Child died on MS yesterday

Mellie2162

<font color="blue">It means that a friend is watch
Everytime I try to post a link to the news site I get timed out...Ive tried 3 times. Apparently a 4 year old was riding with his mother and passed out on MS. She carried him off and he died on the way to Celebration. So very sad....

Just saw a story about this on local news here in Miami. They said the 4 year old boy (who met the height requirement) passed out after coming off Mission Space. Fire Rescue responded but couldn't save him. The cause of death is unknown and they're doing an autopsy to find out what happened.

[EDIT: This apparently happened around 3:20 PM yesterday afternoon.]

Disney engineers checked the ride and said it's operating normally and they re-opened it this morning.

That's horrible. What a tragedy. The news account says they're going to be doing an autopsy today to determine what happened. That poor family.. :sad2:

After reading the blurb on MSNBC.com, I am wondering if perhaps the child had a seizure...

Boy was rigid, then limp
Officials said the boy, from Sellersville, Pa., was on the ride with his mother, Agnes, and a sister.

During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi’s body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened so she took his hand.

“When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat,” according to a sheriff’s office report.

Paramedics tried to revive him, but he died at Celebration Hospital.

I think most rides are inherently safe, and that most places do a diligent job of insuring safety (for example, the height requirement isn't placed at the threshold of doom -- it's several inches above the necessary to insure safety). Nonetheless, prior to even this event, I had been wondering for some time about the safety of higher G rides, namely because if someone is going to have, say, an aneurysm or stroke, how will they know they are at risk? In other words, weak vessels and "susceptible" victims don't always send out clues. I have a 1.5 yr old nephew who had a stroke; in researching what happened to him, my eyes were opened to a whole world of kids / young adults who have had strokes and (prior undetected - suddenly determined) cardiac issues. How would a parent know if they were sending their child into harm's way? My 2 boys LOVE Mission: Space (I on the other hand thought I was going to lose my lunch). But if I were my SIL, I don't think I would let even ONE of my kids ride it or any other g-force ride, simply because I'd be thinking, hmmm, I have ONE kid who had a stroke, and even if it WERE due to issues "unique" to him, why risk it with ANY of my genetically-linked brood? How can I be sure the OTHER two kids don't have a time bomb inside them?

I recall seeing warnings that certain TV shows and video games could induce a small % of kids to have seizures. Again -- how would a parent know, if the child has been exposed to other "games" and TV shows and is fine with it, that THIS one video or game is going to be the one that puts them over the edge? I would liken it, almost, to predicting if someone would go into anaphalactic shock... One day, your kid gets stung by a bee, and the next thing you know, you are dashing to an ER in a life/death situation..... Perhaps no one ELSE in your family was allergic to bees, and your kid had never been stung by a bee, so how were you to know that this ONE bee would be THE THING to send your child into the ER? My sister, at age 35, decided while touring Europe to eat a roasted chestnut. Never had one before, thought it looked tasty. SHe took one nibble, and within minutes, wished she hadn't -- if she hadn't been carrying Benadryl in her purse (which bought her some time to get to a hospital and a serious dose of epi), who knows what would have happened...

Life turns on a dime, so fast, and sometimes, so tragically. There may be absolutely nothing you can do about it, and yet, after the "turn" you are left to wonder and beat yourself up over it (if I had only done this, if I had only known that, etc.) I just cannot imagine the "what ifs" and the "if onlys" that poor family at WDW will be plaqued by, along with the awful reality that nothing ANYONE determines (or does as a result of this) will do the ONE thing they want -- bring their child back.

THoughts and prayers are surely with them.

Unbelievable....Thoughts and prayers to the family and those affected (CM's EMTs, Hospital staff, etc). Hopefully when more facts are determined, we can be better prepared to help prevent a future tragedy.

Peace,
G4L

gtrist4life said:
Unbelievable....Thoughts and prayers to the family and those affected (CM's EMTs, Hospital staff, etc). Hopefully when more facts are determined, we can be better prepared to help prevent a future tragedy.

Peace,
G4L
Those are very thoughtful and sensitive thoughts and prayers. When tragedy strikes, most people forget the first responders who deal with events like this every day. Thank you.

Whenever I hear something this sad and tragic, I just go and hug my kids. I give thanks for the blessings of healthy children and pray that the family has the strength ( and hopefully some faith) to help them get through this. It really makes you think about what's most important. :grouphug:

In one of the oddest quirks of the DIS I've ever seen, the mod moved another thread about this topic "The mood is so heavy and sad today" to the "Just For Fun" section of the DISboards.

Life turns on a dime, so fast, and sometimes, so tragically. There may be absolutely nothing you can do about it, and yet, after the "turn" you are left to wonder and beat yourself up over it (if I had only done this, if I had only known that, etc.) I just cannot imagine the "what ifs" and the "if onlys" that poor family at WDW will be plaqued by, along with the awful reality that nothing ANYONE determines (or does as a result of this) will do the ONE thing they want -- bring their child back.

Life just turned on a dime at my house yesterday, albeit the issue was not death. I am having a small taste of what this family is going through, can't even imagine the second guessing that is tearing their hearts out. I am praying for strength and healing for them.

I heard about this when I returned yesterday. I think they should have closed down the ride until they determined the cause of death. I think it was insensitive. I was in Disney, there the day it happened, and rode the ride the same hour. I had no clue.

I also had pondered the seizure theory, but I also think that Mission Space is an extremely disorienting, system-shocking ride and would be concerned about a very small child riding it because of the forces. I feel my chest being pushed in when I ride, and I wonder how a 35 or 40 pound child would feel. What if the child was very dehydrated from the heat? It was extremely hot that day, and I wonder if this could have contributed to a shock-like collapse.

In any case, I am very saddened by it and I think that the height/weight restrictions should be more strict. Additionally, I think they should have medical staff there observing people for things like dehydration, which can be very dangerous even by itself.

Thoughts and prayers to this family.

A friend of mine at work has a genetic disorder in his family. They discovered it when his 8 y/o son went into atrial fib (or something like that, I'm not sure of the terms) last year. The disorder makes it so the heart doesn't regulate itself properly - it won't beat correctly. There is no heart damage, as there is no heart attack, no issue with arteries etc etc. It's all kind of an electrical thing. Best way I know how to describe it.

My friend told me that if his son had died, they said an autopsy wouldn't have revealed the cause - because there is no damage involved. It was only through the genetic typing that they know what is wrong. He also said that he did exactly what was described with this child - he went very stiff first, then was limp.

He is now with a pacemaker. He can't go on any but the calmest rides. Can't be too active or excited etc. We talked a lot about what if - what if they hadn't discovered this when they did and had taken him on MS. Would he have survived it? Probably not. But the same would go for RNRC, ToT, even Splash Mountain. He can't go on any of them.

Height, weight and age requirements would not have saved him. He would be the one in a million child that would die on a ride and leave everyone wondering why.

Just a different perspective.

My thoughts and prayers also with the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter