Children’s menu and Out of pocket dining

Jmcmama

Earning My Ears
My 10 year old eats like a bird and we have quick service dining for our upcoming trip, which is fine for him ordering whatever he wants. However, this Saturday we have an out of pocket character meal booked at Storybook dining. The 12 year old, my husband and I will obviously be ordering off the adult menu but my tiny, picky 10 year old will only order noodles or chicken tenders. Will they charge him as and adult or let it slide and charge him as a child ? Once again, this is out of pocket so I really didn’t want to spend $60 on some chicken tenders for him to eat half anyway. It’s not like we are cashing in dining credits..... 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have a picky 12 year old who orders off the kids menu pretty often. We are always reminded by the waitstaff that whatever he orders he will be charged as an adult when it’s a prefix meal.

No cause you are ‘taking money from their pocket’ as your tip would be that much more with him paying Adult vs kid fees..

I would ask for adult size portion of what he orders off of the kids menu. It doesn't hurt to try.

Yes! Absolutely ask for a larger portion. I now automatically ask how many chicken fingers are in the kids order vs adult order wherever we dine. :) And with my kid, I have to say no sauces. Please do not have any honey mustard sauce on his plate! One splatter of sauce on a fry and he will refuse to eat it and send it back! Learned this in Applebee’s once and never forgot to say hold the sauce again!

With the appetizers so gourmet, and doubtful your child will eat anything, I’d ask for additional sides too. For instances, at Ohana my son gets chicken fingers with fries and a side of kids Mac & cheese. The servers are very accommodating.

I’d just make sure you are familiar with the kids menu in advance. Not every kids menu is the same.

Sadly they won’t, and they know most 10 years old are picky, still they cut the age for kids meal at 9. If it’s a place that you really want to try bite the bullet and enjoy! it’s a memory you’re making, take note and ask him for payback when he gets older Lol :rotfl2:

My 10 year old eats like a bird and we have quick service dining for our upcoming trip, which is fine for him ordering whatever he wants. However, this Saturday we have an out of pocket character meal booked at Storybook dining. The 12 year old, my husband and I will obviously be ordering off the adult menu but my tiny, picky 10 year old will only order noodles or chicken tenders. Will they charge him as and adult or let it slide and charge him as a child ? Once again, this is out of pocket so I really didn’t want to spend $60 on some chicken tenders for him to eat half anyway. It’s not like we are cashing in dining credits..... 🤷🏼‍♀️
So if it is an out of pocket meal how will they know if the kid is 10 or 9?

My kids have never been asked their age when checking in for a reservation or at a table.

OP, I agree with the previous poster who said asked for the adult sized portion. Then I would take the left overs back to the hotel room and your light eater has something to snack on later if he gets hungry. He may surprise you with how much he eats, considering how much walking occurs around the world!

So if it is an out of pocket meal how will they know if the kid is 10 or 9?
Well I’m thinking they wouldn’t if I called and made the res but I booked it through my account and we are obviously set up as a 4 person group with 10 and 12 year olds listed. So I’m assuming that is visible.

My kids have never been asked their age when checking in for a reservation or at a table.

OP, I agree with the previous poster who said asked for the adult sized portion. Then I would take the left overs back to the hotel room and your light eater has something to snack on later if he gets hungry. He may surprise you with how much he eats, considering how much walking occurs around the world!
i have had my grandkids asked their ages many times and the CM would wait for child to answer even if adult answered. usually not at check in but by the server

If you're staying onsite, which the OP has already said they were since they have the QS dining plan, Disney already has this info.

My kids have always been big for their ages - they were asked ALLLLL the time when they were "Disney kids" how old they were.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter