Choosing a laptop for DS college

We're taking a slightly different approach. Initially DD17 was looking at some really pricey laptops, but she decided she liked the feel of a tablet with a detachable keyboard for notes and study. Many schools have testing software that doesn't play well with tablets, so we got her a 256GB iPad w/keyboard and Apple pen since she'll be using that more. She gave her larger laptop to her younger sister since it's not campus walking friendly and we'll be buying her a smaller, backpack/walking friendly one. I anticipate spending in the $250-350 range for said laptop.

Macs seem expensive until you realize how long they remain functional.
Wish my daughter was here to explain her specific experience with Macs. In a nut shell, the short time they remained functional was why after 8 years and 2 Mac Book Pros, she built her own PC desktop. That was 7 years ago and that PC is still going strong. She does a lot of video editing at home as a side gig. She did buy a Surface during the pandemic to use exclusively for Zoom, so she didn't have to toggle between windows when working remotely.

Is there anything specific that he needs Windows for? For papers, web surfing, general stuff, a Chromebook may be the answer. I've been very happy with mine for the last 4 years that I paid about $200 for. You can find them for less than that.
I wouldn't recommend that $350 you linked from Amazon just because of the processor. To run Windows well you need at least an Intel Core i series or an AMD Ryzen line. A Celeron is not going to work how you want it to. I won't recommend Apple because of their closed ecosystem and high initial cost.
Look at Tiger Direct for business return Windows laptops or Chromebooks that are going to be a better price point.

I'm not sold on Chromebooks. Don't know why, maybe because I'm "old school"?
I get it--I'm the same way. I was looking for a cheap 2nd laptop when DW commandeered our Macbook. Admittedly I'm comparing it to an 11 y/o laptop, but I've really enjoyed it--it's light, fast and reliable.

I get it--I'm the same way. I was looking for a cheap 2nd laptop when DW commandeered our Macbook. Admittedly I'm comparing it to an 11 y/o laptop, but I've really enjoyed it--it's light, fast and reliable.
DS' GF had/has a chromebook. She could never get it set up with a printer. So anything she needs printed, she emails to DS. :crazy: Might just be the Chromebook that she has.

DS' GF had/has a chromebook. She could never get it set up with a printer. So anything she needs printed, she emails to DS. :crazy: Might just be the Chromebook that she has.

Is the printer on wifi? It should never be an issue as long as they are on the same network. My kids have always had no issues printing on our wifi printers (we've been through 3 in the 8 years they have been using Chrome books for school).

Is the printer on wifi? It should never be an issue as long as they are on the same network. My kids have always had no issues printing on our wifi printers (we've been through 3 in the 8 years they have been using Chrome books for school).
We have a brand new (wifi) printer in a box. We gave it to her to have. They couldn't figure out the printing. Don't know if it was user error or not.

I've never tried to set up this Chromebook with a printer, so I can't speak to that.

Generally, I've had real headaches over the years setting up printers on a wireless network with Windows and Apple computers. I had an HP Laserjet that I almost went Office Space on after spending about 7 hours trying to get it to work with my MacBook.

office-space-fax-machine.gif

We have a brand new (wifi) printer in a box. We gave it to her to have. They couldn't figure out the printing. Don't know if it was user error or not.
There are only certain printers that will work with Chromebooks. It does take a little work to figure out but now I can print from my Chromebooks the same as I can on my Windows gaming machine.

There are only certain printers that will work with Chromebooks. It does take a little work to figure out but now I can print from my Chromebooks the same as I can on my Windows gaming machine.
If I can't get DS to take his laptop to the help desk to figure out the wifi issue, there's no way he's going to figure out how to print. :rotfl2:

I don't have any recommendation about PC vs. Mac, but if you are looking for a "cheaper" PC, Asus and Acer are reliable names in the lower-cost market. I'd stay away from Chromebooks. I teach organic chem labs at the local University, and the program that students are required to use for lab reports isn't compatible with Chromebooks. Kids have to go to the library to do the work. I know that there are similar issues in the bio and engineering departments. Also- look for a machine with a USB port if at all possible. The intro bio course uses in-lab instrumentation but the students need to download the data onto a flash drive. More and more laptops don't have USB ports anymore.

I'm fully behind a parent/family contribution to the early Christmas/birthday computer fund if it is at all possible. An extra $50-$100 in the budget can make a considerable improvement in performance when it comes to lower end electronics.

If you are a member, check out Costco. Over the years, they seemed to have better specs for similar pricing to other retailers.

If you are a member, check out Costco. Over the years, they seemed to have better specs for similar pricing to other retailers.
Great thought. Not a member though. We belonged to Sam's club DECADES ago, but neither is convenient for us and not worth the membership fee (for us).

Stay far away from Chromebooks. Too many times I have seen a student get a chromebook and need a specific program but the chromebook can't use it.

This is similar to your price range (the 1TB is what I have linked but the 256 gig is cheaper if he wants to use an external storage device). He could also save more by getting the Windows "safe" verison but I'm not sure of the restrictions.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...aptop/spd/inspiron-15-3520-laptop/nn3520gknqs

The biggest thing to remember is he won't be able to play most graphics heavy games. These level of laptops are legit school work, web browsing, and streaming only.

Stay far away from Chromebooks. Too many times I have seen a student get a chromebook and need a specific program but the chromebook can't use it.

This is similar to your price range (the 1TB is what I have linked but the 256 gig is cheaper if he wants to use an external storage device). He could also save more by getting the Windows "safe" verison but I'm not sure of the restrictions.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...aptop/spd/inspiron-15-3520-laptop/nn3520gknqs

The biggest thing to remember is he won't be able to play most graphics heavy games. These level of laptops are legit school work, web browsing, and streaming only.
With the S mode, you can only install apps from the Windows store. Defeats the purpose of having a Windows machine and would end up with the same limitations as the Chromebook. At that link there is an AMD machine that would be about what the OP is looking for for $379.99. An i7 is overkill for most machines and adds a lot to the price.

With the S mode, you can only install apps from the Windows store. Defeats the purpose of having a Windows machine and would end up with the same limitations as the Chromebook. At that link there is an AMD machine that would be about what the OP is looking for for $379.99. An i7 is overkill for most machines and adds a lot to the price.
Thanks for the tip on S mode. Wouldn't have known that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter