China 2010

On Wednesday, the ABD rep told me that our trip (June 13th) was 80% booked, with several kids aged 6-14. Looks like our trip will be a go...yay!

I just learned something really exciting about our tour. The World Fair will be in Shanghai from May 31 to October 2010. My husband thinks we will have enough free time while in Shanghai to visit! Our daughters also want to visit the Barbie store in Shanghai.

I am really getting excited!

I just learned something really exciting about our tour. The World Fair will be in Shanghai from May 31 to October 2010. My husband thinks we will have enough free time while in Shanghai to visit! Our daughters also want to visit the Barbie store in Shanghai.

I am really getting excited!
That *IS* very exciting! I saw the Worlds' Fair when it was in Vancouver in 1986, and it was really amazing. To see it in Shanghai sounds wonderful!

Barbie store??? :eek:

Sayhello

Apparently there is a huge pink Barbie store in Shanghai. She is very popular there and they have a store with dolls, clothes, a restaurant, and a spa. We had big plans to visit there before our trip was interrupted last year. Our ABD guide, Daisy, said it is really spectacular.

http://www.barbieshanghai.com/en/index.html

Our daughters are girly-girls and I think they would love it.

Oh my gosh 2GirlsMama - if my daughter hears where you are going we will have to join you!
I want to do the Expo - my cousin was in Shanghai last year and said the preparations were amazing - so much so that he is returning to see it this year!

That would be great, Disneyphx! The more the merrier! Daisy said it is very easy to get to the Barbie store. My oldest DD will probably act too cool, but the youngest DD will love every minute!

We are looking at doing the China trip in 2011, so I am interested in what your thoughts are after you get back. As there do not seem to be any "adults only" trips anymore (we did the adults only trip to Peru last year that was great), I would like your ideas as to what time of the year is better to visit.

We are staying an extra night in HK. Decided not to mess with moving hotels, keep the airport transfer etc.
We are going to do the HK tour on the last 'tour' day and spend our extra day at HK Disneyland.

This was also our idea, was it easy to add thru ABD? We added a day prior to our trip to Peru, and it was great to have a day to decompress before the tour started.

I will be following this thread to see what all your impressions are.

We are also booked for China July 4! So glad to hear of others on that trip. I am traveling w/ my daughter age 25 (but she loves kids!) who decided that she had reached "a quarter century" and it was time to see the world. She invited me instead of going w/ people her own age b/c "mom, you will want to do the silly things that I do, like seeing pandas and HK Disney"!! Looking forward to meeting those of you on our trip.

We are also planning to go to the Expo in Shanghai. Daughter's company will have some installations there (she works in "interactive digital media"). ABD tells me that we are on our own for getting tix, transportation, etc for the Expo so we will likely purchase tix before we go. It would be great to have others to travel with to go there. It is supposed to be amazing!

I am surprised the ABD is not including the World Expo on our trip...curious.
Guess I need to check out how to buy tickets in advance! Maybe I won't tell DD about Barbie store and instead visit the World Expo.

We are looking at doing the China trip in 2011, so I am interested in what your thoughts are after you get back. As there do not seem to be any "adults only" trips anymore (we did the adults only trip to Peru last year that was great), I would like your ideas as to what time of the year is better to visit.

Hi Lynn!
So excited to hear you might be doing this trip next year!
Regarding the best time of year...we booked the May departure to try and beat the heat a little. But, from what everyone keeps telling me, it will still be a scorcher.

Called my travel agent today to pay off balance (paying a few days early) but since we are from Canada our dollar is doing really well with the US dollar, and we wanted to take advantage of the exchange rate while it is really good.

Our travel agent also found out for us that our trip (July 18) is 92% booked with a lot of kids on the trip ranging in age from 6 - 17 including our two, so that will be great.

Just wondering where are all those people, have they not heard of the disboards yet:rolleyes: LOL!!

Hi Lynn!
So excited to hear you might be doing this trip next year!
Regarding the best time of year...we booked the May departure to try and beat the heat a little. But, from what everyone keeps telling me, it will still be a scorcher.

It looked to me like it was always raining! We will probably book early spring or early fall (if there are trips then) because we usually prefer "off season".

We have been to China three times. Each time we visited in July and each time it was hotter than hot! I like warm weather, but the rest of my family was melting! It's like the song: "Hot, Hot, Hot"!

Given the hot temperatures and likely rainy conditions, what are you bringing to wear in the rain? I'm debating whether to bring simple, inexpensive ponchos or invest in better rain gear--gortex, etc.

Also, my doctor recently suggested Hep A vaccines. Anybody else getting those?

Our family has had Hep A shots previously, due to other travel, so we are covered on that, wondering the same thing as you are about the rain jackets, inexpensive poncho or something more substantial?

I already bought some walking sandals that are supposed to dry very quickly, by husband wants to wear socks and runners, but if they get wet I don't think that they will be very comfortable.

We are also planning to go to the Expo in Shanghai. Daughter's company will have some installations there (she works in "interactive digital media"). ABD tells me that we are on our own for getting tix, transportation, etc for the Expo so we will likely purchase tix before we go. It would be great to have others to travel with to go there. It is supposed to be amazing!

Please tell us what you find out. We're planning on going to the Expo when we're there on the late June tour.

(Wish someone else going on that tour was on these boards...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter