Christmas 2003 - Who's sailing (20-27 Dec 03)?

Ginny

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We're looking forward to "Enchanted Holidays" aboard the Magic!! There will be 4 of us (Myself, DH, DS (16) and DD (8 - turns 9 on New Year's Eve!!). This will be our 4th cruise (1st Western) and we are so excited. We booked 2 years ago (through DU)!! As of today, we have less than 150 days until sailing!!

Our last cruise was Halloween '01 and we had the most incredible group of DIS'ers who really helped make it a very special cruise!

Anyone else joining us for Christmas 2003 aboard the Magic?

Yea! We finally have a thread! I was beginning to feel like there were only a few of us on this cruise! (maybe there are??) This is our 2nd cruise-we did the Wonder around Xmas last year so I know what the decorations are going to be like. It is just my DS, soon-to-be 10, and myself. Last year when we went on the Wonder, the Magic was quarantined for a week at the port, so hopefully there won't be a repeat of the Norwalk virus this December!

Hi, Julie -

We are so glad to know there are others going, too. How exciting for you to be able to be a part of that holiday magic all over again!! I have been checking the boards from time to time to see if a thread had been started but this morning I did a search and couldn't find one so decided to jump in.

We are flying down on Friday the 19th and can't wait. We were on the waiting list for SOG for a few days after our return on the 27th but since they have delayed the re-opening, I think we will be heading home full of 7 days of great memories without adding park time.

I hope there will be many others joining us for what promises to be a great week!!

Ginny

We'll be there too myself and my DH, first time cruisers flying in from the UK, I just can't wait
See you on board:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Lynn-
Congratulations on your first cruise and welcome to the DIS! These boards are full of great information on everything from excursions to packing tips to special inside information. I learn something new on each cruise. Plus, there just seems to be something special about the people on this board.

My next plan is to go back to a couple of other favorite links (Dave from Marietta and Barb and Tony's sites) and check out the latest Navigators and start researching the Western excursions.

It should be fun!!

Hi Ginny and Lynn! What cabins do you have? We are 2066. We fly in the 18th and are going to ASMU for those 2 days because my son has to see the Haunted Mansion over and over again, then we are going to Mickey's Christmas Party on the 19th until midnight. But we'll probably be in the port about 1100. When we did land and sea last December we didn't get to port until 1245 and then it took another hour to get on board and I felt rushed to unpack, eat and do the safety drill. So I want to get there early. Plus we didn't see much of the terminal! Ginny, I have stayed at SOG too and have been wondering about the renovations. It has been taking them forever! Lynn, I hope you're flying in the day before to recover from your flight! Talk to you soon!

:o We are flying in on the 19th, we arrive at MCO at 3pm and I've booked tickets for MVMCP!! We'll be absolutely shattered but I couldn't miss such an opportunity. The last couple of times we've come over the pond we've managed to stay up until about 10pm to start to get our body clocks adjusted. We're staying at the Poly, We won't have a problem getting up the next morning but I hope we can stay awake for the safety drill, I think we might be caught napping LOL.
We are in 7502.
Speak to you again soon.
Lynn

Julie -

MVMCP sounds like a great idea and what a way to start your cruise! I am so jealous!! MVMCP was just wonderful last year. We spent 6 days at WDW in mid-December and stayed at the Contemporary. Although it rained almost the entire week, we had such a good time that night with no rain. The fireworks were awesome! During the parade, Santa leaned over and looked right at DD and said "Hi, its so good to see you again. So glad you came tonite." The look of magic in her face and smile will stay with me forever!! What a night.

I think we are going to stay at the Hyatt on the 19th and head to port the next AM...............at least that is tonight's agenda. You never know - Now you've got me thinking about MVMCP. :Pinkbounc

Ginny, originally we were going to fly in the 19th and stay at the port, but then I priced ASMU at $60/night and got a good deal on a rental car so we went with that. We also went to MVMCP last year on the 1st night and it was COLD! They almost cancelled the 2nd parade because it was so cold and the fireworks never went off. They were having "technical problems". So hopefully now that we are going the LAST night of MVMCP everything will be running. And Lynn will be there with bloodshot eyes! You'll have to be American and drink coffee! I hope they have the new coffee bar on the Magic for our trip. I could use a real fattening latte during our cruise!

Julie
Now ther's something good to come over from the US. Yummy latte, when is this coffee bar open?
We were in Disney for the very first time last Christmas, it absolutely poured on Christmas eve and all the parades were cancelled. Then to add insult to injury it poured on New Years eve too. Oh well it made us feel right at home. Better luck this year!!
Lynn

Julie and Lynn -

Well, great minds must think alike.........even across the ocean! Your idea got me thinking and I talked to DH and he thought it sounded terrific to go down a couple of days early and hit MVMCP, too, instead of staying after the cruise. So, we will see what happens!!

I've looked at the excursions for the Western and the one I really wanted to do was the 12 Meter Regatta but it looks like they don't have it anymore. I will have to do a search and see if I can find out why. Since we booked this in August of 01, I haven't done much research in the last 18 months and need to get to work!!

DD reminded me yesterday about Tea with Wendy and the Mickey 200 (families build "racecars" using potatoes and carrots) so I will be checking out the latest navigators to find out about the different activities, now!!

Lynn, I'm not sure if this is your first cruise ever or your first DCL cruise but there are several REALLY helpful threads about what to pack, best DCL cruise ideas and others and the advice is priceless (extension cords, over the door shoe holders, etc). DIS'ers are very creative and I print out those ideas from time to time. Many of the ideas save on space and "hunting time" because you aren't searching for stuff. Hope they are helpful. Here is a link to a summary thread which also has a link to the original with all explanations (which I think one of our fellow cruisers pulled together):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388591&highlight=+IDEAS

And, a second one:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397151&highlight=+IDEAS

Gotta run - the clock is ticking to get ready for work but I wanted to check in!! Have a great day.

Thank-you Ginny for all the links. It is our 1st proper cruise ever and one of my hubby's long awaited dreams. I tend to be a little active for him on holidays, but he's found that when I'm on a ship I calm down cos I know I'm going somewhere so he gets some peace and quiet!
Of course once I'd agreed to the cruise he left it to me to organise so Disney was an obvious choice after the amazing holiday we had there last year.
I've been to quite a few sites to get info for this holiday so if there's anything I can help you with as well please ask away. it won't be 1st hand knowledge but what I've managed to pick up.
Great that you are thinking about MVMCP I hear it's alot of fun
Lynn

are either or you going to swim with the stringrays? We want to (although my son probably won't get in the water) but I can't decide which company to go with. Everyone has their definite opinions on this boards! I'll probably go with DCL since I feel "safe" with them and I also want to go to the seven mile beach. We're doing Tulum in Cozumel which sounds like a good way to burn off all the food I'll be eating!

We wanted to do so much in Cayman that I couldn't fit it in using the Disney tours, so...
We're doing snorkeling and Stingrays with Capt Marvin very early the short trip. Then hiring a car we hope to drive to Hell and the Turtle farm and then stop for lunch and afternoon snooze on the beach for a couple of hours before heading back to port and doing the Sub tour ( booked this ourselves as the time fitted in better). Have been told that in Cayman you drive on the correct side of the road LOL, and apparently the distances aren't great. It will be a busy day but I figured we're only likely to be there the once!
Does that help?
Lynn

Julie - I know DS (16) and DH will be doing some scuba diving in Cozumel. That is one of my "boys'" grand plans. They have it all worked out!! :) I haven't made any further excursion plans although I think I will start really looking this weekend. We swam with the Dolphins in Nassau on our own on our second DCL cruise in Jan 00 and it was such a great experience (cold but great).

Today, I was able to get ressies at Wilderness Lodge through SOG for a few days before we sail (guess I ought to mention that to my new boss) so now I have to get serious, pin everyone down and make some decisions. It looks like it is time to pull out my handy-dandy WDW/DCL Excel Spreadsheet that I developed after I started reading these boards 4 years ago!!

Julie -

I'm sorry I confused you.......Disney is still allowing SOG to homebase in the Contemporary until the SOG renovations are complete but because they were booked and the SOG waiting list was full, I asked for "roll-over" rates to one of the WDW hotels. I was really lucky because they had space before and after Christmas. We have always wanted to stay at Wilderness Lodge so we thought we would try it this trip. POR will always be our favorite but because our children are growing up, double beds just don't work as well anymore.

I just can't wait to walk into Parrot Cay and have some nice jumbo shrimp and head to our stateroom and quickly unpack before DD's favorite activity (not), the lifeboat drill. She is truly so mellow about everything in life but one of the few things she really hates is standing there with her lifejacket on. She understands why it is important, she is very cooperative but she simply hates it!! It has become a family joke!! And, then it is off to the sail-away party!! What fun.

we love POR too! But we would love to stay at AKL &/or WL someday. Next we're staying at the Dolphin because I got a nurses rate. Does anyone else think those life jackets are difficult to fasten? There were too many cords, etc. And yes, I love the shrimp too. Last December, the staff was serving the buffet food so I didn't want to seem like a pig and tell them to load up my plate. Hopefully we can serve ourselves this year!

Julie and Lynn -

Julie, Congrats on the great room rate at the Dolphin - I have always thought it looked beautiful - especially at night! I vote with you on the self-serve wishes.

Lynn, your schedule in Cayman sounds awesome!! I could never keep up with you! LOL But, you are right - you may never get the chance again and as we have always said: You can sleep in your next life!! Other Dis'ers booked the Atlantis sub tour themselves on our Halloween 01 Eastern cruise and had much more room (trip was definitely not full), better schedule and paid less than we did. So, we will be thinking about trying different things this time.

Have either of you read of any changes after dry-dock? I know they are moving Common Grounds to the ESPN Skybox and building the new coffee bar but I wondered if there had been more discussions on itineraries and shows. Since this is our first Western, I am happy witht he current itinerary but thought I read somewhere about potential changes. Also, I have enjoyed all the shows but the one I can watch over and over is Disney Dreams and I can't wait to see it again.

Uh-oh, it's 4:30 - I'll turn into a Pumpkin if I don't start getting dressed for work! Have a great day.

hmmm. Maybe we will have the cruise to ourselves! ha ha. I KNOW other people have signed up on the cruise list. I was under the impression from my AAA TA that Xmas cruises are popular!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter