular resort guests.

As usual Disney IT make a mess of things and a Disney vacation have more problems.

We've done split stays twice in the last 6 months and have had no issues. The trick is to be sure you are actually checked out of the first reosrt before checking in to the second resort. Don't do online check-in for the second portion of your stay (don't think the system will let you, anyway).

You can either go to the front desk of the first resort and check out there, OR you can ask the CM at the second resort to make sure you are checked out of the first before checking you in to the second. We did the latter. No problems with MBs or room entry.

Front desk CMs should know how to check out guests that are still registered elsewhere on property.

Along the same-lines, if we do a split at AKV and the first half is club level will we be able to go to the lounge in the afternoon of check out day waiting for our next room (which is not club level but still at AVK)?

I heard you have access to the lounge the whole day of check out day but I am wondering if the bands won't work because of the new check-in.

I had a split stay last week. We did VGF Sun-Thurs and WL (non-DVC) Thurs-Sun. We heard there were problems so I went to the desk at VGF as we were leaving at 8:00am to be sure they officially checked us out. We didn't have problems checking into WL.

We did run into a problem with the dining plan. We had the dining plan for the WL portion. The reservation was under my friend's name. We went to use it at Sunshine Seasons and only her band worked for the dining plan. The cm said me and my other friend were not setup for charging. We went to the desk at WL went we got back and they fixed it. We're not sure if it happened because when my friend checked us in, she asked for only her band to be available for charging. It worked OK the rest of the trip.

I had the same issue at Easter. I didn't go to the desk to check out at AoA on the day we moved to AKV and when we arrived there, the CM had to force our check out at AoA to allow us to check in at AKV. It wasn't a problem at all and took only a few minutes (honestly that approach was probably quite a bit faster than going to the desk at AoA and checking out, although I didn't do it intentionally).

This is so good to know! We have a split stay VGF on our points and then YC cash reservation. I will make sure we are checked out of VGF before trying to check into YC.

For years we have done lots of splits and have always checked in early at the new resort before checking out of the old one (not that the room is ready).

Talked with MS and while the first CM was not aware of the problem he check with a supervisor who began making excuses that is was not MDE but finally just admitted that they do not think about DVC when they are doing these changes.

Does not sound like there are any plans for a fix anytime soon.

One more reason that WDW vacations are less easy and enjoyable.

We just did a split stay May 16 at BCV and May 17-20 at BWV. We had no problems and did not go to the front desk at BC on check out day, but we did have our bags transferred by bell services. We left BCV about 10am, went to Epcot for the day and finally made our way over to BWV(for check in) after dinner. Perhaps because it was much later in the day, but check in was smooth.

We just used one set of MB's although I had received 3 sets - 1 for each reservation and one for AP's. (We used the AP set).

I also did on-line check in for both reservations with no problems.

Honestly, with all the issues I read about on here, I was very skeptical it would all work out, but it did. All FP's, ADR's, credit card, etc...were on the MB's and all worked perfectly:)

Sound like the major glitch is if you check into your new room before you check out of the old one as we have been able to do for year

Sound like the major glitch is if you check into your new room before you check out of the old one as we have been able to do for year

The glitch is checking into the new room before 11am or 12pm. Even if you checked out of the old room, it's still an issue trying to check into the new one early. There network doesn't update as fast.

Also, there was an issue if there is a dining plan. We ran into that problem last month. The DDP doesn't work for check in/check out day, whether you have DDP on the old room or new room. DDP on the old room, credits do not show up after you check in to the new room. DDP on the new room doesn't show up after checking into the new room. :headache: Everything resolves itself after a day.

Also, there was an issue if there is a dining plan. We ran into that problem last month. The DDP doesn't work for check in/check out day, whether you have DDP on the old room or new room. DDP on the old room, credits do not show up after you check in to the new room. DDP on the new room doesn't show up after checking into the new room. :headache: Everything resolves itself after a day.

How do you manage to use your DDP credits in the meantime while waiting for the issue to resolve?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter